+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Sports News

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Miscellaneous Sports News

Mods...I thought since we had miscellaneous threads in movies and music that I would make one for sports. This could be for those articles/stories that wouldn't necessarily require an entire thread. If this needs to be moved/deleted, no problem!

http://www.people.com/people/article...005923,00.html

Chris Evert's Ex Wishes Her, Greg Norman 'Happiness'
    WEDNESDAY JANUARY 03, 2007 12:45 PM EST

Since tennis star Chris Evert split from her husband of 18 years, Andy Mill, she's been spotted with golfer Greg Norman, who had been one of Mill's good friends.

And although Evert, 52, and Norman, 51, won't say they're a couple, Mill himself tells PEOPLE in its new issue: "These two people have really meant a lot to me for a long time. At this point I just wish them great happiness."

But his ex-wife's new relationship hasn't been easy for the skiing champ, 53 – at least according to Paul Tejera, a Florida fishing guide and one of Mill's best friends.

Tejara tells PEOPLE that Mill – a world-class fisherman who introduced Norman to Evert – never saw it coming.

"It was like the ultimate betrayal," says Tejera. "To find out she was with Greg Norman was a shock."

Evert, who declined to comment, separated from Mill in October 2006 and was granted custody of their three sons – Alex, 15; Nicky, 12; and Colton, 10 – when the divorce became final in December.

Norman split from his wife of 25 years, Laura, 57, last June (they have two grown children).

For their part, Evert and Norman became business partners recently when she signed on to create tennis academies in his resort developments, and were recently spotted strolling hand-in-hand in Sydney, Australia.

But they're keeping mum on their status. "We're very, very close friends," is all Norman would tell reporters in November. "We'll leave it at that."
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I'm probably the last person expected to ask this since I'm not a big sports person, but is there a Superbowl thread? I didn't see one.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Link Here

Baseball's Mike Piazza Becomes a Dad
    MONDAY FEBRUARY 05, 2007 05:05 PM EST
    By Stephen M. Silverman

Oakland A's catcher Mike Piazza and wife Alicia welcomed their first child, a daughter, on Saturday.

Nicoletta Veronica Piazza was born at 4:07 a.m. in New York City. She weighed in at 5 lbs., 8 oz. and measured 19 inches long.

"Both baby and mother are doing fine," Piazza's rep, Josh Goldberg, said in a statement to PEOPLE.

A onetime star hitter for the New York Mets, Piazza, 38, married the former Alicia Rickter, 34, a Baywatch alum, in a candlelit ceremony in Miami on Jan. 29, 2005.

CONGRATULATONS!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue

http://www.thestar.com/artsentertainment/article/181496

Beyonce to grace Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue

Feb 13, 2007 10:06 PM
    Associated Press

NEW YORK – Another high note for Beyonce – the coveted cover shot of this year's Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue.

The singer and now movie star (Dreamgirls) posed on a Florida beach in a yellow-and-pink bikini by House of Dereon, the fashion label she started with her mother, Tina Knowles. There's also a photo spread inside.

"The Dreamgirl As You've Never Seen Her," a cover headline teases.

The 2007 swimsuit edition continues with a music them inside, featuring scantily-clad models posing with Kanye West, Aerosmith, Kenny Chesney, Gnarls Barkley and Panic! At the Disco for the camera of lensman Steve Erle.

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoFan;2240877;
    http://www.thestar.com/artsentertainment/article/181496

Beyonce to grace Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue

Feb 13, 2007 10:06 PM
    Associated Press

NEW YORK – Another high note for Beyonce – the coveted cover shot of this year's Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue.

The singer and now movie star (Dreamgirls) posed on a Florida beach in a yellow-and-pink bikini by House of Dereon, the fashion label she started with her mother, Tina Knowles. There's also a photo spread inside.

"The Dreamgirl As You've Never Seen Her," a cover headline teases.

The 2007 swimsuit edition continues with a music them inside, featuring scantily-clad models posing with Kanye West, Aerosmith, Kenny Chesney, Gnarls Barkley and Panic! At the Disco for the camera of lensman Steve Erle.
    Beyonce on the cover of S.I's swimsuit issue makes me want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornedbeef;2240902;
    Beyonce on the cover of S.I's swimsuit issue makes me want to.
    I know! I've pretty much over-dosed on her as of late. She's so over-rated!

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoBoFan;2240953;
    I know! I've pretty much over-dosed on her as of late. She's so over-rated!
    Ditto. It's called over-exposure.

Tim Hardaway says he hates 'gay people'

MIAMI (AP) -- Retired Miami Heat guard Tim Hardaway said he hates gay people on a radio show today and that he wouldn't want a gay player on his team.

He said quote "You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people."

Hardaway made the comments while he was a guest on Sports Talk 790 The Ticket.

The discussion was sparked after last week's announcement that retired NBA center John Amaechi is gay.

Hardaway said if he did find out that a teammate was gay, he would ask for the player to be traded or to be bought out of his contract because it would make other players feel uncomfortable in the locker room.

He later apologized for the remarks during a live telephone interview with WSVN Channel 7, saying he was sorry and should have never said anything.

Link

I wonder if he's sorry for saying what he said or if he's sorry he said it publicly.

I read about Tim Hardaway and in a way I thought it was better of him to say it then to say "I'm not homo-phobic BUT..." It seems more honest to me in a way. Of course then he should stick by it and not regret it. And that last statement makes it sound like he's sorry for saying it to the public. (OK, I just want to add that I'm not homo-phobic, people are people, but I do realise that not everyone agrees with me and my views)

I wasn't even aware Tim Hardaway was still playing in the NBA.

The NBA have removed Tim Hardaway from all league related appearances, after the five-time All-Star made derogatory comments about gays.

The former Miami Heat guard, had been part of the NBA's festivities ahead of Sunday's All-Star game in Las Vegas, but an interview he conducted with a Miami radio station has caused outrage in America.

Hardaway was asked how he would react to having a gay team-mate, in response to the recent news that former NBA centre John Amaechi has come out as being gay.

"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people," was Hardaway's response.

"I'm homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

"First of all, I wouldn't want [a gay man] on my team, and second of all, if he was on my team, I would really distance myself from him because I don't think that is right. I don't think he should be in the locker room while we are in the locker room.

"If you have 12 other ballplayers in your locker room who are upset and can't concentrate and are always worried about him in the locker room or on the court or whatever, it's going to be hard for your team-mates to win and accept him as a team-mate."

After the tirade, NBA commissioner David Stern confirmed that they would no longer be using Hardaway to promote the game on-behalf of the Association.

“It is inappropriate for him to be representing us given the disparity between his views and ours," Stern said in a statement to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Hardaway has since apologised for his comments.

“I regret it, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that, that was my mistake," he told a local TV station in Miami.

Meanwhile, Amaechi, whose coming out led to Hardaway being quizzed on the issue, says the comments may actually lead to a more educated debate on the subject.

“Finally, someone who is honest”, he said.

“It is ridiculous, absurd, petty, bigoted, and shows a lack of empathy that is gargantuan and unfathomable, but it is honest, and it illustrates the problem better than any of the fuzzy language other people have used so far.”
    Eurosport

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast