+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Federal grand jury indicts Vick in dogfighting case

Re: Federal grand jury indicts Vick in dogfighting case

It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Leo
    Premium Member

Well what do you know. Someone else is saying exactly the wrong thing about dogfighting.

KNICK STICKS UP FOR VICK | By JENNIFER FERMINO | New York News | New York City News | NY News

KNICK STICKS UP FOR VICK
    By JENNIFER FERMINO

August 22, 2007 -- Embattled Atlanta Falcon Michael Vick has a friend -- and fellow doggie disrespecter -- in Stephon Marbury.

"I think we don't say anything about people who shoot deer or shoot other animals," the Knick point guard told Capital News 9, an Albany TV station. "You know, from what I understand, dogfighting is a sport. It's just behind closed doors.

"I think it's tough that we build up Michael Vick and then we break him down."

Vick agreed last week to plead guilty to federal dogfighting and conspiracy charges.

Some of Vick's teammates shared Marbury's support.

"Mike is very human," Alge Crumpler, who who came into the NFL at the same time as Vick, said. "I think this whole ordeal has kind of dehumanized him for the last couple of months. But he's hurting. I do know that. That's a fact. He is hurting."

Others disagreed.

"He's not on the team," running back Warrick Dunn said. "That pretty much makes him an ex-teammate."

Vick is likely to be sentenced to at least a year in prison -- and perhaps longer -- after he enters his guilty plea next week. He also faces certain punishment from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell under a tougher personal conduct policy that went into effect this year. Vick is expected to miss at least two seasons before he can even think about a comeback.

Coach Bobby Petrino addressed the situation with his players, gauging their feelings and trying to get a handle on how they wanted to express it.

Some wanted to talk. Some didn't.

The Falcons won't be making an immediate decision on Vick's future, having been asked by the NFL to hold off until the league gets a report from its own investigator.

That hasn't stopped some players from trying to reach out to Vick, offering support as he faces the possibility of a lengthy prison term. Crumpler and offensive tackle Wayne Gandy have both been sending frequent text messages, trying to let the quarterback know that he's not alone.

"It's kind of hard," offensive tackle Wayne Gandy conceded. "You don't really know what to say."

"I try to send him a positive note every day," Crumpler added. "I want to make sure he keeps his head up."

Post wire services contributed to this report.

He's getting off far too easy. It's especially apparent when one of his primary concerns is how this'll affect his career. He should be more concerned with how wrong what he did was.

Mike is very human," Alge Crumpler, who who came into the NFL at the same time as Vick, said. "I think this whole ordeal has kind of dehumanized him for the last couple of months. But he's hurting. I do know that. That's a fact. He is hurting."

As far as I'm concerned Michael Vick was dehumanized for more than a couple months....he enjoyed dogfighting. That's not a pasttime that enriches the quality of human life. What astounded me was reading some of the comments made on the Fox Sports poll about what punishment Vick should receive...30% voted no punishment at all. Well, maybe Stephon Marbury can hook Vick up w/ a contract for some of his reasonably priced footwear, because I wonder if Nike will keep him on the payroll, especially if Tiger Woods comes on board in the near future as a part owner. Tiger who was pictured w/ his wife and daughter and 2 dogs, a golden doodle and a border collie.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by psucashcow;2541020;
    Mike is very human," Alge Crumpler, who who came into the NFL at the same time as Vick, said. "I think this whole ordeal has kind of dehumanized him for the last couple of months. But he's hurting. I do know that. That's a fact. He is hurting."

As far as I'm concerned Michael Vick was dehumanized for more than a couple months....he enjoyed dogfighting. That's not a pasttime that enriches the quality of human life. What astounded me was reading some of the comments made on the Fox Sports poll about what punishment Vick should receive...30% voted no punishment at all. Well, maybe Stephon Marbury can hook Vick up w/ a contract for some of his reasonably priced footwear, because I wonder if Nike will keep him on the payroll, especially if Tiger Woods comes on board in the near future as a part owner. Tiger who was pictured w/ his wife and daughter and 2 dogs, a golden doodle and a border collie.
    I believe Nike dropped Vick a few weeks back. And another ignominy,Topps the football card compant has removed all the Vick cards from their inventory. This man is an absolute disgrace & deserves whatever punishment the Judge deems reasonable within the bounds of the guilty plea.

NFL Indefinitely Suspends Michael Vick

NFL suspends quarterback Michael Vick indefinitely after he files plea - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

NFL suspends quarterback Michael Vick indefinitely after he files plea

By LARRY O'DELL, Associated Press Writer
    August 24, 2007

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- The NFL indefinitely suspended Michael Vick without pay Friday just hours after he acknowledged in court papers that he did, indeed, bankroll gambling on dogfighting and helped kill some dogs not worthy of the pit.
    Vick, however, insisted he placed no bets of his own nor took any winnings.
    In disciplining Vick, commissioner Roger Goodell said Vick's admitted conduct was "not only illegal but also cruel and reprehensible" and regardless whether he personally placed bets, "your actions in funding the betting and your association with illegal gambling both violate the terms of your NFL player contract and expose you to corrupting influences in derogation of one of the most fundamental responsibilities of an NFL player."
    Goodell freed the Falcons to "assert any claims or remedies" to recover $22 million of Vick's signing bonus from the 10-year, $130 million contract he signed in 2004.
    The commissioner didn't speak to Vick but based his deicison on the court filings. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Goodell may meet with Vick in the future, but that hasn't been determined.
    You have engaged in conduct detrimental to the welfare of the NFL and have violated the league's personal conduct policy," Goodell told Vick in a letter.
    Earlier Friday, a "summary of facts" signed by Vick was filed along with his written plea agreement on a federal dogfighting conspiracy charge. He will appear before U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson to formally plead guilty Monday and then await sentencing at a later date.
    The court documents and a statement by Vick's legal team seek to portray him as less involved in the dogfighting ring than three co-defendants who previously pleaded guilty and agreed to testify against the Atlanta Falcons quarterback.
    "While Mr. Vick is not personally charged with or responsible for committing all of the acts alleged in the indictment, as with any conspiracy charge, he is taking full responsibility for his actions and the actions of the others involved," the defense team said in a written statement after the plea agreement was filed.
    "Mr. Vick apologizes for his poor judgment in associating himself with those involved in dog fighting and realizes he should never have been involved in this conduct," the statement said.
    Vick signed the plea agreement late Thursday.
    "Most of the Bad Newz Kennels operation and gambling monies were provided by Vick," the summary of facts said, echoing language in plea agreements by the three co-defendants.
    The statement said that when the kennel's dogs won, the gambling proceeds were generally shared by Vick's three co-defendants -- Tony Taylor, Purnell Peace and Quanis Phillips.
    "Vick did not gamble by placing side bets on any of the fights. Vick did not receive any of the proceeds of the purses that were won by Bad Newz Kennels," the summary said.
    According to the statement, Vick also was involved with the others in killing six to eight dogs that did not perform well in testing sessions last April. The dogs were executed by drowning or hanging.
    "Vick agrees and stipulates that these dogs all died as a result of the collective efforts" of Vick, Phillips and Peace, the statement said.
    In the plea agreement, the government committed to recommending a sentence on the low end of the federal sentencing guideline range of a year to 18 months. However, the conspiracy charge is punishable by up to five years in prison, and the judge is not bound by any recommendation or by the guidelines.
    Hudson has a reputation for imposing stiff sentences, according to lawyers who have appeared in his court. The judge will set a sentencing date at Monday's hearing.
    "Our position has been that we are going to try to help Judge Hudson understand all the facts and Michael's role," Vick's defense attorney, Billy Martin, said in telephone interview. "Michael's role was different than others associated with this incident."
    Martin said Vick will "speak to the public and explain his actions." Though he declined to say when and where, the Tom Joyner Morning Show, a syndicated program based in Dallas, said it will have a live interview with Vick on Tuesday.
    The U.S. attorney's office, which has declined to comment on the case, said it would issue a statement after the hearing.
    The case began in April when authorities conducting a drug investigation of Vick's cousin raided a Surry County property owned by Vick and found dozens of dogs, some injured, and equipment commonly used in dogfighting.
    A federal indictment issued in July charged Vick, Peace, Phillips and Taylor with an interstate dogfighting conspiracy. Vick initially denied any involvement, and all four men pleaded innocent.
    Taylor was the first to change his plea to guilty, saying Vick financed the dogfighting ring's gambling and operations. Peace and Phillips soon followed, alleging that Vick joined them in killing dogs that did not measure up in test fights.
    The sickening details outlined in the indictment and other court papers prompted a public backlash against Vick, who had been one of the NFL's most popular players.
    As animal-rights groups mobilized against Vick and sponsors dropped him, Vick was barred from the Falcons training camp, but neither the NFL nor the team have taken further action.
    NFL writer Dave Goldberg in New York and Associated Press Writers Matthew Barakat in McLean, Va., and Michael Felberbaum in Richmond contributed to this report.

As an editorial aside, I say good riddance Bozo.

I think he'll play again in the NFL. After he gets out of prison, I have a feeling he'll be playing still which he should be able too after he gets out.

Re: NFL Indefinitely Suspends Michael Vick

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2544350;
    It better stay indefinite. They acted a little, okay a lot late, in this case and I still don't "forgive" them for that. But I'm glad it's official. Mind you how much could he have really played from prison?

Bozo is right!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonator;2545844;
    I think he'll play again in the NFL. After he gets out of prison, I have a feeling he'll be playing still which he should be able too after he gets out.
    I do think he'll play some form of football again, but not in the NFL (assuming he's in reasonable shape and a reasonable age when he gets out). There are "American" football leagues in Europe, and someone somewhere will be willing to pay him for his enormous talent, in order for their team to win.

I do continue to be personally outraged and offended that there was never this much uproar over Ray Lewis, when he stood accused. Ray Carruth didn't get this type of coverage and inspire this type of venom, either. To me, that's just plain wrong.
    Last edited by MissThing; 08-26-2007 at 06:43 AM.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Re: NFL Indefinitely Suspends Michael Vick

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2545905;
    It better stay indefinite. They acted a little, okay a lot late, in this case and I still don't "forgive" them for that. But I'm glad it's official. Mind you how much could he have really played from prison?

Bozo is right!
    The NFL was waiting to see just exactly what he was going to plead to before they issued their punishment. The Falcons had to wait on the NFL before they were freed up to go after the leftover signing bonus money.

I for one don't think we will ever see him back in the NFL unless it's as a kick returner or something. He is going to miss at the very least the next 2 seasons while cooling his heels behind bars & that's a great way to watch his QB skills erode. Besides I believe that any owner that tried to bring him back would face some serious fan backlash.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast