EUROPE 15-12 USA

The Ryder Cup is back in Europe's hands after they produced a magnificent show of strength in the decisive singles matches at The Belfry.

Europe went into the head-to-head clashes needing six and a half points for overall victory after standing level at 8-8 with the USA overnight.

Paul McGinley's half point against Jim Furyk meant Europe had enough on the board to ensure overall success, with two matches still out on the course.

Tearful skipper Sam Torrance hailed his heroes after a dramatic victory.

"They have all done a great job. I am so proud of every one of them," he said.

Torrance gambled by putting his best players out first and Colin Montgomerie made the best possible start with a fantastic 5&4 win over Scott Hoch.

The bold tactics were rewarded as four and a half of the first six points available went Europe's way.

Welshman Phillip Price beat world number two Phil Mickelson 3&2 with an incredible 25-foot pressure putt on the 16th to bring Europe within a half point of victory.

Irishman McGinley had the honour and earned his place in Cup folklore after trailing Furyk from the second hole onwards.

He pulled level at 17 before halving the last in ragged, but brave fashion, with a par putt from 10 feet.

As players and spectators celebrated, Torrance saluted McGinley and the rest of his team.

"It had nothing to do with me. I led the boys to water, and they drank copiously," he said.

An emotional United States captain Curtis Strange conceded the best team had won.

"We always like to win but it's a great atmosphere to be a part of," said Strange.