+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL - Football 2007

JR.

Re: NFL - Football 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;2570870;
    There is no room for this type of cheating in the NFL.
    Every team spies, the Patriots just got caught doing it this way. They all send scouts to watch the games of their next opponent, it's nothing new.

Has it gotten to the point where fans are not allowed to take videos either? Here (CFL) the practices are open to fans, but there is the condition that no live videos are taken. This was put in place because of some videos being put online and then of course anyone can view it.

OKAY -- from what I have read, the Patriots have to pay a $250,000 fine, coach Belichick has to pay a $500,000 fine, and the team is to forfeit draft picks. They must forfeit a first round pick if they make it to the play-offs this season, or a second AND third round pick if they do not make it. WOW I am happy with the punishment, although I do agree that it happens more than we know. The Patriots just got caught. Perhaps the penalty will disuade other teams from this same practice.

Leo
    Premium Member

NFL fined Patriots coach Bill Belichick $500,000 and team $250,000 for spying on opponent - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

NFL fined Patriots coach Bill Belichick $500,000 and team $250,000 for spying on opponent

By DAVE GOLDBERG, AP Football Writer
    September 13, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- Bill Belichick should be able to read this signal clearly:

Spy on your opponents, and it will cost you.

The New England coach was fined the NFL maximum of $500,000 Thursday and the Patriots were ordered to pay $250,000 for stealing an opponent's defensive signals.

Commissioner Roger Goodell also ordered the team to give up next year's first-round draft choice if it reaches the playoffs and second- and third-round picks if it doesn't.

The videotaping came to light after a camera was confiscated from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella while he was on the New York Jets' sideline during New England's 38-14 win last Sunday at Giants Stadium.

The NFL said the camera was seized before the end of the first quarter and had no impact on the game.

"This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field," Goodell said in a letter to the Patriots.

He said he considered suspending Belichick but didn't "largely because I believe that the discipline I am imposing of a maximum fine and forfeiture of a first-round draft choice, or multiple draft choices, is in fact more significant and long-lasting, and therefore more effective, than a suspension."

Instead, Goodell imposed the biggest fine ever on a coach and took away a first-round draft pick as a penalty for the first time in NFL history.

Reached at his home, Patriots owner Robert Kraft declined to comment.

Belichick, however, accepted full responsibility "for the actions that led to tonight's ruling. Once again, I apologize to the Kraft family and every person directly or indirectly associated with the New England Patriots for the embarrassment, distraction and penalty my mistake caused."

"I also apologize to Patriots fans and would like to thank them for their support during the past few days and throughout my career," Belichick said in a statement issued by the team. "As the Commissioner acknowledged, our use of sideline video had no impact on the outcome of last week's game. We have never used sideline video to obtain a competitive advantage while the game was in progress."

Goodell's hard line on discipline has been aimed so far at players -- most notably Michael Vick and Adam "Pacman" Jones.

By penalizing a coach and a team he showed that no one, not even management, was immune.

"We support the commissioner and his findings," the New York Jets said.

New England, strengthened by the addition of Randy Moss, two other first-rate wide receivers and linebacker Adalius Thomas, is considered one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl for the fourth time since the 2001 season. If the Patriots lose their first-rounder next season they still will have a first-round pick, obtained from San Francisco in the deal that brought Moss from Oakland.

NFL rules state "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." They also say all video for coaching purposes must be shot from locations "enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

That was re-emphasized in a memo sent Sept. 6 to NFL head coaches and general managers. In it, Ray Anderson, the league's executive vice president of football operations wrote: "Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

The NFL statement said Goodell believed Kraft was unaware of Belichick's actions.

But it said the commissioner believed penalties should be imposed on the club because "Coach Belichick not only serves as the head coach but also has substantial control over all aspects of New England's football operations. His actions and decisions are properly attributed to the club."

On Wednesday, Belichick issued a one-paragraph statement 10 minutes before his regular availability, saying he had spoken with Goodell "about a videotaping procedure during last Sunday's game and my interpretation of the rules."

"Although it remains a league matter, I want to apologize to everyone who has been affected, most of all ownership, staff and players," he said.

The Patriots have been caught once before. Last November, during their 35-0 victory in Green Bay, the Packers caught Estrella shooting unauthorized video and told him to stop.

NFL coaches long have suspected opponents of spying. In the early 1970s, the late George Allen, coach of the Washington Redskins, routinely would send a security man into the woods surrounding the team's practice facility because he suspected there were spies from other teams there.

And coaches like Seattle's Mike Holmgren and Philadelphia's Andy Reid, among others, always cover their mouths when calling plays from the sideline because they fear other teams have lip readers trying to determine their calls.

The most recent hefty fine against a coach was in 2005, when Tagliabue fined former Minnesota coach Mike Tice $100,000 for scalping Super Bowl tickets.

Last November, Goodell fined Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher, co-chairman of the competition committee, $12,500 for criticizing officials. He also fined Pittsburgh owner Dan Rooney, one of his mentors and the man who informed him he had been elected commissioner, for the same violation.

Quote Originally Posted by JR.;2571432;
    Every team spies, the Patriots just got caught doing it this way. They all send scouts to watch the games of their next opponent, it's nothing new.

Just because it is done all the time doesn't mean its right. Personally if the NFL wanted to teach a lesson Bellichek would have paid his huge fine and been suspended like they do the players when they cheat.

It sends the wrong message. If your team is a post season contender then you just get a nice little wrist slap. I wonder how this would have gone down if this had been some hard luck team like the Raiders? I think that team would be without a head coach for a few weeks.

Just my opinion, but since this is not the first time the Patriots have been caught doing this very same thing -- it seems to me that they should lose both first round picks if they make it to the off-season. Also, I agree with MsDiva that Bill Belichick should pay the fine AND serve a suspension. Especially since this is NOT his first offense. If the commisioner wants to make a statement, then lets make a BOLD one!!

FORT Fanatic

It's sad that once again there's a scandal that draws attention away from the game itself. First Pacman Jones, than Vick, now this. Goodell is having a hell of a first year. I wonder if he'll make it to year 2.

Broncos play the Raiders this week. The Raiders defense scares me more than their offense does. Go Broncos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Though I agree that this happens far more than we know, I too think the penalty could have been more severe as the league needs to send a serious message.

BTW, saw this elsewhere, made me laugh so I had to borrow it...

Quote Originally Posted by pakacat;2573297;
    Though I agree that this happens far more than we know, I too think the penalty could have been more severe as the league needs to send a serious message.

BTW, saw this elsewhere, made me laugh so I had to borrow it...

OMG, that is SOOOO funny!

More details have emerged from the Patriots scandal. It seems that Jets coach Eric Mangini (former member of the Patriots' coaching staff) used his knowledge of Belichick's tactics to "bust" him. It seems as though Mangini had told many people (including Goodell?) of Belichick's spy games. Reporters are saying that Belichick was warned last season when his spy cameraman, Matt Estrella, was caught on the sidelines in Green Bay. So it is mind-boggling to me why he would do this again on opening weekend when you know the NFL is so closely watching. Egotistical much??

I am not following part of Belichik's "apology" -- the quote I am having trouble with is " My interpretation of a rule in the Constitution and Bylaws was incorrect." Which part did he not understand? Not videotaping your opponents seems fairly straightforward......

+ Reply to Thread