+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2007

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

Re: Baseball 2007

it's like kool-aid for baseball players

Thanks for finding that Unk! I've noticed them so much more this year!

And about that Texas/Seattle game today - I lost a start! I have Padilla on my fantasy team - so much for a 2-start pitcher for the week!

Have any of you heard about this? This is the first I've heard of it.
    United Press International - NewsTrack - Sports - Mets' worker supplied steroids to MLB pros
    Mets' worker supplied steroids to MLB pros
    SAN FRANCISCO, April 27 (UPI) -- A former New York Mets equipment manager admitted in court Friday he distributed performance-enhancing drugs to dozens of Major League Baseball players.

Kirk Radomski -- who worked as a batboy, clubhouse assistant and equipment manager for the Mets from 1985-95 -- said in a plea agreement filed in federal court Friday that he distributed drugs including anabolic steroids and human growth hormone to players during a 10-year period beginning in 1995, The Washington Post reported.

Radomski, 37, agreed to cooperate with the investigation of steroids in baseball being led by former U.S. Sen. George Mitchell, D-Me., as part of a plea deal entered at the U.S. District Court in the Northern District of California in San Francisco.

Radomski admitted he supplied drugs to players throughout the league and laundering the money he received.

He pleaded guilty to one count of distributing anabolic steroids and one count of felony money laundering. He faces up to 25 years in prison and $500,000 in fines, the Post said.

Documents filed in the case indicate an informant told the FBI Radomski took over the distribution of performance-enhancing drugs to professional baseball players after the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative was shut down by investigators in 2003.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

Unk - it was ALL over the NY news because he worked for the Mets. The thing is, what does it matter if it was someone in the league in 1985? Okay, I know it's ALL illegal and the use of the steroids just irks me because it is ILLEGAL and they never seem to face those sort of charges, but at this point, it just seems like it's not affecting what's going on NOW in the league.

I wonder if names will come out....

and on a totally unrelated note...what the heck is wrong with my Yankees? Jeez....I could pitch better!

Cardinals relief pitcher, Josh Hancock, was killed early this morning in a car accident.

SPORTS - Comcast.net

Crash Kills Cardinals Reliever Hancock
    By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer

46 minutes ago

ST. LOUIS - Josh Hancock, a key member of the bullpen that helped the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series last season, was killed in a car crash early Sunday.

The Cardinals postponed their home game Sunday night against the Chicago Cubs. It was the second time in less than five years that a St. Louis pitcher died during the season. Darryl Kile was found dead in his hotel room in 2002.

Police said the 29-year-old Hancock was alone in his 2007 Ford Explorer when he struck the rear of a tow truck at 12:35 a.m. The truck was in the left lane assisting another vehicle that was involved in a prior accident, officer Pete Mutter said.

Hancock was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the tow truck, whose name was not released by police, was in the truck at the time of the crash but was not injured. The medical examiner's office said Sunday morning that an autopsy had been scheduled.

"All of baseball today mourns the tragic and untimely death of St. Louis pitcher Josh Hancock," baseball commissioner Bud Selig said. "He was a fine young pitcher who played an important role on last year's World Series championship team."

Hancock was remembered at ballparks around the country. The Cleveland Indians observed a moment of silence before their game against the Baltimore Orioles, with Hancock's picture displayed on a giant scoreboard.

"It's terrible, another terrible event," said Rockies manager Clint Hurdle, who was the Colorado hitting coach when Kile was a part of the Rockies' staff in 1998 and 1999. "The young man had done so well last fall and had a promising career. It's just terrible."

A Cardinals-Cubs game also was postponed in June 2002 after Kile died in Chicago. The 33-year-old pitcher died of a coronary artery blockage.

Hancock, who pitched three innings of relief in Saturday's 8-1 loss to the Cubs, played for four major league clubs. He went 3-3 with a 4.09 ERA in 62 regular-season appearances for the Cardinals last season and pitched in three postseason games. He was 0-1 with a 3.55 ERA in eight games this season.

Three days before his death, the Cardinals got a scare that some teammates said reminded them of Kile's death _ Hancock overslept and showed up late for a day game in St. Louis. Hancock told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he thought the starting time was later and didn't get up until the "20th call" from anxious teammates.

"We were all a little nervous," closer Jason Isringhausen said earlier this week. "We don't care if you're late. That happens. We want to know that you're OK."

Hancock made his offseason home in St. Louis. He was the only player to attend the premiere of a DVD documenting the Cardinals' unlikely run to their 10th World Series championship after winning only 83 regular-season games.

Hancock, who was single, joined the Cardinals in spring training last season after the Cincinnati Reds released him for violating a weight clause in his contract. He had been a starter the previous year with Cincinnati, but missed 133 games because of groin and elbow injuries. He also pitched for Boston and Philadelphia.

In 1997, Hancock helped Auburn advance to the College World Series.

"Josh was a part of arguably the best pitching staff and arguably the best team ever to play at Auburn. It is a shame whenever anyone dies, especially someone as young as Josh, in a tragic accident," said Auburn coach Tom Slater, an assistant at the school when Hancock played there.

___

Associated Press Writer Betsy Taylor contributed to this report.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

ESPN.com - MLB - Police: Hancock was legally drunk at time of crash

Updated: May 4, 2007, 12:01 PM ET
    Police: Hancock was drunk, had marijuana in his car

ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Josh Hancock was drunk at the time of his fatal accident, and marijuana was found in the sport utility vehicle he was driving.

Police Chief Joe Mokwa also said at a news conference Friday that the 29-year-old Hancock was speaking on a cell phone at about the time of the crash early Sunday on Interstate 64 in St. Louis.

"Mr. Hancock was legally intoxicated at the time of the accident," Mokwa said.

St. Louis medical examiner Michael Graham said Hancock's blood-alcohol level was 0.157, nearly twice Missouri's legal limit of 0.08.

Mokwa said 8.55 grams of marijuana and a glass pipe used to smoke marijuana were found in the rented Ford Explorer. Toxicology tests to determine if drugs were in his system had not been completed.

An accident reconstruction team determined Hancock was traveling 68 mph in a 55 mph zone when his SUV struck the back of a flatbed tow truck stopped in a driving lane. Mokwa said there was no evidence Hancock tried to stop. He did swerve, but too late to avoid the collision.

Graham said the pitcher died "within seconds" of head injuries. Hancock was not wearing a seat belt, but Graham said the belt would not have prevented his death.

Mokwa said cell phone records showed Hancock was speaking with a female acquaintance at about the time of the accident. Mokwa said the conversation ended abruptly, presumably when the accident occurred.

Hancock, a key bullpen member on the World Series championship team last season, was driving alone. The tow truck driver was not hurt.

Hancock, who pitched three innings of relief in last Saturday's 8-1 loss to the Cubs, left Busch Stadium around 6:30 p.m. and arrived about two hours later at Mike Shannon's, a restaurant and bar owned by the former Cardinals third baseman who now is a team broadcaster. Police said Hancock left Shannon's shortly after midnight.

At 12:34 a.m. Sunday, the tow truck came upon a disabled Geo Prism and stopped behind it with its yellow lights flashing to protect the car, Mokwa said. A few moments later, Hancock's SUV struck the rear of the tow truck.

"If you drink, don't drive," Mokwa said. "Use a taxi. Have a designated driver. Call a friend."

Graham said Hancock had severe chest injuries as well as the fatal head injuries.

"There's nothing at all that could have been done for him," Graham said.

An estimated 500 mourners turned out Thursday for a memorial service for Hancock in Tupelo, Miss., recalling the pitcher as a goodhearted prankster. Among the mourners were Hancock's teammates, coaches, manager Tony La Russa and general manager Walt Jocketty. Hancock was buried Wednesday in rural Itawamba County, Miss.

Hancock made his major league debut in September 2002 and played for four major league clubs. He went 3-3 with a 4.09 ERA in 62 regular-season appearances for the Cardinals last season, leading the bullpen in innings, and pitched in three postseason games.

He was 0-1 with a 3.55 ERA in eight games this season.

Hancock joined the Cardinals in spring training last season after Cincinnati released him for violating a weight clause in his contract. He also pitched for Boston and Philadelphia.

The Cardinals postponed a home game the day of the accident against Chicago and haven't won since. They were swept in a three-game series in Milwaukee and had a day off Thursday.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

I'm a big giants fan, and I'm really surprised their not doing bad at all. Their second in the West and Bonds is doing great.

Clemens rejoins Yankees

The Yankees sure do need the pitching help. Being an Indians fan I hate the Yankees. I'm really surprised the Yankees are giving him preferential treatment like the Astros did. With all the superstars on the team it's bound to ruffle some of the egos of the other players.
    Rocket to ride: Clemens rejoins Yankees - MLB - Yahoo! Sports
    Rocket to ride: Clemens rejoins Yankees
    By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer
    May 6, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- The seventh-inning stretch was ending when the low, familiar voice of public-address announcer Bob Sheppard told fans at Yankee Stadium to direct their attention to the owner's box behind home plate.

Standing there, microphone in hand, was Roger Clemens to personally announce his return to New York.

"Well, they came and got me out of Texas and I can tell you it's a privilege to be back," he said. "I'll be talking to y'all soon."

With his brief address, shown on the right-center field videoboard to 52,553 fans and many more watching on television, the Rocket rejoined the Yankees in most dramatic fashion.

He agreed to a $28 million, one-year contract that will start when he is added to the major league roster for his first start, most likely in three to four weeks. Clemens will earn about $18.5 million under the deal, which will cost the Yankees approximately $7.4 million in additional luxury tax, meaning they are investing about $26 million in a seven-time Cy Young Award winner who will turn 45 in August.

"Roger Clemens is a winner and a champion, and he is someone who can be counted on to help make this season one that all Yankees fans can be proud of," owner George Steinbrenner said in a statement. "The sole mission of this organization is to win a world championship."

Clemens helped the Yankees win World Series titles in 1999 and 2000, then left after the 2003 season intending to retire. But when Andy Pettitte signed with the Houston Astros, Clemens also joined their hometown team.

The Rocket retired again after the 2004 and 2005 seasons, only to re-sign the Astros both times. Pettitte changed the dynamic when he rejoined New York this season.

Clemens had limited his field to the Yankees, Astros and Boston Red Sox, his original team. But when Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks, spoke to the Astros and Red Sox in recent days, they said they'd prefer he join up with them in late June or early July. The Yankees, according to Hendricks, said: "We'd like you yesterday."

"Make no mistake about it, I've come back to do what they only know how to do here with the Yankees, and that's win a championship," Clemens said. "Anything else is a failure, and I know that."

Yankees manager Joe Torre had known for a couple of days that a deal was in the works. Talks intensified Thursday, with general manager Brian Cashman negotiating by Blackberry with Hendricks, who was at Fenway Park. Hendricks called Clemens on Friday, when the pitcher was in Austin, Texas, and a deal was approved by New York during a Friday late-afternoon conference call with Steinbrenner, Cashman, team president Randy Levine and Steinbrenner's two sons.

Clemens got up in Houston at 5:30 a.m. on Sunday and flew up to New York. He arrived at LaGuardia Airport at about 1 p.m., changed at a Manhattan hotel and arrived at the ballpark in the sixth inning. He wore a Yankees cap and one of his Yankees World Series rings during a postgame news conference, but wasn't sure which one.

"It's nice to have a choice," he said.

After Clemens addressed the crowd, fans started chanting his name in waves, as more and more realized he had returned.

"It feels like coming back home," Clemens said. "You feel like you're welcomed and you know what it's all about."

He begins with a minor league contract, and will start his workouts in Lexington, Ky., where his son Koby is playing in the Houston Astros' farm system. He hopes to start pitching in minor league games in about two weeks.

Clemens didn't even have a chance to tell Pettitte or other friends about the deal in advance.

"I'm not looking forward to the phone call or seeing Andy here shortly. He's going to be mad at me," Clemens said.

Clemens is eighth on the career wins list with 348 and second in strikeouts with 4,604. He was 7-6 with a 2.30 ERA last season for Houston.

"The only time I'll be disappointed is if my body breaks down, and I'm going to put the work and the time in to hopefully not allow that to happen," he said. "I expect to perform like I was 25, that's my expectations. Anything short of that would be a disappointment."

The Yankees, 14-15 and 5 1/2 games behind AL East-leading Boston, have seen so many pitchers get hurt that they are set to become on Monday the first team in major league history to use 10 starters in its first 30 games. The Yankees tried to persuade Clemens to join them when he visited their spring training camp on March 7.

"Make no mistake about it, the Yankees were in both of my ears the whole time," Clemens said. "And that was well before they even had the problems that they've had on the mound."

Clemens will have the same travel privileges he had with Houston last year, when he sometimes skipped road trips if he wasn't scheduled to pitch, spending time at home with his family and working with Astros minor leaguers. Torre discussed the arrangement with his veteran players before the Yankees agreed.

"If he'd like, I'd carry his bags out to the car," Jason Giambi joked.

Red Sox players were saddened to lose out on Clemens, but being in first place cushioned the blow.

"It would have been nice to have him, but we didn't need him," Curt Schilling said. "I feel like we were a legitimate World Series contender without him."

Houston catcher Brad Ausmus was disappointed.

"I would much rather have Andy Pettitte and Roger Clemens on this team with us," he said. "They're big-game winning pitchers. I loved playing with them."

Clemens, despite annual retirement announcements, shows few signs of slowing down. He joked when a question was asked about the length of the contract.

"That's what I'd like to know," he said. "I think I can go right into senior softball."

I'm really surprised the Yankees are giving him preferential treatment like the Astros did. With all the superstars on the team it's bound to ruffle some of the egos of the other players.
    They're desperate!
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

As a Red Sox fan the Clemens thing doesnt bother me. He will be leaving the team when he wants and I think it will create more problems in the Yankee clubhouse

I don't get why he can't just make up his mind a the beginning of the season like everyone else.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

+ Reply to Thread