+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey 2007-2008

Re: Hockey 2007-2008

Your Blue Jackets are getting Mike Peca, Unk.

The Columbus Blue Jackets and free agent forward Michael Peca have come to terms on a one-year contract.

Don Meehan, Peca's agent, confirmed to TSN that the deal will become official pending a physical with the club within the next few days.

The 33-year-old had been in talks with the New York Rangers but slow talks hindered the deal. According to the New York Daily News, Peca and Meehan had set a deadline for the Rangers to get a deal done by Tuesday.
    Peca to Jackets

He wasn't really tearing up the ice for the Leafs last season before his nasty injury to the knee.
    Hopefully he's healed and the Jackets will get a decent season out of him.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I wish Mark Messier would come back but I know that won't happen, he's way too old.

Six Pittsburgh Penguins were dispatched earlier this week to hand deliver season tickets to fans.
    You hear a knock on the door and find Sidney Crosby there with your season tickets.
    Awesome.

Video: Penguins deliver season tickets personally
    It's not likely too many deliverymen get this sort of greeting.

"I can't believe it's Sidney Crosby delivering my tickets!" Alice Kilgore blurted when she opened the front door of her Castle Shannon home.

It was.

Crosby, the NHL's reigning scoring champion and MVP, was one of six Penguins players who hand-delivered season tickets to 24 homes around the Pittsburgh area today. The others were forwards Evgeni Malkin, Colby Armstrong and Maxime Talbot, defenseman Ryan Whitney and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury.

The team chose the full- and half-season ticket holders randomly. To ensure the fans would be home, they were told a player would deliver their goodie box -- with the tickets, a highlight video, pocket schedules and other items -- but not which player. Kilgore was worried she wouldn't recognize the one sent to her house.

"Some of the players I don't know without their number," she said. "I recognized him without his number."

Just in case, Crosby was wearing his Penguins sweater over jeans.

Once Kilgore got over her shock, she ducked back inside and produced a commemorative puck she once received from the Penguins for being a season ticket holder since 1972 -- 15 years before Crosby was born.

Crosby thanked her for her support and signed the box.

"I think it's a great idea," Crosby said of the players delivering tickets. "It's a good opportunity for the guys to say thanks personally."

Kilgore has two seats to games and belongs to the Penguins Booster Club.

After watching the club for so long, she offered Crosby a no-nonsense prediction for 2007-08.

"I don't think you'll win the [Stanley] Cup this year," she said. "Not yet. Maybe next year."

Crosby, slighty surprised, said, "Well, we'll try this year."
    "That's Numberwang!"

That is too cool.

I'd love that. I think all other major hockey markets should use this as an example of really great team marketing!

I didn't read anyting about it at the time, but apparently the Oilers hand-delivered some season tickets to holders after the lock-out season.
    I think it's a great idea nd would love to see other teams do it.

Dany Heatley and Jason Spezza delivered season tickets to some of the Sens corporate holders this week too.
    I think what the Pens did was awesome as they delivered to regular folk, but the staff at the companies Spezza and Heatley visited were clearly happy to see them so it was still a nice gesture.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Such a great marketing tool!

Maybe if I buy season tickets to the Flames they'd fly out just to give them to me... .... Oh I can dream.

But I wonder how long it will take for more teams to start this up.

Jackets move Zherdev to center

I thought you hockey fans might be interested in this news from the Columbus training camp.
    The Columbus Dispatch : Michael Arace commentary: Shifting Zherdev to center could work
    Michael Arace commentary: Shifting Zherdev to center could work
    Friday, September 14, 2007 3:37 AM
    By Michael Arace
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

The Blue Jackets trumpeted the opening of training camp by trotting out players at a media luncheon yesterday in Nationwide Arena. Most of the TV reporters and their minicams left the building before they could get to the buffet, a development that led to rumors that a huge story was breaking, like maybe there was a weather pattern forming over Indiana. We don't tend to miss lunch. Was there rain on the way?

No, the minicams had to shuffle across town to catch Jim Tressel, who promised a few words before he boarded his Buckeyes for Seattle. So it was a relatively sparse gathering in the Founder's Club for the Jackets' camp-opening news conference. General manager Scott Howson and coach Ken Hitchcock stepped up on the dais, and Hitch dropped a bomb.

Asked about Nikolai Zherdev, the team's enigmatic and talented right winger, Hitchcock said, "I must tell you right now that I see a different person. From the player I was around last season, he's a different person. We'll see how that translates out on the ice."

Then came the bomb.

"He's going to play center ice," Hitchcock said. "We're going to experiment with a line that no one has seen before, for the first week, 10 days of camp. We're going try him on a line with (Rick) Nash and (David) Vyborny."

Whoa. They're going to take Zherdev -- who has had his character assassinated by previous management, who has drawn the wrath of every coach he has ever had, who has been criticized by fans, media and, in whispers, by teammates -- and they're going to take him out of position and put him between the two best wingers on the team?

Has Doug MacLean reassumed power?

Actually, there is some serious thinking that went into this.

First, Hitchcock said, Zherdev is a better defensive forward than one might think.

"The thing that Nick did that I find unique for a skilled player is, from the red line back, he was tremendous," Hitchcock said. "He gets back, he reads the play, he gets the puck and he can lug it through the middle. Where he wasn't good enough for me is from the red line in."

After poring over Zherdev tape this summer, the thought occurred to Hitchcock: Why relegate Zherdev to the wall as a winger and restrict his space? Howson had the same thought. Why not try Zherdev at center? Give him the middle, where he's comfortable. It seems he can handle the defensive responsibilities of the position.

"As I watched him on tape, one thing that stood out was, he had the puck in the middle a lot," Howson said. "The other thing was, when he didn't have the puck, he wanted it back. Typically, centers like the puck in the neutral zone, and once they get over the blue line, they're willing to share it."

It might work. Three highly skilled players, Hitchcock said, tend to have an innate ability to read off one another. This particular combination has been tried, but not with Zherdev in the middle. Who'll take the faceoffs? They'll take turns.

Zherdev, initially flummoxed by the notion, came to embrace the challenge, Howson said. Allegedly, Zherdev is in terrific shape and excited about playing, and never before has he been accused of such things.

Keep this straight: Nash-Zherdev-Vyborny is just an experiment. If it works, it's genius. If it doesn't, well, at least Zherdev had something to get his motor started in training camp.

Wherever Zherdev winds up playing, the Blue Jackets are going to need him. They're going to need his scoring. They're going to need his head and his heart fully engaged. They want him to know it, and they've given him this carrot -- to tear after as hard as he can.

Anyone see Downie's hit on McAmmond?

Not sure what Downie's punishment will be, he's suspended until a review after receiving a match penalty for the hit.
    This kid has some anger management issues.
    He was suspended 8 times in four OHL seasons.

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

Two days after being knocked out by a hit to the head from Flyers' Steve Downie, Senators forward Dean McAmmond spoke to TSN at Scotiabank Place.

"I don't think I have concussion problems. I have a history of guys giving me traumatic blows to the head, that's what I have a problem with. I was lifeless there, I was pretty grateful that I'm pretty much normal know," McAmmond said.

The NHL is reviewing the incident but are not expected to take any action until they have a full report.

McAmmond was coming around the net in the second period of Tuesday night's exhibition game and had just released the puck when he was clobbered by the 20-year-old Downie. McAmmond was taken off on a stretcher.

The Senators forward was carried off on a stretcher, but the Senators announced yesterday that there were no fractures. Downie received a match penalty - which means an automatic and indefinite suspension pending a review.

Downie said Tuesday's hit wasn't premeditated and he did not intend to go for McAmmond's head.

"I didn't mean to hurt him and I hope he's OK," Downie said following the game. "My game's to hit and to finish the check. I'm just trying to earn a spot on the roster. It's part of my game and I apologize for him getting hurt. I thought I got him clean. Once we hit the boards after, I asked if he was okay."

This is McAmmond's third documented concussion. He also had a concussion after gettinig hit by Anaheim defenceman Chris Pronger in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup final last June.

Senators head coach John Paddock believes the league needs to come down hard on Downie, who has yet to play a regular season game in the NHL.

"I think for the good of Steve Downie. He needs to be suspended for a long time. We were cheering for him the last two christmas times (World Junior Championships) and he was a big factor. We we're cheering his clean hits and we wouldn't be cheering for something like that.

"I think this kid is the kind of player every team in the league wants, but you have to have control. To me for him to be in the NHL when he is 24-years-old, I think the league takes probably the most important thing in his life away from him for a while," Paddock said.

"I think he is a young guy who unfortunatley we all know his history in the OHL and stuff probably hockey is the most important, take it away from him, so hopefully he remembers, I think it would be the best thing for him so he can be playing in the league when he is 24 years old."
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread