+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Federal grand jury indicts Vick in dogfighting case

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

Re: N F L 2007

Vick has been told by the league commissioner to stay home during training camp. There is a Falcons' press conference this afternoon.

Re: NFL--Football 2007

Do you know if that was a "suggestion" or a suspension?

It was a very strong "suggestion."
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2488403;
    Do you know if that was a "suggestion" or a suspension?
    He hasn't been suspended (yet). I think that'll come within the next week or so.

The Falcons can only suspend him for four games, it they choose to suspend him at all. And, if the team does it, the NFLPA is obliged to enter the fray, on his behalf.

Nobody wants him out for only four games, so the league told him to stay away for now, and it will complete it's review of the charges before taking further action.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next. Logically, he'd be suspended for the season (or some large number of games) or released outright by the Falcons. However, I'm starting to hear some rumors that there's great fear that Michael Vick isn't alone, not in this specific instance, but that there are many pro athletes involved in this type of activity. I have no idea if those rumors have legs or not (much less truth).

Just earlier today, I was thinking that Bud Selig has a cake walk, and Roger Godell wasn't too badly off, compare to David Stern. I watched David Stern's press conference today, along with Roger Godell's. I've never seen David Stern that shaken.

But man, oh man, if this dog fighting business is wide-spread, that's a head and heart ache that I wouldn't wish on any commissioner. One guy is one guy. A league full of guys, be they dirty refs, or inhumane players, that's tough to manage and spin.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Vick - Dog Killer?!!

If he is guilty, he is a very sick man and should go to jail. Forever. JMHO
    ----------------------------

Vick's NFL career in jeopardy

HE KILLED DOGS. By hanging them. By drowning them. By body slamming them. By huddling with another man and calling an atrocious audible: death by electrocution.

Michael Vick is a dog killer. So says a federal indictment.

Michael Vick is no longer a viable NFL quarterback.

Today, he's headed to federal court in Virginia, where he'll answer to the sickening charges brought against him and three others regarding an interstate dogfighting ring run out Vick's Virginia home.

Today, he's locked out of the Atlanta Falcons facility, where training camp commences without him for the first time since 2001, when he arrived as an almighty No. 1 overall draft pick.

Don't pass judgment on him until the legal process runs its course, you say?

Well, I'm done judging whether he'll ever fulfill his once exciting potential as a NFL quarterback, as the next left-handed, mad-scrambling Steve Young.

I certainly wouldn't trust Vick to quarterback -- to lead -- my team. I felt that way long before he became an accused dog killer. His on-field performance has long been overrated.

Now comes this alleged involvement in a dogfighting ring. It's incredibly damning. It paints a cruel, dark image that forever will haunt him, even if he's not found guilty.

His career will, like most of his passes, fall wildly incomplete of its target.

Vick isn't a superstar, title-contending quarterback as much as he's a thrill ride, as a funny commercial once portrayed the "Michael Vick Experience."
    Forget about all those epic escapes from linebackers and last year's 1,039-yard rushing effort.

It's hard to forget, however, when those highlights run over and over again as broadcasters fill you in on the dogfighting scandal that's sacking Vick's career.

Yes, his ability to run is/was extraordinary. His ability to pass is/was not (53.8 career completion percentage), and the only highlights you likely saw of him passing were those depicting his frustration after a dropped pass.

As for his ability to lead -- the biggest trait a quarterback must have to win -- it's now (and likely forever) unattainable.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank knows that. He implied as much Tuesday when reporters peppered him with the same question: Will Vick ever again wear that once hot-selling No. 7 Falcons jersey?

"Obviously there are things in the indictment that, as I said, are very repulsive to all of us," Blank said. "A quarterback is not only a technical leader, but the leader of the football team. And we need to look at those circumstances in that light."

I can't imagine what teammates will think in a huddle, when they look to Vick for guidance, with a game on the line.

I can't imagine how he'll react when his own team's fans turn on him, as they did in Atlanta last season, to which he responded with middle-finger salutes.

I can't imagine the lack of compassion that defenders will show toward Vick.

Actually, I can imagine all that. It's the dog killing that I still can't, and refuse, to imagine.

Subsection 83 of the feds' 18-page indictment: "In or about April 2007, PEACE, PHILLIPS and VICK executed approximately eight dogs that did not perform well in 'testing' sessions at 1915 Moonlight Road by various methods, including hanging, drowning and slamming at least one dog's body to the ground."

Vick is suddenly learning what it's like to be in a dogfight. He's on his own now, fighting for survival.

Of course, he won't be sentenced to death, as were the dogs on his property.

But he's done playing for Atlanta.

He'll forever wear a scarlet letter for tainting that franchise's image, one he built up by virtue of highlight-reel runs, a playoff win in Green Bay on Jan. 1, 2003, and a surprising run to the 2004 season's NFC Championship Game.

Eventually, the NFL will allow him back on the field. Not this season, most likely.

So where does he surface next summer? Please don't immediately pin the Raiders as a destination simply because of their past acceptance of NFL castoffs.

The Raiders already are gambling on a quarterback, rookie JaMarcus Russell. Plus, their modern-day roster isn't littered with last-chance guys. Oh, and did we mention Raiders chief executive Amy Trask has served on the Animal Rescue Foundation's board?

Wherever Vick eventually turns up, picketers will be waiting for him. As they will at a federal courthouse today.

I, for one, am done waiting for him to transform from an overly hyped quarterback to a championship-winning leader.

Contact Cam Inman at cinman@cctimes.com.
    http://www.mercurynews.com/lifestyle/ci_6468163
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Re: Vick - Dog Killer?!!

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2491958;
    If he is guilty, he is a very sick man and should go to jail. Forever. JMHO
    The most he can go to jail for, on the current charges, is, as outlined above, six years. However, the Feds announced yesterday they will file a superceding indictment in September (I think). That means there could be even more charges added in, which would impact the potential maximum punishment (both in terms of fines and time). Speculation I heard (from Roger Cosack, on ESPN) is that one of the other three indicted will be dropped out, as they've decided to turn evidence, and that the charges against Michael Vick will increase.

There's also some further speculation that the NFL might not be totally thrilled with the outcome of its own investigation. Evidently, this practice (of dog fighting) is more widespread in the league than just this one instance. For those results, we'll just all have to wait and see.

Right now, I'd still least like to be David Stern, but that could change to Roger Godell on a dime.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Re: Federal grand jury indicts Vick in dogfighting case

It looks like everybody is bailing out on him.
    Nike suspends Vick contract without pay - Yahoo! News
    Nike suspends Vick contract without pay

By PAUL NEWBERRY, AP Sports Writer 1 hour, 35 minutes ago

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. - Nike suspended its lucrative contract with Michael Vick on Friday, while Reebok took the unprecedented step of stopping sales of his No. 7 jersey.
    ADVERTISEMENT

In another dose of bad news for the indicted quarterback, a top trading card company announced it was pulling Vick's likeness from any new packs.

Facing protests from animal-rights groups, Nike announced it was suspending Vick's endorsement deal without pay, as well as halting sales of Vick-related shoes and other products at its retail stores.

"Nike is concerned by the serious and highly disturbing allegations made against Michael Vick, and we consider any cruelty to animals inhumane and abhorrent," Nike spokesman Dean Stoyer said in a statement.

Reebok, the official uniform supplier of the NFL, said it would stop selling Vick's replica jersey at retail stores and through its Web site.

Donruss, one of four major trading card companies, has decided to pull Vick's card from any future 2007 releases, according to Beckett Media, which covers the collectibles industry.

All three hits came one day after the Atlanta Falcons quarterback pleaded not guilty to federal dogfighting charges in Richmond, Va. In the indictment, he was accused of sponsoring a gruesome operation that often shot, hanged, drowned or electrocuted losing dogs.

Since Vick has not been convicted of any crime, Nike left open the door to resume its business relationship with the star player if he's acquitted. The company already had decided to suspend release of his fifth signature shoe, the Air Zoom Vick V.

"We do believe that Michael Vick should be afforded the same due process as any citizen in the United States," the Nike statement said. "Therefore, we have not terminated our relationship."

Vick signed with Nike in 2001, the same year Atlanta chose him as the NFL's No. 1 overall draft pick. He led the Falcons to the NFC championship game during the 2004 season and last year became the first quarterback in league history to rush for 1,000 yards.

Vick is barred from the Falcons' training camp while the league investigates his actions for possible violations of its new personal conduct policy. He is set for trial Nov. 26 and faces up to five years in prison.

The case began April 25 when investigators conducting a drug search at a massive home Vick built in rural Virginia found 66 dogs, including 55 pit bulls, and equipment typically used in dogfighting. They included a "rape stand" that holds aggressive dogs in place for mating and a "breakstick" used to pry open a dog's mouth.

PETA People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals called off its planned protest at a dozen Niketown stores across the country next week.

"Regardless of Vick's guilt or innocence in a court of law, the facts in this case clearly support this decision," PETA said. "No company wants a spokesperson with a massive illegal dogfighting ring operating on his property, regardless of his level of involvement."

The Humane Society of the United States said the companies couldn't ignore the overwhelming opposition to having any association with Vick. He said some 165,000 e-mails were sent to Nike through the group's Web site.

"I think there's a direct relationship," said Wayne Pacelle, president of the HSUS. "We asked them to do this and the pressure continued to build, especially as the facts of the indictment came out. It simply became an untenable position."

There was no immediate response from the Vick camp. An after-hours phone message was left with his agent, Joel Segal, while unsuccessful attempts were made to reach his new attorney, Billy Martin, by phone and e-mail.

Although Reebok does not have a business relationship with Vick, the Massachusetts-based company serves as the official supplier of apparel and equipment to all 32 NFL teams. Through that deal, it holds the coveted rights to sell jerseys at the retail level.

"We just find the allegations very upsetting and very disturbing," Reebok spokeswoman Denise Kaigler said. "While this is just the beginning of the legal process and we know that it has to have time to run its course, we felt that making this decision now was important and the right things to do."

Reebok said it also was willing to take back any unsold Vick jerseys that are returned by retail outlets.

Kaigler said she already had received numerous e-mails in support of the decision. Even though numerous NFL players have run afoul of the law, this is the first time Reebok has stopped sales of an individual jersey.

"The number of e-mails and statements we're getting from consumers was pretty telling about how disturbing people find these allegations to be," Kaigler said.

Beckett Media reported on its Web site that Donruss dropped Vick's card at the behest of owner Ann Powell, whose five dogs accompany her to work every day and have virtually free reign inside the company's headquarters.

"If anybody who knows about the current Vick situation knows Donruss, they know that this is a decision we had to make because of Ann and her love of dogs," company spokesman Scott Prusha told the Web site. "This decision came straight from Ann."

Donruss had an autograph agreement with Vick, and much of the company's plans for the remainder of the year included the insertion of both autograph and memorabilia cards bearing the quarterback's picture.

Prusha said that "wasn't even a consideration. We met as a company and the idea was brought up to pull him. There was no opposition from anybody in the room."

His friends are starting to turn on him.
    Co-defendant: Vick financed dogfighting - Yahoo! News
    Co-defendant: Vick financed dogfighting

By LARRY O'DELL, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 32 minutes ago

RICHMOND, Va. - One of Michael Vick's co-defendants pleaded guilty Monday to his role in a dogfighting conspiracy he says was financed almost entirely by the Atlanta Falcons quarterback.
    ADVERTISEMENT

As part of a plea agreement, Tony Taylor pledged to fully cooperate with the government in its prosecution of Vick and two other men accused of running an interstate dogfighting enterprise known as "Bad Newz Kennels" on Vick's property in rural Surry County.

"The 'Bad Newz Kennels' operation and gambling monies were almost exclusively funded by Vick," a summary of facts supporting the plea agreement and signed by Taylor states.

The plea deal requires Taylor to testify against Vick and his two remaining co-defendants if called upon to do so. Taylor cannot get a stiffer sentence or face any new charges based on any new information he provides, according to terms of the agreement.

Additional charges are possible, however, against Vick and the other two. Federal prosecutors have said a superseding indictment will be issued in August.

Vick's lead attorney, Billy Martin, did not immediately return a phone message.

Taylor, 34, of Hampton, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities, and conspiring to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture.

Vick pleaded not guilty to the same charges last week and said in a written statement that he looked forward to "clearing my good name." He also pleaded with the public to resist a rush to judgment.

The gruesome details outlined in the July 17 indictment have fueled public protests against Vick and prompted the suspension of some of his lucrative endorsement deals. Also, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has barred Vick from the Falcons' training camp.

The summary of facts signed by Taylor supports the indictment's claims that the dogfighting ring executed underperforming dogs by drowning, hanging and other brutal means. Taylor admitted shooting one dog and electrocuting another when they did not perform well in test fights in the summer of 2002.

Vick, 27, attended several dogfights in Virginia and other states with his partners, according to the statement. Prosecutors claim the fights offered purses as high as $26,000.

Taylor, who will be sentenced Dec. 14, said he was not promised any specific sentence in return for his cooperation with the government.

He faces a maximum of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine, although federal sentencing guidelines likely will call for less. The range will be determined by the court's probation office, but the judge can depart from that range if he finds aggravating or mitigating circumstances.

Taylor and his attorney, Stephen A. Hudgins of Newport News, declined to answer reporters' questions as they left the federal courthouse. Prosecutors also would not comment.

During the hearing, Taylor spoke only in response to routine yes-or-no questions from U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson. He answered "Yes" when the judge asked if he had agreed to cooperate with the government.

Taylor acknowledged in the summary of facts that he found the property that Vick purchased in 2001 for $30,000 for development into a dogfighting compound. Taylor says he maintained and trained the dogs for about three years, using his share of winnings which were split among the partners for living expenses.

He left the operation after a falling out with co-defendant Quanis L. Phillips and others in September 2004, according to the statement of facts.

Vick and Purnell A. Peace, 35, of Virginia Beach, and Phillips, 28, of Atlanta, are scheduled for trial Nov. 26. They remain free without bond.

FORT Newbie

Jay Leno's joke last night about Michael Vick was very funny

"Today reebok has suspended all sales of michael vick jerseys but is that really necessary? I mean as unpopular as Michael Vick is right now if you were to see a Michael Vick Jersey while being out it may just actually be MICHAEL VICK!!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

They just began the jury selection phase of Michael Vick's trial:

Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast