+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Australian Open 2007

Australian Open 2007

James Blake is playing Moya right now. So far the tournament has been really, really hot. It'll be interesting to see if anyone can beat Roger. Maybe Nadal.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

FORT Fogey
    I was hoping that Tiger Woods would have talked Roger into taking on golf during the off season. Oh well ...

I tend to forget each year just how much the Australian Open begins to make me dislike college basketball. Each night, I tune in to ESPN hoping to catch a bit of tennis before I have to go to sleep. For whatever reason, most every night I end up surprised at the fact that basketball does not end at the established time, making way for tennis. Last night, the Texas vs Oklahoma State game was a GREAT basketball game, and I couldn't even appreciate it because I was so frustrated over having to miss tennis!

You need to move to the West Coast Veruka. I got to appreciate the entire triple overtime basketball game and watch some tennis. Serena Williams may have won, but I'm not sure how much farther she can get with all the extra weight she is carrying.

FORT Fogey
    I guess the west coast would be a good solution - except it wouldn't help much for the French and Wimbledon!

Did you hear Mary Carillo talking about Serena on the opening day of the tournament? She acknowledged the hardships that she's encountered, including her sister being killed. But then she compared it to James Blake's story, and pointed out that the two have faced comprable hardships (although I'd say that since Blake broke his neck, he probably gets extra credit in the "hardship" category) It really was an effective, strong but nice way of calling Serena on her talk. It's a shame that the US can't seem to nurture any women anymore who are driven to succeed in the game. Well, at least any women who are drive to succeed in the game and don't feel a great loyalty to their parents home country of Russia.

I missed that, but I've always liked Mary Carillo. That's an interesting comparison. Last night Mary was talking about Serena's mother and how little Serena has played in the last two years. For the French Open and Wimbledon, being on the West Coast does require getting up at the crack of dawn a few times. It's worth it though.

FORT Fogey
    I've always had a love/hate attitude towards Mary Carillo. When she's calling a match, she gets on my last nerve. But I really like the perspective she brings to discussing the game in general. She does a really good job of recognizing strengths, calling players on their BS when they deserve it, and holding their feet to the fire in appreciating how fortunate they are to be doing what they do for a living.

FORT Fogey
    Darren Cahill proved last night that he's worth his weight in gold as a commentator, during the Lleyton Hewitt match. He was able to offer a perspective that few other people could, since he coached Hewitt at one point. And unlike Brad Gilbert has done, he managed to offer that insight without being a self-promoter, or playing some sort of gossip game. He told it like it was, and made it fascinating! I hope he sticks around as a part of ESPN's tennis crew!

Crap I missed that. I look forward to hearing him. I did see Blake breeze through to the third round. He's looking good.

FORT Fogey
    I think they're daytime coverage has been just replaying the live coverage, with the same commentary. If you have a chance to check to see if they show the Hewitt match during the day today, it's definitely worth it. In short, he was talking about how the challenge with Hewitt is that he's the kind of player who has to be fired up and agressive in order to succeed. But when he's fired up and agressive, he's a jerk that no one wants to be around. So while away from tennis he's a really nice, fun guy, it's hard to be around him in the tennis world. It made a lot of sense, and also gave some insight into why he's had the ups and downs in recent years that he's had.

+ Reply to Thread