+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2007

Re: College Football 2007

Ana, good luck in the game this weekend. It looks like our teams are playing each other!

It should be a great game! Michigan is coming off of a big win, and a lot of people claim that PSU may be 3-0 but hasn't beaten anyone of worth.

Is your stadium planning a "Code Blue" or "Maize out" or whatever it would be called? I need to plan my Penn State attire accordingly. If Michigan fans are all wearing blue, I'll have on my Penn State white.

MRD

I have a college football question.

I just watched "We are Marshall" and they had to petition the NCAA to let them play freshman players the year after the planecrash when they were trying to rebuild the team. (1971)

Anyone know when the NCAA changed its rules and allowed freshman in all colleges to play?

And my other (possibly dumb) question is that in watching the movie, they called a "clipping" penalty. I haven't seen a penalty for clipping in years. I had even forgotten it was a penalty. Is clipping no longer considered a penatly or they just don't clip anymore or what?

If you have not seen the movie, it is very powerful.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD.... I've tried to call around but I cannot get an answer to when they started to allow freshmen to play in football. I'm at a loss there.

Clipping is still a valid penalty... just saw one last weekend. I think they normally call the same penalty "Illegal block from the back" as I certainly don't think guys have stopped blocking below the knee. I'll ask some of my football geeks at work tomorrow.

I loved that movie and agree that it was very powerful, (despite McConaughey )

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2577341;
    MRD.... I've tried to call around but I cannot get an answer to when they started to allow freshmen to play in football. I'm at a loss there.

Clipping is still a valid penalty... just saw one last weekend. I think they normally call the same penalty "Illegal block from the back" as I certainly don't think guys have stopped blocking below the knee. I'll ask some of my football geeks at work tomorrow.

I loved that movie and agree that it was very powerful, (despite McConaughey )
    Thanks so much. I wasn't a football fan until I went to college, so if it happened before 1980, I don't know that much about it. Mr. MRD also said he hadn't heard a clipping penalty in ages either, but that the "illegal block from the back" is one that he hears and once he said that, I did remember hearing it a few times recently. So is it just a different name for the same penalty? I thought clipping was a hit from behind at knee level.

I did find out that the NCAA allowed freshman to play in 1972 and that the Marshall ruling had a lot to do with their universal decision the next season. The internet is a fantastic place!

It was a great movie. I just couldn't get over how ugly they made McConaughey.
    It also upped my opinion on Bobby Bowden a LOT.

Maybe the Ref who called "clipping" is old school. Seems like it is mostly called an illegal block in the back. I still call it clipping, because I'm old school , really old school...

can hardly wait for saturday!
    Tahoe bound....

MRD

Well it's game day folks. Good luck to all the teams, except the one playing Florida today!

How about them Buckeyes! Pounded Northwestern 58 -7. I'm sure Ashley didn't enjoy her visit to Ann Arbor as Michigan upset the #10 Nittany Lions 14 - 9. My Michigan fan cooks will be gloating tomorrow but I'll take care of them real quick.

Splitting my time between Washington and Los Angeles

USC beat WSU 47-14... I think we know who the number 1 team will be come Monday.

MRD

Kind of a nail biter, but Florida beat Ole Miss 30-24. For a fairly young team (defense is 75% new players) we've definetly got some problems to work out, but they did fairly well. We just need a pass-rush. Would make a big difference.

USF beat NC and are still undefeated. UCF won. Florida's teams are doing well. Except......

.... I see that the Florida State Crim-i-noles have sent two more to jail and suspended them from the team.

How about them Buckeyes! Pounded Northwestern 58 -7

to Michigan State for fulfilling half of their season's destiny. Now if only they can defeat the forces of evil when their version of the Michigan game comes up . . .
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread