+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Federal grand jury indicts Vick in dogfighting case

Re: N F L 2007

The evidence that they pulled out of the property in Virginia is pretty darned damning in its own right, even if it's not complete. But there is still wiggle room for Vick to claim that, while he owned the property, he was not involved in the activities.

Well how long do you guys think he will go to jail for, if he's found guilty?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonator;2481836;
    Well how long do you guys think he will go to jail for, if he's found guilty?
    It depends, as I understand the Commonwealth of Virginia (who has stopped their investigation once the Feds stepped in) is still considering if they want to pick up where they left off.

For this particular series of charges, according to CourtTV, if convicted, he can face up to six years in prison, and a ton of restitution and fines. I'm not sure I totally understand that, though, as the CourtTV article says that all of the named parties (there are four) stand the same punishment, but not every person is named in each charge.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;2481439;
    Are you saying that everyone who has been indicted by a Federal grand jury has been found guilty?
    MissThing,
    It was obvious to me from the beginning there was someting very fishy in the whole Duke scandal. Here, the evidence is overwhelming. Have you read the papers? The man is guilty as sin and I hope it destroys his career.

Quote Originally Posted by horsnhound;2483604;
    MissThing,
    It was obvious to me from the beginning there was someting very fishy in the whole Duke scandal. Here, the evidence is overwhelming. Have you read the papers? The man is guilty as sin and I hope it destroys his career.
    I'm having a tendency to believe he's guilty, also. BUT, I worry about the public sense of due process. In my mind, shows like Nancy Grace's have done a lot of damage to our concept of what constitutes guilt. An indictment isn't it. Not every person charged with every crime, Federal or not, is guilty - but the general public that views shows like Nancy Grace's (I don't ever watch Fox, no idea what Greta is up to these days) seems to me (from reading CourtTV message boards, at least) to equate being charged with having already had the complete justice system run its course. That's simply not the case.

I did read the indictment, yes. I don't know what specific evidence was presented to the Grand Jury to have the indictment handed down. I do know that a Grand Jury isn't a trial, the evidence presented for indictment does not have to rise to the the same level as what is required at a trial.

Do I think he did it? I have no idea. As a person, it saddens and angers me that any human beings do this. Clearly, though, they do.

All I'm saying is that for me, at least, I need to have more actual facts at my disposal before I decide that any specific person is guilty of anything more than having charges brought.

As for Michael Vick specifically, his career is already over. There is no way any team can suffer the constant barrage of press and picketing that the Falcons would have to (starting next week) if they allow him to take another snap, ever. That has nothing to do with his guilt, it has everything to do with the onslaught that the press and various activist groups will provide. So, even though the NFL has stated they will allow the justice system to run it's course, he's toast. The Falcons will do the least they can to honor his contract, I'm sure, but he'll never see the playing field again.
    Last edited by MissThing; 07-20-2007 at 09:53 AM.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

If found guilty, I think the guilty should receive the same as they gave the innocent animals.

I completely understand where you're coming from, MissThing. Completely. Nancy Grace has done a major disservice to the due process of justice, and I'm still horrified by the thought of what she did to that girl in Florida.

This section of the article cited and copied above talks about some of the evidence discovered:
    On July 7, federal authorities conducted a second search of the Surry, Va., property owned by Vick that is the center of the dogfighting investigation.

According to court documents filed by federal authorities earlier after that search, dogfights have been sponsored by "Bad Newz Kennels" at the property since at least 2002.

Fifty-four pit bulls were recovered from the property during searches in April, along with a "rape stand," used to hold dogs in place for mating; an electric treadmill modified for dogs; and a bloodied piece of carpeting, the documents said.

During a June search of the property, investigators uncovered the graves of seven pit bulls they allege were killed by members of Bad Newz Kennels after testing sessions.
    But, like I said earlier, I'm sure Vick's lawyers could always find some way of implying that he had no knowledge of what was taking place on his property, etc... so hopefully they DO have more evidence. Until then... I still think the guy's a creep even without this latest debacle.

I think Vick is somehow going to get out of this though.

No as I heard that Vick's federal judge
    Is a tough one that won't give him no special treatment.
    Happy NFL Training Camp!

Quote Originally Posted by Passepartout;2484273;
    No as I heard that Vick's federal judge
    Is a tough one that won't give him no special treatment.
    I heard the same thing, that this Judge is the real deal. I hope so. I don't want anybody getting special treatment. I don't want them getting 'unspecial' treatment, either.

I just want the trial to be fair (yes, I'm do wear rose colored glasses, sometimes).

If Michael Vick is guilty, there will be an eternity to damn him after that judgement is passed.

My only wish is that we wait until we know he is guilty before subjecting him to that punishment.
    I cater to the Regs!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast