+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey 2007-2008

Re: Hockey 2007-2008

Sid's staying in Pittsburgh.

PITTSBURGH (CP) - Sidney Crosby has agreed to a five-year contract extension worth US$43.5 million that will keep him with the Pittsburgh Penguins through 2012-13.

The star centre, who turns 20 on Aug. 7, became the NHL's youngest MVP since Wayne Gretzky when he was awarded the Hart Trophy last month after winning the scoring title with 120 points. He also won the Pearson Award as most outstanding player in a poll of NHL Players' Association members.

The extension averages out to $9 million a season, but Crosby and agent Pat Brisson are believed to have settled for less than the maximum they could have demanded from the Penguins.

"I really enjoy playing and living in Pittsburgh and I want to be here for a long time," said Crosby. "Individual honours and scoring championships are great, but my No. 1 goal is to win the Stanley Cup.

"I'd love to be a part of bringing the Cup back here to Pittsburgh."

The deal, though lucrative, was expected to give the Penguins some flexibility in signing other young stars Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal in the coming seasons.

Under the NHL's collective bargaining agreement, Crosby's deal will count $8.7 million a year toward the team's salary cap.

The native of Cole Harbour, N.S., was already under contract for next season for a base salary of $850,000 to complete his initial three-year, entry-level deal.

"Sidney has proven himself to be a dynamic player and team leader at a very young age, and it is exciting news for our franchise and our fans to have him under contract for the next six seasons," GM Ray Shero said in a release on Tuesday. "When you've got a guy who leads the league in scoring and wins the MVP award at the age of 19, you know you have someone very special."
    Full story

I think Nashville might have stood a chance of resigning their UFA's before July 1st if the future of the club was more certain.
    They've lost some really good players over the past couple of weeks.
    Such a shame.
    "That's Numberwang!"

JR.

Vegas would be the absolute worst place to move a team. What, there isn't anything else for people to do there? I can't believe people would even consider doing it.

It's like the lockout was all for nothing, and the league has screwed things up already. The cap was supposed to help the teams in smaller markets by keeping costs down so the teams could keep the star players and grow the fanbase. But, the payrolls are at or above where they were before, and once again, some teams just can't afford to have a payroll at 35 million, never mind 50. They had a perfect opportunity to fix things, but it feels like they didn't even try.

7 mil for Gomez? So, when is the next lockout?

I'm glad "Sid the kid" got a great deal that seems pretty reasonable, if not a tad high but definitely not as ridiculous as those who get paid millions for doing half what Sidney does.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2469061;
    I'm glad "Sid the kid" got a great deal that seems pretty reasonable, if not a tad high but definitely not as ridiculous as those who get paid millions for doing half what Sidney does.
    Does anyone know if Sidney Crosby's numbers are better than Wayne Gretzky's, after their first two years?

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonator;2470305;
    Does anyone know if Sidney Crosby's numbers are better than Wayne Gretzky's, after their first two years?
    Player 1st Season 2nd Season
    Wayne Gretzky 137 164
    Mario Lemieux 100 141
    Sidney Crosby 102 120

If you are curious about how he stacks up in other categories, here's a link to some other comparisons of Crosby to other great players.

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

He's done great, but hasn't yet beat Wayne's numbers. He's certainly brought the enthusiasm of Gretzky back into the game.
    It'll be interesting to see how the young guy in the OHL (name escapes me, but is touted as the next Crosby) will do when he comes in.

ETA: His name is John Tavares

ESPN - Report: Brent Sutter to be named Devils coach - NHL

Report: Sutter to leave WHL team, take over as Devils coach
    ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 12, 2007, 3:05 PM ET

Another Sutter is reportedly returning to the NHL.

Brent Sutter will be stepping down as general manager and head coach of the Red Deer Rebels of the Western Hockey League, sources told TSN of Canada, and is the favorite to be named the next head coach of the New Jersey Devils.

The Rebels have scheduled a news conference for Thursday.

"I really can't comment," Sutter told TSN. "We will have an announcement regarding the Rebels tomorrow. That's all there is to say at this point."

Sutter's brother Brian will reportedly take over the Rebels.

The Devils have been without a head coach since GM Lou Lamiorello fired Claude Julien with three games remaining in the regular season. Lamoriello took over behind the bench for the postseason but said he would hire a new head coach to start next season. Sources told TSN that Sutter is Lamoriello's first choice.

Sutter is scheduled to coach Team Canada in the Canada-Russia Super Series, an eight-game junior series marking the 25th anniversary of the 1972 Summit Series.

Sutter is the third-youngest of seven brothers, six of whom have played in the NHL. He played for the New York Islanders and Chicago Blackhawks in a 17-year NHL career.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

JR.

What a pathetic mess:
    To improve ticket sales, the Bruins are rolling out all kinds of new tactics in the off-season. They hired two sales and marketing executives away from the National Basketball Association's Orlando Magic to oversee an expanded ticket sales and customer service operation that includes 10 new salespeople. Last week, several Bruins players called season ticket holders, inviting them to lunch.
    Bruins revamp ticket sales force to pamper fans - The Boston Globe

I can't believe they hired marketing execs for this. More sales people? Hey JJ, here's an idea - how about putting a winning team on the ice, that'll get fans in the building. Ass.

I hope he has a slow, painful death.

I remember this may have been in Hockey or C.E. but did you hear that Rick Tocchet didn't get any jail time for his illegal sports gambling charges? Figures. It's all who you know. I doubt that regular joe gambler would get the same sentence.

TheStar.com - Sports - No jail time for Tocchet
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

To the Point

I can't remember who said it(*sorry*), but I have to agree with the idea that the lockout was for nothing. I hope that someone will recognize the danger in forgetting the lockout.

+ Reply to Thread