+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2007

Re: Baseball 2007

I dont understand the scheduling. The Red Sox have a 10am start tomorrow for Patriots Day ( a state holiday, Boston Marathon) against a west coast team.
    The weather has been brutal here this April.

FORT Fogey

I thought it was a Marathon tradition for the Sox game on that day to be at 10am. Is that not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2332116;
    I thought it was a Marathon tradition for the Sox game on that day to be at 10am. Is that not the case?
    More or less. The time used to be 11am and this year it was switched to 10am because the starting time of the Marathon was changed. If you're an Angels fan in California that is a 7am start.
    When I was a kid we would always go to the game on Patrots Day it was fun being at Fenway in the morning.

Buehrle Throws No-hitter for White Sox

He was so close to a perfect game too.
    ESPN.com - MLB - Recap
    White Sox 6, Rangers 0

CHICAGO (AP) -- Mark Buehrle was pretty cool about his no-hitter. Until he had three outs to go.

"You don't want to make that one mistake and give up a hit," he said. "I could feel my knees a little bit, a little shaken, a little extra adrenaline going for the ninth inning."

Imagine how jittery Buehrle might have been if he was still working on a perfect game.

The Chicago White Sox left-hander faced the minimum 27 batters in a 6-0 victory over the Texas Rangers on Wednesday night, picking off the only runner he walked and throwing the first no-hitter of the major league season.

Working quickly and efficiently in a dominant performance, Buehrle allowed just one baserunner in Chicago's first no-hitter since 1991. He walked Sammy Sosa with one out in the fifth, then promptly picked him off first base.

"I can't believe I did it," Buehrle said. "Perfect game would have been nice, too."

Buehrle stayed calm all night. Bucking baseball tradition, he joked with teammates and even went to the clubhouse to watch some TV and chat with catcher A.J. Pierzynski.

Then came the ninth inning. With the crowd on its feet, Buehrle struck out Matt Kata and Nelson Cruz before Gerald Laird hit a slow grounder to third base that Joe Crede picked up and threw to first. As Paul Konerko caught the ball, he pumped his fist, setting off a wild celebration.

"Obviously, never in a million years thought I'd be able to have this happen," Buehrle said. "I don't know if it's really sunk in yet."

Buehrle was mobbed by teammates at the side of the mound. He got a big hug from manager Ozzie Guillen as he came off the field.

"I told Mark right after the game I've been nervous, but never like that in the World Series or playoffs or whatever," Pierzynski said. "When he got to ninth inning and two outs I was a lot more nervous than I was in the World Series. I don't want to say there was more on the line, but for a personal accomplishment that's about as good as it gets."

Buehrle said his teammates tried to avoid him on the bench as the game progressed, determined not to jinx him. But he went up to a couple of players in the dugout around the fifth inning and said, "You know I got a no-hitter going."

"People try to jinx and I was trying to jinx on myself," Buehrle said.

On a chilly, 40-degree night, Buehrle threw 105 pitches and struck out eight in a game that took just 2 hours, 3 minutes. His previous low-hit game was a one-hitter against Tampa Bay on Aug. 3, 2001. It was the 16th no-hitter in White Sox history and first since Wilson Alvarez threw one at Baltimore on Aug. 11, 1991.

"I was part of one in high school," Buehrle said. "To get through a big league lineup three times, I never thought it would happen."

It was the first no-hitter pitched against the Rangers since June 17, 1995, when Toronto's David Cone threw one in a 4-0 win.

More than two years passed without a no-hitter in major league baseball before rookie Anibal Sanchez threw one for Florida on Sept. 6, ending the longest stretch without a no-no in big league history. His gem against the Arizona Diamondbacks was the first in the majors since Arizona's Randy Johnson threw a perfect game to beat Atlanta 2-0 on May 18, 2004.

Over in the National League, John Maine of the New York Mets also flirted with a no-hitter Wednesday night, taking his bid into the seventh inning before Miguel Cabrera hit a leadoff single.

Buehrle, who retired 20 of the final 22 batters he faced in his previous start against Oakland, had some stellar defensive plays behind him before a crowd of 25,390 at U.S. Cellular Field.

Three of the closest plays came on grounders. Jerry Hairston hit one to Crede in the third inning and was called out at first after a headlong slide. Replays showed Hairston was out, but he was ejected by first base umpire James Hoye for arguing and had to be restrained by first base coach Gary Pettis when he returned to the field.

"Obviously, I thought I was safe," Hairston said. "But I don't want to take away from Buehrle, the guy just threw a no-hitter."

Second baseman Tadahito Iguchi made a diving stop of Hank Blalock's grounder in the hole, got up and threw him out to end the fifth. That came one batter after Sosa spoiled the perfect game bid by drawing the walk.

"I told him I couldn't believe he walked Sammy but he picked him off," Pierzynski said. "Doesn't it count still?"

In the seventh, Chicago shortstop Juan Uribe went into the hole to get Ian Kinsler's grounder and got him at first, thanks to a nice scoop by Konerko.

Chicago right fielder Jermaine Dye also made a nice play in the second on Blalock, going back to the fence to catch his long drive.

"Obviously, for a guy like me, I need my defense behind me," Buehrle said.

Once the ace of the White Sox staff, Buehrle went 12-13 last season -- his first losing record in six full major league seasons. After making the All-Star team, he struggled mightily after the break, going just 3-7.

Buehrle is in the final year of his contract. One of the first people to greet him in the clubhouse after the game was general manager Kenny Williams.

"He was on from the get-go," Blalock said. "He throws six or seven different pitches. He was hitting his spots and keeping us off balance. It was a great game by him."

The White Sox made it easier Wednesday night by breaking out of an offensive slump. They scored only two runs in the previous three games, all losses.

Jim Thome homered twice -- giving him 477 for his career -- and Dye hit a two-out grand slam in the fifth off Kevin Millwood (2-2).

Game notes
    Buehrle is 9-3 in his career against the Rangers. ... It was Dye's sixth career slam. His last one came on July 4, 2005, against Tampa Bay.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 04-19-2007 at 03:46 AM.

I was here praying that no hitter would be broken up.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

Unk - my husband has Buehrle on his fantasy team and had him in reserve so he didn't get the points

Can anyone explain these weird necklaces the players are wearing - they are like hard rubber or something??

I'm SO enjoying baseball even more having a fantasy team. It makes me more into the National League as well.

Yikes. The Mariners just had their sixth game of the season postponed.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Sorry, Mar! It's that unpredictable Texas weather. The good thing is it changes quickly and we'll be able to kick some M's butt tomorrow. Payback for last night, you know?
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;2347925;
    Sorry, Mar! It's that unpredictable Texas weather. The good thing is it changes quickly and we'll be able to kick some M's butt tomorrow. Payback for last night, you know?
    Actually, you won't get a chance until July. For whatever reason, it was only scheduled to be a two game series. We start another two game series in Oakland tomorrow. Weird scheduling.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp;2347777;
    Can anyone explain these weird necklaces the players are wearing - they are like hard rubber or something??

I read something about those but I certainly don't recall what the purpose was.
    ETA Found it!
    Baseball: Players put their faith in necklaces - Sports - International Herald Tribune
    Baseball: Players put their faith in necklaces
    Lee Jenkins The New York Times

FRIDAY, JUNE 24, 2005
    PHILADELPHIA Considering that baseball players rub snake oil on their arms, smear mascara under their eyes and keep pine tar stored on their helmets, it should come as no surprise that they are starting to wear necklaces embedded with titanium.

More common in major league clubhouses than 24-karat gold chains are $23 nylon necklaces, produced in Japan and distributed to athletes looking for the latest edge.

Representatives from Phiten, a company based in Japan that sells the necklaces, say the nylon is coated in a titanium solution that can help improve circulation and reduce muscle stress.

Predictably, baseball players have been among the best customers.

Phiten estimated that the necklaces were worn by 200 major leaguers and that 80 percent of Japanese players had used them. The New York Mets are practically making the necklace part of their uniform. On a given day, manager Willie Randolph, 20 of his players and half the coaching staff look as if they are wearing colored Frisbees around their necks.

"It's so typical," Tom Glavine, a Mets pitcher, said. "You tell a baseball player something will make him feel better, and he'll take it. I tried it when I pitched on Sunday and I lost, so needless to say, I'll never wear it again."

Rick Down, the Mets' hitting coach, models two at a time. Relief pitcher Heath Bell has one for work and another for bed. Billy Wagner, the Phillies' closer, wears one, and so does his son. But even those who swear by the necklace seem stumped by the most critical question: Does it really work?

"I guess I feel a little happier with it," Seattle infielder José Lopez said.

Endy Chavez, a Phillies outfielder, said, "I think I have a little more energy with it."

Mets reliever Roberto Hernández said: "I don't know if it does anything at all. But I'll still wear it."

Bell said: "This is the way I look at the issue: If you think it works, it's going to work. If you don't think it works, it's not going to work. But I'm going to keep wearing it, because next year, there will be something new we'll all have to get."

Randy Johnson, now with the New York Yankees, kicked off the titanium trend four years ago when he learned about Phiten on an all-star tour in Japan. The Boston Red Sox made the necklaces part of their fashion statement during last year's World Series.

"If it worked for them, I figured it might work for me," said Mets first baseman Brian Daubach, who began last season with the Red Sox. "Baseball players will copy anything that had success."

When the Mets arrived in Seattle on Friday, they were greeted by Phiten representatives at their clubhouse door with enough products to weigh down the team plane. Besides the necklaces, which come in 12 colors, matching any team jersey, Phiten has started selling socks, boxers, soaps, shampoos and pillow cases, all incorporating similar technology.

"Everybody has electricity running through their bodies," said Scott McDonald, a Seattle-based sales and marketing representative for Phiten. "This product stabilizes that flow of electricity if you're stressed or tired. Pitchers are seeing that they aren't as sore.

"Injured players are seeing that they recover faster from workouts. People are always skeptical, but when they try it, they become believers."

After Daubach was hit on the knee with a pitch, he put titanium-coated stickers around his bruise and said it reduced the pain. Rick Peterson, the Mets' pitching coach, wears Phiten tights.

But even baseball players have their limits. "They want you to wear it to sleep, and I can't do that," Doug Mientkiewicz, the Mets first baseman, said. "The necklace has already started to smell, and I don't think my wife likes it very much."
    Last edited by Unklescott; 04-24-2007 at 08:52 PM.

+ Reply to Thread