+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey 2007-2008

Re: Hockey 2007-2008

Speaking on behalf of Edmonton Oilers fans, we are not amused!

This Nylander thing is the last straw. I hope Washington gets penalized or that the Oilers get some kind of compensation. What a mess.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

The Oilers tried to sign Sabres Thomas Vanek to an offer sheet today, $7m per year for 7 years.
    Buffalo had little option but to match it considering they've already lost Drury and Briere to free agency.
    So the Oilers have pushed up Buffalo's salary and not gained anything, except the ire of Buffalo, whose GM has already said if any of the Edmonton unsigned RFA's appeals to them they might try to do the same thing.

Oilers might go after the likes of Parise and Penner now.
    Burke will go ballistic if they try to get Penner, I imagine.
    The Ducks might have to let him go and take the draft picks in return depending on how much Edmonton offers because I think they're closer to the cap limit.
    Of course this is just speculation by me and Penner might not sign the offer sheet anyway.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Zao

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2462963;
    The Oilers tried to sign Sabres Thomas Vanek to an offer sheet today, $7m per year for 7 years.
    Buffalo had little option but to match it considering they've already lost Drury and Briere to free agency.
    So the Oilers have pushed up Buffalo's salary and not gained anything, except the ire of Buffalo, whose GM has already said if any of the Edmonton unsigned RFA's appeals to them they might try to do the same thing.

Oilers might go after the likes of Parise and Penner now.
    Burke will go ballistic if they try to get Penner, I imagine.
    The Ducks might have to let him go and take the draft picks in return depending on how much Edmonton offers because I think they're closer to the cap limit.
    Of course this is just speculation by me and Penner might not sign the offer sheet anyway.
    I can't see Burke letting Penner go. If he has to trade roster players for cap space I can actually see him doing that.

Old news, but nice to see the Panthers get a high-profile goalie in Vokoun. Great trade, the team deserves it.

Very happy to see the Flames lock up Regehr and Iginla to 5-year extensions. Mike "Iron" Keenan, on the other hand...

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar

Once again Oiler fans had their hopes raised - Hemsky / Vanek duo - and then dashed. My take on the K-Lowe's offer sheet to Vanek was that he is getting desperate. There is lots of talk in the city that it's time to get rid of him because of all the hits that Oilers have taken in the last year. Get new blood into the management of the team. (btw - I kinda think that might be a good idea). He needed to show the Edmonton fans that he was willing to try anything to improve the team and make them a contender today not tomorrow. If he can he will definately offer for Parise or Penner.

There was an ariticle on one of the sports websites that said Buffalo could possibly tie up the Oilers offer for Vanek for the next 7 days which means that the Oilers couldn't use the 4 - 1st Round picks that went with the Vanek deal for any other deal. So basically if they could be d*cks and mess up the Oilers. Considering what the ownership of the Sabres said about targetting future Oiler RFA's they will probably do it.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

I don't like the way Buffalo has reacted to the offer sheet.
    It's a legitimate tool at the disposal of clubs so if you have unsigned RFA's you need to hurry up and get them signed.
    This 'gentleman's agreement' business is ridiculous imo.
    RFA's often get the shaft.
    My lovely JBo is the perfect example of that.
    Keenan was playing him as his number one defenseman since he was 20, but only gave him a qualifying offer of just over $1m after his entry level contract expired.
    Florida didn't flinch when the arbitrator set his salary at $2.1 and $2.35 for two years because they knew they still got him at a bargain price.

Buffalo seem to have taken Lowe's offer sheet to Vanek as an 'attack' on their club, rather than as a business move by a GM interested in a specific player. They didn't have a lot of choice but to match after losing Briere and Drury, but they could have extended Vanek's contract themselves and probably for less money before the offer came in.
    Lowe's move might have signalled that Clubs need to keep their RFA's in mind once July 1st comes round and not put extending their contracts on the back burner until they've finished whatever moves they want to make with UFA's.

An RFA who doesn't want to stay with his current club into his UFA years could be giving up a lot of cash in the short term for the chance of a transfer and bigger bucks once they become UFA's.
    Last edited by fluff; 07-08-2007 at 10:44 AM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2460131;
    This latest hike in the cap seems to be creating a haves and have-nots situation again.
    You guys are both right, it's back to where things were before the lock-out.
    Our Blue Jackets have set themselves a budget of $15 mil below the cap. WTH is that? The fans in this town aren't very happy about that.

I can imagine.
    They're only allowed to be $16m under the cap according the the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
    Sounds like they're having a tought time making ends meet and are going as close to the wire on salaries as the CBA will allow.
    Many teams in 'non traditional markets' are dealing with those issues.
    Perhaps the owner is trying to make the team look attractive enough for Mr Balsillie to make them his next taget.
    Last edited by fluff; 07-08-2007 at 10:05 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

My nephew is a Preds fan and he's fit to be tied. I read the Nashville paper online and it's not very pretty in the Music City.

I think the NHL or commissioner Bettman to be more precise basically told Craig Liepold not to accept the offer from Balsille.
    Although why Liepold wouldn't in return tell him to shove it and take the money and run I'm not sure.
    Canada props up the NHL, but Bettman doesn't seem to want another team here.
    Very sad for Preds fans to be going through this.
    They lost a bunch of UFA's, gave up the rights to Timmonen for a pittance and even though the Balsille deal isn't likely going through, still look ripe for Boots Del Baggio to buy them and ship them off to Vegas or Kansas or wherever.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2465688;
    Very sad for Preds fans to be going through this.
    They lost a bunch of UFA's, gave up the rights to Timmonen for a pittance and even though the Balsille deal isn't likely going through, still look ripe for Boots Del Baggio to buy them and ship them off to Vegas or Kansas or wherever.
    I was happy when it looked like they were moving to Hamilton. I'd finally get to watch quite a few of their games, I'd have another reason to hate the Leafs, and they'd finally get the fan and corporate support they deserved.

Now with it looking like KC or Vegas as the destination, I can't be bothered even following them this season. All the reasons why I would've liked the Hamilton Preds aren't going to happen (or might not happen, they might get lots of support) and plus Vokoun and Timonen were my favourites.

Of course, for Preds fans in Nashville/surrounding area the whole thing was a real letdown.

Also, Timonen and Hartnell were going to be UFAs with no chance of returning so acquiring those draft picks was a fantastic move.

...Reminds me that I gotta change my avatar. Been a while since I've been here, hasn't it?

+ Reply to Thread