+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey 2007-2008

Re: Hockey 2007-2008

The faster skater comp was bad. There really doesn't seem to be a way to do it that doesn't favour smaller guys, but this seemed even worse than the lap because they barely got a chance to get going before it was over.
    The screw up with the timing was embarassing too.

I think the break-away competition at least had potential to be entertaining, but they should have made the goalies stay in the blue paint, imo.
    Thank God for Alex Ovechkin. He did at least attempt some crowd-pleasing moves, even if he couldn't quite pull them off.
    "That's Numberwang!"

The Worlds Longest Hockey Game begins this weekend!!
    Support pediatric cancer research! World's Longest Game

This game is played entirely outdoors by non-professional players. It goes day and night. The ice rink is built every year on Dr. Saik's acreage. All time is donated.

40 Players, 10 Days, 1 Goal
    Some have played before, some more than once, but all of them have been touched by cancer and with our record in tact, our first goal is our only goal - to win the war on Cancer

My best wishes to both Team Cure and Team Hope to meet or beat last year's goal! Sending blessings to all players, staff, volunteer medical team, and fans in the stands during this extremely frigid weather of -30C to -40C!!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Anyone see the injury to Florida's Richard Zednik the other night in the Florida/Buffalo game?
    I was watching it live on Center Ice and was really shaken up.
    Campbell up-ended Jokinen whose leg flew up into the air and sliced Zednick in the neck.
    Zednik fell to the ice with blood pouring out of his neck, but incredibly, got to his feet and skated to the bench with what turned out to be a nearly severed carotid artery.
    He had surgery and is now said to be fine, but it really was a horrible thing to witness even watching at home, it must have been so much worse to be in the arena.

The Buffalo crowd was really silent while the game was stopped and gave the news that Zednik was stable and on the way to hospital a standing ovation, which was touching to see.
    There was only ten minutes left in he third so they finished the game, but the NHL is coming under some criticism for that decision.
    I think whatever they'd decided some would not be happy.
    "That's Numberwang!"

God, that was awful. It actually brought tears to my eyes. I'm astonished they continued the game - it sounds like the officials were the only ones interested in playing it out.

There's a big interview with Clint Malarchuk in the paper today about his cut to the jugular years ago. I remember watching that one too. *shudder*

Malarchuk remembers the blood
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

The Malarchuk incident happened before I started watching hockey, but I have seen it subsequently and it's horrific.
    The worse thing was that it took a few seconds for anyone to get to him too.
    I'm sure Zednik's quick thinking helped save himself.
    Jassen Cullimore helped too.
    He was beyond his own blue line, not even watching Zednik when the game was stopped and you can see him skate straight over to help him off the ice once he saw he was in trouble. He reacted so quickly. I think the trainer/doctor would have had a job getting Zednik off the ice on his own because he'd started to slump a bit as he was being led off.
    Cullimore helping saved precious seconds.
    Definitely the kind of guy you want around in a crisis.

Apparently the Zednik injury is worse (not that it's a competition) because he almost severed the internal carotid artery, which supplies the brain. Malarchuk injured the external jugular.
    I believe Malrachuk was back on the ice four days later, which is inconceivable to me having seen all that blood.
    Zednik has a longer road ahead of him but the surgery went very well, the fact that the vein wasn't completely severed was a good thing. The ends of a severed vein would have retracted making them more difficult to find.

I haven't read your link yet AJane so this might have beencovered there but I saw an interview with him a while back and with his mother where they talked about some of the emotional problems he had after coming back from the injury.
    These guys are in peak health that the physical side is probably easier to get back on track.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Yeah, Malarchuk was back almost right away. I don't know that I could have put on skates again, much less played, after something like that. He does speak quite extensively about how traumatized he was and continues to be, though.
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I just read that article.
    Two spectators had heart attacks and three of Malarchuk's team mates vomited at the sight of the blood!!
    I remember when Dave Buust broke his leg during a football game in the UK back in the 90's.
    The opposing goalie. Peter Schmeichel, who was close by when it happened had to have counseling for a while after seeing the injury.
    No blood, but lets just say limbs are not supposed to bend like that.

I see Malarchuk advocates the use of throat protectors for all the team, not just the goalie.
    I can't see the players ever agreeing to make that mandatory and even if they did most of them probably wouldn't wear them in a way that allowed them to be effective.
    Most of those clowns don't even do their helmets up properly. It's like a cool kids protest at having to wear the helmet in the first place.
    Do the damn things up properly!!
    Last edited by fluff; 02-12-2008 at 02:15 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I think the key is to have kids get used to wearing them. They're mandatory for minor hockey, apparently. If they grow up wearing them they'll be less likely to resist it later on. Obviously that hasn't worked for helmets, though.

There's just a lack of respect for safety, overall. It peeves me because my husband has been a hockey player all his life, and suffered two broken legs (as a teen), a terrible knee injury (landing him in a leg brace for weeks) playing rec, and a back injury from reffing a rec game. He's 33 now and I don't think he'll ever be fit to play on a team again.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2791457;
    I think the key is to have kids get used to wearing them. They're mandatory for minor hockey, apparently. If they grow up wearing them they'll be less likely to resist it later on. Obviously that hasn't worked for helmets, though.

There's just a lack of respect for safety, overall. It peeves me because my husband has been a hockey player all his life, and suffered two broken legs (as a teen), a terrible knee injury (landing him in a leg brace for weeks) playing rec, and a back injury from reffing a rec game. He's 33 now and I don't think he'll ever be fit to play on a team again.
    Our son wore a neck guard when he played youth hockey. It some how got "lost" during his move to the billets home for juniors. And then as soon as he turned 18, the full face mask turned into a half shield. We finally made him realize that if he wanted to live to play college he had to return to the full face mask. THANK GOODNESS college requires the full mask
    I have told him all along that if he EVER makes it to the pro level I am going to start "HMAHS" (Hockey Moms Against Half Shields)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2786717;
    The Worlds Longest Hockey Game begins this weekend!!
    Support pediatric cancer research! World's Longest Game

This game is played entirely outdoors by non-professional players. It goes day and night. The ice rink is built every year on Dr. Saik's acreage. All time is donated.

40 Players, 10 Days, 1 Goal
    Some have played before, some more than once, but all of them have been touched by cancer and with our record in tact, our first goal is our only goal - to win the war on Cancer

My best wishes to both Team Cure and Team Hope to meet or beat last year's goal! Sending blessings to all players, staff, volunteer medical team, and fans in the stands during this extremely frigid weather of -30C to -40C!!
    While his SoCal buddies were sun bathing, Dustin Penner was bundled up for a great cause:
    Edmonton Oilers - Multimedia: Oilers pay visit to World's Longest Game - 02/13/2008

+ Reply to Thread