+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2007

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Baseball 2007

Link Here

Stars-crossed antics at the Series

By Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa | Sunday, October 28, 2007

DENVER - Major League Baseball’s roster of celebrities for the 2007 World Series is causing Major League headaches!

First there’s MLB poster boy Dane Cook - he of the ubiquitous “There’s only one October!” TV ads. Dane has yet to show his face at any of the Fall Classic games. He was due to be in the house for Game 1, but sent his brother instead.

Dane, who was on the Left Coast promoting his new flick, “Dan In Real Life,” didn’t make it to Game 2 at Fenway either, even though he again had tickets on the first-base line. And it’s unlikely he’ll show in Denver for Games 3, 4, or 5, we’re told.

“Maybe he thinks it’s November,” joked one MLB wag.

Then there’s Carrie Underwood, last night’s anthem talent. The former “American Idol,” who belted out the oh-say-can-you-sees at Coors Field, has been a PETA poster gal and two-time World’s Sexiest Vegetarian.

Sadly, the owners of the Colorado Rockies, Dick and Charlie Monfort, are meat packers! The duo’s granddaddy Warren Monfort and dad, Ken, started one of the largest beef empires in the world then sold it to Swift. Carrie is a member of the Humane Society, which is no fan of rodeo, hunting or packing plants - in other words Colorado’s meat and potatoes!

Rockies officials said they were not consulted about the anthem talent.

“Major League Baseball told us who the singers would be,” Rockies spokesguy Jay Alves told the Rocky Mountain News.

Of course, Fox is televising the World Series and is supplying some of the celebs.Besides Underwood, fellow “American Idol” Taylor Hicks has been tapped to do the Star Spangled honors for Game 5. (Trish Yearwood has the microphone tonight along with Lonestar, which will do “God Bless America.”)

“Carrie Underwood was invited to sing the national anthem based solely on her vocal accomplishments, including being a two-time Grammy Award Winner and the best-selling female country artist from 2005-2007,” Major League Baseball said in a statement.

Which brings us to Neil Diamond. The Red Sox [team stats] have repeatedly tried to lure the cranky over-the-hill crooner to Fenway to serenade The Faithful with middle-of-the-eighth-inning standby “Sweet Caroline.”

The Sox suits have made their pitch a number of times over the years. But even when Neil was in town to play the Garden (then FleetCenter) in 2005, he wouldn’t make the trip across town to sing at Fenway.

So what can Diamond possibly have against the Sox, who have given new life to his tired old ditty by playing it at every home game??? You would think he would think that was so good, so good, so good!

“I don’t think he’s exactly refused, he just hasn’t done it yet,” said Sox dog-and-pony show wrangler Dr. Charles Steinberg, who, we hear may have a shot again if the Series goes back to Fenway.

The team’s special events staff thought they had a good chance at some Sweet Neil Diamond action for Game 1 at Fenway. Team owner Tom Werner had his cell phone in his hand all afternoon awaiting word from the singer’s peeps. But when it finally came, it was the usual thanks-but-no-thanks. And despite what you may have read in the Boring Broadsheet, Diamond was NOT at the old ballyard for either of the first two games.

“If he were here,” Steinberg said, “we would have MADE him sing!”

Which would have been Sweet victory ...

Playing our songs

And speaking of music, Denver may not be ready to concede the Series to the Sox, but the Mile High City has admitted that Boston rocks!

“The Sox rock harder than the Rox,” notes the Rocky Mountain News.

After the Rockies’ home games, the music gurus at Coors Field blast out Joe Walsh’s “Rocky Mountain Way,” which, the paper notes, was a hit in 1973, before Denver even had a Major League team.

The Sox, of course, have a trio of victory tunes - “Dirty Water” by the Standells, “Tessie” by the Dropkick Murphys and “Joy to the World” by Three Dog Night. Advantage: Boston!

But the Rockies do let their players pick their own personal anthems that play when they get up to bat. Slugger Matt Holliday uses Scott Stapp’s “You Will Soar,” centerfielder Ryan Spilborghs likes Gwen Stefani’s “Sweet Escape” and rightfielder Brad Hawpe goes for Nickelback’s “Rockstar.” But Todd Helton ironically chose Boston band Aerosmith for his theme song. Todd likes “Back In The Saddle.”

Gone Papi Gone

UberSox fan Ben Affleck, in Europe promoting his flick “Gone Baby Gone,” has been checking into hotels under an assumed name - David Ortiz!

“Dammit,” laughed Ben’s publicist Ken Sunshine, who we reached in Paris, “you got us. Now Ben’s going to have to go back using the name Matt Damon.”

Speaking of Ben, the director arranged to have Game 3 of the World Series beamed into his haute hotel room at 2:30 this morning!

Affleck also had a few choice words on the subject of loyalty for White House wannabe Rudy Giuliani, who is catching heat in the Big Apple for supporting the Sox in the Series.

“I would rather say the line, ‘I worship you, Satan,’ than say my favorite baseball team is the Yankees,” the “Gone Baby Gone” director tells Movies.com. “I got family in Boston . . .They don’t take this stuff lightly.”

A Rockies start

The Rockies threw a swish World Series soiree at the Colorado Convention Center on Friday night to welcome the Red Sox to town and fete their sponsors, MLB officials and VIPs.

Team owners Charlie and Dick Monfort were in the house along with minority partner Linda Alvarado, a posse of local city and state pols, and various and sundry members of the Coors beer clan.

The Red Sox turnout was slight - we spied radio play-by-play guy Glenn Geffner, Fenway Sports Group’s Chuck Steedman, marketing man Joe Januszewski and former Red Sox media guru Peter Chase, who now runs the spin show for the Chicago Cubs.

But that is because Sox czars John Henry, Tom Werner and Larry Lucchino and their posse didn’t arrive until yesterday. The Big Three chartered a jet to the Rocky Mountains and brought every member of the Red Sox front office along for the ride - a nice little perk!

So, how was the flight, John?

“Having a 2-0 lead makes for a very nice flight,” the Sox owner replied.

At the gala, the purple-and-black bedecked fans were in a festive mood after being plied with lots of free booze, lobster mac and cheese, filet mignon burritos and solid chocolate baseball caps --even though their team was down 2-0 at the time. A John Denver cover band provided the entertainment. Natch.

“Now that we’re back home, the Rockies are looking to show the rest of the country how well they play,” said Rockies director of Development and Administration Dick Moore. “That first game in Boston, that was not typical Rockies.”

No, more like the Rockies’ wives. . . .
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama
    “That first game in Boston, that was not typical Rockies.”

No, more like the Rockies’ wives. . . .

. . . wearing blindfolds!

Woo-Hoo! Go Sox!
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

FORT Fogey

The Red Sox just won the World Series by sweeping the Rockies.

Wow, it's going to be a very fun time in the City of Boston this week!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac;2635190;

The Red Sox just won the World Series by sweeping the Rockies.

Wow, it's going to be a very fun time in the City of Boston this week!!!
    And I watched every minute! Well bouncing back and forth with my ABC shows until 11pm but for the most part, I caught all of it! GO PABLEBON!!!!!!!! GO SOX!!!!!! I'm sure there'll be a lot of too
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

FORT Fanatic

Congratulations to the World Champion Boston Red Sox and to the series MVP Mike Lowell. Please resign this man!!!

Last edited by bewty; 10-29-2007 at 02:42 AM.

So what can Diamond possibly have against the Sox, who have given new life to his tired old ditty by playing it at every home game??? You would think he would think that was so good, so good, so good!!
    God, that was one of the worst articles I've ever read. Journalism advantage: Colorado!

Well, I really didn't think that Big Papi and Manny's egos needed any more stroking, but congrats to the Red Sox anyway.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I just realized that I hadn't come in here and congratulated my fellow Red Sox lovers

....I know this thread got rather quiet once the Indians lost but to Pom, bewty, nilesgirl, Brooks, redsox girl (and any other Sox fan here)........

Oh happy day................
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Way to go Hens!!!! Don't let any Steinbrenner put you down!! (Gotta go switch to my Mud Hens avatar.)

Mud Hens make offer to A-Rod
    Posted: Thursday November 1, 2007 4:15PM; Updated: Thursday November 1, 2007 4:25PM

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) -- Alex Rodriguez may have another option if he can't get enough money from the Dodgers, Angels, Cubs or Red Sox.

The Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens have sent baseball's most coveted free agent a contract offer that includes incentives if he hits 75 home runs for them next season.

The team conjured up the idea after Rodriguez opted out of his $252 million, 10-year contract with the Yankees.

Hank Steinbrenner, a son of Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, told the New York Times, "Does he want to go into the Hall of Fame as a Yankee, or a Toledo Mud Hen?"

The Mud Hens decided to find out, said Jason Griffin, a spokesman for the Detroit Tiger's top farm team.

The club created a Hall of Fame plaque of Rodriguez wearing a Mud Hens hat.

A letter sent on Thursday to Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, offered a deal with a bonus if A-Rod leads the team to 10 consecutive International League titles.

But the offer stipulates that Rodriguez will have to compete for a spot with Toledo third basemen Mike Hessman, the league's most valuable player last season.

"Would your client be willing to play a different position?" the letter asked.
    SI.com - MLB - Holy Toledo! Mud Hens make offer to A-Rod - Thursday November 1, 2007 4:15PM

C.C. Sabathia wins AL Cy Young Award

Way to go C.C.! Thank goodness voting took place before the postseason.
    NEW YORK (AP) -- C.C. Sabathia beat Josh Beckett at last -- albeit a few weeks later than he hoped.

Sabathia won the AL Cy Young Award on Tuesday, topping Boston's ace and two other worthy contenders by a comfortable margin to become the first Cleveland Indians pitcher in 35 years to earn the honor.

Sabathia received 19 of 28 first-place votes and finished with 119 points in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Beckett, who outpitched Sabathia twice in the playoffs, was second with eight first-place votes and 86 points.

"I did look at a few numbers," Sabathia said on a conference call from his California home. "I definitely thought that Beckett -- it could have went either way. I'm just happy and thankful that it went my way."

It might have gone the other way if October results counted. Voting took place before the postseason, when Sabathia struggled as Beckett put together a string of dominant outings to help Boston win the World Series.

The Red Sox right-hander trounced Sabathia two times in the AL championship series and went 4-0 with a 1.20 ERA in four postseason starts, striking out 35 and walking two. Sabathia was 1-2 with an 8.80 ERA and 13 walks in three playoff outings.

"The first two I can definitely say I was trying to do too much," Sabathia said. "Just trying to make perfect pitches."

John Lackey of the Los Angeles Angels got the other first-place vote and came in third. Cleveland's Fausto Carmona was fourth.

Sabathia went 19-7 with a 3.21 ERA and 209 strikeouts, pitching a major league-high 241 innings. Beckett (20-7) became the only big leaguer to win 20 games since 2005, compiling a 3.27 ERA in 200 2-3 innings. Lackey led the AL in ERA at 3.01, going 19-9 and tossing 224 innings. Carmona was 19-8 with a 3.06 ERA.

"I was excited. My family and everybody were around," Sabathia said. "I was surprised. Beckett had a great year and an even better postseason."

The only other Cleveland pitcher to win the award was Hall of Famer Gaylord Perry in 1972. Now that he's got one of his own, Sabathia plans to display the trophy prominently.

"I'm sitting in my office right now, I'm looking for a spot. I'll probably put it right here," he said.

Sabathia is the first black pitcher to win a Cy Young Award since Dwight Gooden of the New York Mets in 1985 -- and the first in the AL since Oakland's Vida Blue in 1971.

"That's awesome to be mentioned with him," said Sabathia, adding that he recently attended a meeting designed to foster ideas on how to generate more interest in baseball among black kids.

While the top four Cy Young candidates had similar statistics, Sabathia's stamina apparently set him apart. After being sidelined by injuries the previous two seasons, the 6-foot-7, 290-pound left-hander stayed healthy all year and made 34 starts to Beckett's 30. That helped account for their wide gap in innings pitched.

"I can't really say I was tired in the postseason," Sabathia said. "My arm felt fine. ... The velocity was there."

The 27-year-old Sabathia also walked only 37 batters, giving him a remarkable strikeout-to-walk ratio that took pressure off his defense all season. Beckett had 194 strikeouts and 40 walks.

"I think just keeping down the walks," Sabathia said, "being able to go deep in the games, I think was the biggest deal in helping me win this."

Sabathia is entering the final season of his contract with the Indians, who are preparing to offer him a long-term deal this winter. Cleveland general manager Mark Shapiro would like to have his ace locked up before spring training starts in February.

"This year he crossed the final gates of being a true No. 1," Shapiro said. "C.C. took ownership of what he could control and let go of the things he couldn't control, and that allowed him to really focus pitch to pitch, stay in his delivery and turn into a pitcher instead of just a guy with great potential and a great arm.

"Maybe the most influential leadership he demonstrated this year was how he handled the stretch of five to seven games where he got almost no run support," the GM added. "He never pointed fingers, never felt sorry for himself, stayed a positive, team-oriented guy and continued to contribute and pull for our team's victories, not worrying about his own individual performance."

Sabathia, picked by Cleveland in the first round of the 1998 draft, has made it clear he'd like to stay with the Indians -- for the right price.

"We have the utmost respect, appreciation for C.C. and a strong desire to keep him here and have him remain in an Indian uniform. C.C. I think shares that desire," Shapiro said. "The only question that remains to be answered is, can we find a business deal that works for both the Indian organization and C.C. Sabathia? We're going to take the next -- what is it now, three months -- and try to find that out."

Beckett gets $100,000 for finishing second, and his 2010 base salary increases $100,000 to $12.1 million. Lackey earns $75,000 for coming in third, and his 2009 base salary goes up $500,000 to $10 million.

AL and NL Manager of the Year will be announced Wednesday and then the NL Cy Young Award on Thursday, with San Diego ace Jake Peavy considered the favorite.
    SI.com - MLB - Sabathia*captures AL Cy Young award - Tuesday November 13, 2007 6:10PM
    Last edited by Unklescott; 11-14-2007 at 01:03 AM. Reason: forgot link

+ Reply to Thread