+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FIFA Women's World Cup 2007

FIFA Women's World Cup 2007

As a huge fan of Team USA and women's soccer in general, I've been getting up before dawn to watch. With a win, draw, or no more than a 2 goal loss, team USA will win their group and advance to play England in the quarter-finals.

I've also enjoyed watching Marta on the Brazilian team. She's nothing short of brilliant!

Anyone else watching? Who are your favorites?
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

FORT Fogey

Re: FIFA Women's World Cup 2007

Yes, they are good but not as good as last world cup. i have seen part of the game against nigeria.

It's unfortunate the Mia Hamm is still the most recognizable "star" to the majority of the american public.

Mia Hamm is undeniably the face of women's soccer and deservedly so. It is unfortunate for the sport that no one has been able to step up and fill her shoes since her retirement. However, for those of us who have followed the US team for so long, there are other recognizable "stars." Abby Wambach is no Mia Hamm but fun to watch and dangerous with her headers. And don't forget Kristine Lilly, the 20 year veteran, who's still playing hard. They, as well as others, may not have the household name that Mia has, but they are still heroes of the game.

Tomorrow's matchup between the US and Brazil will be a physical one. The Americans have won 18 of 22 games against Brazil and both of their World Cup meetings. Still, a win for the US here won't be easy. The Brazilians are led by the impressive Marta and Christiane. Even with a win, we'd still need to defeat Germany(assuming a win over Norway) to win the cup. That'd be no easy task!

I saw the end of the Germany/Norway game. It looks like whoever faces Germany in the final will have a tough task ahead.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

I'm disappointed and surprised at the 4-0 US loss today. Brazil completely outplayed our girls. Marta was incredible as expected. That fourth and final goal was spectacular!

Coach Greg Ryan is under a lot of criticism for starting Scurry rather than Solo. It did appear to be a panicky move and could have affected the players. However, Scurry's record against Brazil seemed the best option versus Solo's inexperience. I'm more riled over Shannon Boxx's controversial yellow card. It was her second of the game resulting in an automatic red and now she'll have to sit out the Norway match for third place. I've watched and rewatched it and she was actually clipped from behind and did not initiate contact.

Germany won the Cup and set two records...first team to repeat and first team to win without conceding a goal in any game. They played a near flawless tournament and deserved the win; but after reading a heartfelt interview with a couple of the Brazilians, I found myself rooting for Brazil in the final. They really wanted a win in hopes it would improve things in their country. I think they are the team to watch over the next few years. Marta is only 21 and sure to be around wowing soccer fans for a while.

+ Reply to Thread