+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey 2007-2008

Hockey 2007-2008

I decided to start a new thread as the draft and free agency are upon us.

Florida has signed Bryan Allen (the throw-in that turned out to be the one decent part of the Luongo/Bertuzzi trade) to a five year, $14m deal.

They also traded Gratton back to Tamps, his third stint there.
    I hear he and Darcy Tucker made life a misery for Vinny when he was last there.
    I imagine Vinny will be a more formidable opponent now he isn't a scrawny teen anymore if Gratton decides to reprise his antics (yep, I can't stand Gratton )

Also, Calgary has made Mike Keenan head coach
    Last edited by fluff; 06-15-2007 at 04:54 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Re: Hockey 2007-2008

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2441966;
    Also, Calgary has made Mike Keenan head coach

I was suprised by this choice... Hopefully they can make some decisions and get Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff signed for extensions.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Last I heard Keenan was going to be coaching for one of the Swedish national teams (under 18 maybe) then suddenly Calgary announced him as the new coach.
    Playfair is staying with the organization.
    I found the appointment slightly odd I must admit.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2442011;
    Last I heard Keenan was going to be coaching for one of the Swedish national teams (under 18 maybe) then suddenly Calgary announced him as the new coach.
    Playfair is staying with the organization.
    I found the appointment slightly odd I must admit.
    I read that Keenan and Playfair had coached together or worked together before... something of that nature. I guess we will see how it unfolds next season.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

I couldn't believe that he was named head coach. He'll always have those who didn't make it on Making the Cut as new talent.

JR.

It's too bad someone can't fire the owner:

Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced Friday that the club has relieved head coach Dave Lewis and associate coach Marc Habscheid of their coaching duties, and will reassign them to other positions within the club.
    The Boston Globe Bruins Blog - Boston.com

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2442131;
    I couldn't believe that he was named head coach. He'll always have those who didn't make it on Making the Cut as new talent.
    He had a whole bunch of them down in Florida playing for the Everblades.

I was really shocked by that appointment, still am a little

Not quite as shocked by Dave Lewis losing his head coaching job though.
    Pat Quinn was offered that job before the start of last season apparently but turned it down.
    I wonder if they'll ask again in view of the fact he hasn't made a secret of wanting to get back to coaching.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I didn't know he was already using that talent pool. Whatever will he do now?

It's too bad Playfair didn't command the players' respect. He seemed like a really good guy and had the potential to be a really good coach. He just never got that opportunity. I wonder what kind of working relationship he'll have with Mike.

According to the Toronto Sun, the Ottawa Senators have fired general manager John Muckler.

Muckler wouldn't discuss the issue with the paper, directing all inquiries to Senators owner Eugene Melnyk.

"I haven't been told anything," Muckler told the Sun when asked about potential changes.

But two senior NHL executives told Sun Media they believe Melnyk gave Muckler his walking papers on Friday.

The Sun notes that Melnyk's spokesman, Ken Villazor, would not deny the report, saying "the owner has released a statement that he was reviewing all management with the club."

Melnyk's statement, to TSN's Bob McKenzie on Friday, was as follows:

"We are continuing to have ongoing discussions with management on the future direction and therefore the roles of everyone at the senior level. We had a great year and I am very proud of what my team has achieved. Saying that, I am always evaluating what we can do, both short term and long term, to continue the momentum and lead us to a Stanley Cup victory next year and for years to come."

The Senators had 105 points in the regular season, finishing fourth in the Eastern Conference, and reached the Stanley Cup final, where they were defeated by the Anaheim Ducks in five games.

TSN
    "That's Numberwang!"

JR.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2442778;
    Pat Quinn was offered that job before the start of last season apparently but turned it down.
    I wonder if they'll ask again in view of the fact he hasn't made a secret of wanting to get back to coaching.
    He's one of the people rumored, along with Milbury, Claude Julien, and Randy Cunneyworth. Most of sportstalk radio is favoring Julien. I just wonder why he was dumped by NJ right at the end of the regular season.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast