+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey 2007-2008

Re: Hockey 2007-2008

Julien got the job, JR.

The Boston Bruins have found their man to guide the club in 2007-08.

TSN has confirmed a report that the Bruins have hired Claude Julien to be their next head coach, with an official announcement expected Tuesday.

Julien was the head coach of the New Jersey Devils during the 2006-07 campaign, but was fired April 3 despite the team leading the Atlantic Division with a 47-24-8 record.

The 47-year-old previously coached the Montreal Canadiens from January 2003 until January 2006.

In the past 30 years, 16 men have held the Bruins head coaching job. Harry Sinden had two stints, and Mike Sullivan served three seasons but was cast aside in favour of Dave Lewis after Peter Chiarelli became general manager. Chiarelli was hired on May 26 last year but continued at the Ottawa Senators' insistence as their assistant general manager until July 10.
    TSN
    "That's Numberwang!"

JR.

That's funny, still no announcement here.

This is another guy I'm not sure about. Great, the Bs will play a mind numbing trap. That will put fans in the seats It's odd that he was fired with 3 games left in the regular season, and I haven't really heard why. I have a feeling this will be yet another mistake, just like Lewis.

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar

Some of the signings today:
    Briere to Philly
    Drury & Gomez to NY Rangers
    Schneider to Anahiem

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

Trade today:
    Oilers trade Smith & Lupul to Philly for Pitkanen & Sanderson
    Bye-bye Gator it's been fun and you were a really good Capitan.

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

Smyth & Hannan to Colorado
    Kariya to St. Louis
    Sykora & Sydor to Pittsburgh

Lots of movement today, next year will be interesting.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

I'm really curious to see where Stuart winds up. I'd love if he stayed with the Flames, but I really believe that's just a pipe dream.

I'm really not that interested in hockey anymore, especially after Mark Messier retired.

Bertuzzi, May and Burke are reunited up in Anaheim.
    $4m a year for two years for a player that had major back surgery last season after seven games and only played a handfull in the playoffs seems steep to me.

Some of the contracts are ludicrous imo.
    Briere will get $10m next season. Briere!!
    Edmonton fans seem to be torn between being sad to see Jason Smith go and being ecstatic that Lupul has gone with him.
    "That's Numberwang!"

JR.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2459259;
    Some of the contracts are ludicrous imo.
    Yep, they're just about back to where they were before the lockout. The same problems are starting to creep up again. There will always be teams that overspend if allowed to, because there are some markets that bring in more money.

I don't think the NHL should have raised the cap number. It would've made things better to keep it at the original 40-something million for 3 - 4 years. There were teams that couldn't really afford that much. Now, as the max cap goes up, the minimum cap goes up too, these teams are still screwed.

Totally agree about raising the salary cap - stupid move. Why did we have to suffer through the lockout for a year if they just go right back to where they were before.

And then we have the continuing saga that is the Edmonton Oilers. I love them dearly but why oh why does everything go wrong for them.

In a statement Tuesday, the Oilers said Nylander had signed with the Oilers on Sunday, only to then sign a US$19.5-million, four-year contract with the Capitals the next day.

To make matters worse, the Oilers say they held off going after other potential free agents because they thought they had Nylander in the bag. The 34-year-old Swede was one of the top catches on the free-agent market, setting career highs in goals (26), assists (57) and points (83) with the New York Rangers last season.

"On Sunday, July 1, 2007, Kevin Lowe, Oilers general manager, and Mr. Mike Gillis, certified agent for Michael Nylander, negotiated and agreed to a multi-year NHL Standard Players Contract, starting in 2007-08. Mr. Gillis confirmed same to the Oilers in writing," the Oilers' statement read Tuesday.
    TSN - Canada's Sports Leader

This latest hike in the cap seems to be creating a haves and have-nots situation again.
    You guys are both right, it's back to where things were before the lock-out.

Some teams have been decimated by this latest free-agent frenzy.
    It would appear the days of Eastern Conference Championships might well be over for Buffalo.
    Guys are leaving the Isles left and right too and the Flyers might just have bought themselves a winning team for next season.
    There are clubs that, as things stand and admittedly no one has finished getting their squad in place, aren't even close to the new salary floor of $34m.
    That's more than some teams were paying as their maximum before the lock-out.
    The cap goes up if revenue goes up and revenue is apparently soaring, possibly because some of the top grossing teams are Canadian and the Canadian dollar is very strong.

The Nylander issues with the Oilers is very strange.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread