+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Sports News

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Miscellaneous Sports News

Link Here

Baseball Star Alex Rodriguez, Wife Expecting a BabyWEDNESDAY OCTOBER 03, 2007 05:55 PM EDT

New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, 32, and his wife, Cynthia, 34, are expecting a baby next spring, they have revealed exclusively to PEOPLE.

"Cynthia and I are overjoyed to announce this addition to our family," says the athlete. “We realize what a special gift children are, and feel very blessed to welcome our second child."

The two-time American League MVP and his wife of nearly five years already have a daughter, Natasha, 2.

"I feel great!" Cynthia says, adding that they don't yet know the sex of the baby, but will find out as soon as they can. "My daughter wants to know more than we do!"

"We're just real excited," she adds. "It's almost more exciting [than the first child] in a way, because you can anticipate what you already know is so amazing. We're thrilled. We can't wait."
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I guess he and his wife have made up then?

A-ROD'S A YANKEE DOODLE RANDY
    HITS A STRIP JOINT WITH TORONTO BABE
    By DAN MANGAN
    May 30, 2007 -- Yankees superstar Alex Rodriguez stepped up to the plate with a mysterious, busty blonde in Toronto, as these intimate, exclusive photos reveal.

The cozy duo dined with two pals at a pricey steakhouse late Sunday night, then headed to a glitzy strip club before making their way to his hotel, where the pair ducked into an elevator and headed upstairs just after midnight.

Cynthia Rodriguez - A-Rod's wife and mother of their 2 1/2-year-old daughter, Natasha - was nowhere to be seen during the slugger's big night out on the town, which occurred the evening before the last-place Bronx Bombers' pathetic 7-2 loss to the Toronto Blue Jays.

And it came as Rodriguez took a room at Toronto's Four Seasons hotel - down the street from the Park Hyatt, where most, if not all of his Yankee teammates and coaches are staying during a three-game stint that ends tonight.

"No comment," Rodriguez said when The Post asked him about his north-of-the-border jaunt with the blonde.

Yankees spokesman Jason Zillo said A-Rod has "never commented on his personal or private life, and he's not going to start now."

Rodriguez went 0-for-3 last night in the Yanks' 3-2 loss to the Blue Jays.

A-Rod started his busy Sunday in The Bronx, where the Yankees dropped a third straight game to the Los Angeles Angels.

The powerhouse third baseman then flew to Toronto, where he checked into the Four Seasons in the city's posh Yorkville section.

After settling in, the 31-year-old A-Rod, the mystery blonde and two men left the Four Seasons in a taxi shortly after 8:30 p.m., and headed to dinner at Harbour Sixty Steakhouse, a ritzy restaurant located about two miles away near the city's harbor and the Rogers Centre, where the Blue Jays play.

Rodriguez, who was wearing his wedding band, was casually dressed in jeans and a white, short-sleeved T-shirt featuring a large fleur-de-lis on its left arm. His tight-bodied, bleach-blonde gal pal was clad in a snug pair of blue jeans, a shiny, light T-shirt and wedge-heeled shoes.

A witness told The Post that Rodriguez and his three companions spent about two hours dining at Harbour Sixty.

Rodriguez and the blonde, and possibly the two other men, then were driven in one of Harbour Sixty's cars two miles to the Brass Rail, a flashy strip club located on Yonge Street.

The witness saw A-Rod and the woman go into the Brass Rail just after 11 p.m.

Home to what one Web site calls, "Toronto's most beautiful all-nude dancers," the Brass Rail is known for its booming sound system, overflowing crowds, overpriced beers and $20 lap dances - a drop in the bucket for Rodriguez, who has a 10-year contract worth $252 million.

Rodriguez and the blonde spent an hour or so at the Brass Rail, the witness said.

When they walked out of there, A-Rod and the woman were alone.

They then got a cab back to the Four Seasons. Their cab pulled up to the hotel minutes after midnight.

A-Rod then strode into the hotel behind her. He rubbed his nose as if to obscure his face to other people as he joined her at the elevator bank.

As the doors to an elevator opened, he and the blonde got in together, the witness said.

The doors then closed, and they disappeared upstairs.
    Alex Rodriguez walks into the Four Seasons hotel in Toronto with a woman not his wife before getting on an elevator together.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2598492;
    I guess he and his wife have made up then?

Alex Rodriguez walks into the Four Seasons hotel in Toronto with a woman not his wife before getting on an elevator together.
    What scum he is......a baby will not change that. Arrogant on and off the field.

I don't know if anyone else but me is watching, but England beat France in World Cup Rugby today, and Argentina and South Africa play tomorrow. It is a big deal around these parts!! I hope Argentina wins since it would be a first for them to get into the finals.

Former Dallas RB Springs falls into coma

Ron Springs has been through hell. I hope he comes through this.
    Former Dallas RB Springs falls into coma - Yahoo! News
    By PAUL J. WEBER, Associated Press Writer 58 minutes ago

DALLAS - Former Dallas Cowboys running back Ron Springs has been hospitalized in a coma, more than seven months after receiving a kidney donated by ex-teammate Everson Walls. The Washington Redskins said Tuesday that cornerback Shawn Springs, son of the 50-year-old Springs, has left the team to be with his father.

"(Shawn) has flown down there — it's a very tough time for them because I think it's very, very serious," Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said.

It wasn't immediately clear what caused Ron Springs, who has diabetes, to lapse into a coma or when he was hospitalized. Calls to the family weren't returned.

Dallas-Fort Worth television station KTVT first reported Springs' condition.

In February, Walls donated his kidney to the ailing Springs, who had suffered from diabetes for 16 years and had been on the national transplant waiting list since 2004. It was the first transplant between two former U.S. professional athletes.

The disease confined Springs to a wheelchair and led to the amputation of his right foot and the big and middle toes on his left foot.

In an August interview with The Associated Press, Springs said he could feel his health improving each day since the transplant.

"I'm feeling very good," he said at the time. "Every day I get a little bit better."

Springs played eight seasons in the NFL, six with the Cowboys and two in Tampa Bay, before retiring after the 1986 season. He was drafted in the fifth round by the Cowboys out of Ohio State.

In the four seasons Springs and Walls played together in Dallas, the two forged a strong friendship. Springs is the godfather of Walls' oldest daughter, and Walls received the same honor for Springs' youngest.

This summer, Ron and Shawn Springs visited several cities in a campaign to increase awareness of diabetes.

Link Here

Redskins' Taylor Remains in Critical Condition After Shooting

By Erik Matuszewski and Aaron Kuriloff

Nov. 27 (Bloomberg) -- Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor remains in critical condition at a Florida hospital after a shooting yesterday at his Florida home.

Taylor suffered a gunshot wound to the leg in a possible robbery at his home in Palmetto Bay, Florida, just before 2 a.m. yesterday, Miami-Dade Police said. He was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center, where he underwent seven hours of surgery, the National Football League team said.

Taylor, 24, lost an extensive amount of blood when his femoral artery was pierced by the gunshot, leaving him unconscious and leading doctors to initially fear possible brain injury or death, the Washington Post said. Vinny Cerrato, the Redskins' vice president of football operations, said last night that Taylor showed some improvement.

``He was responsive to the doctor's request to squeeze his hand and show facial expressions,'' Cerrato said in a statement on the team's Web site. ``The doctors were very happy about that. It's positive news. The doctors came in and told us, and they were excited about that.''

Details of the shooting weren't available, said Detective Mario Rachid, a Miami-Dade Police spokesman, and the gunman is still on the loose.

Taylor's lawyer, Richard Sharpstein, told the Miami Herald that the Pro Bowl player was shot after confronting burglars. Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said Taylor missed a team meeting after an attempted break-in at his house on Nov. 18. The fifth overall pick in the 2004 National Football League draft, Taylor didn't travel to Tampa Bay for the Redskins' Nov. 25 game because of a knee injury that kept him out the past two weeks.

``Your heart breaks,'' Gibbs said in a televised news conference yesterday. ``The tragic way this took place takes your breath away.''

Taylor, a Miami native who played college football at the University of Miami, has a team-leading five interceptions for the Redskins this season. In four seasons with Washington, he's totaled 12 interceptions.

According to the Washington Post, Taylor and his fiance were awakened early yesterday by noises in the home they share. Taylor grabbed a machete he keeps under his bed for emergencies and went to investigate when an armed intruder burst in the bedroom door and fired two shots, one of which hit the inside of his leg, the paper said.

Cerrato told the Washington Post that Taylor's fiance found the house's phone line was cut when she attempted to call police. She had to use her mobile phone to contact emergency personnel, the paper said. ``This was a deliberate attack,'' Cerrato told the Post without elaborating.

Taylor's lawyer told the Miami Herald that nothing was stolen from the house and that the couple's 18-month-old daughter was in the bedroom and slept through the incident.

Taylor was voted to the Pro Bowl in 2006 after leading the Redskins in tackles with 129.

In August 2006, the NFL fined Taylor four game checks -- a total of about $72,000 -- after he allegedly pointed a gun at a person during a confrontation over a stolen vehicle in Miami. He pleaded no contest to two misdemeanor charges in the case and was sentenced to 18 months probation.

In January 2006, the NFL fined Taylor $17,000 for spitting in the face of Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman during a playoff game.

Redskins running back Clinton Portis, who played with Taylor at the University of Miami, said at a news conference that the team was struggling to deal with the shooting.

``All we can think about is if he had been with us on the flight to Tampa, if he was at the game with us, then he would not have been in that situation,'' said Portis, whose locker is adjacent to Taylor's at Redskins Park.

I'm sorry to say that he has died from his injuries.....

Link Here

Redskins' Taylor Dies Day After Shooting

MIAMI (AP) - Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor died early Tuesday, a day after he was shot at home by what police say was an intruder. He was 24. Family friend Richard Sharpstein said Taylor's father told him the news around 5:30 a.m.

"His father called and said he was with Christ and he cried and thanked me," said Sharpstein, Taylor's former lawyer. "It's a tremendously sad and unnecessary event. He was a wonderful, humble, talented young man, and had a huge life in front of him. Obviously God had other plans."

He said Taylor died early Tuesday at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, where he had been airlifted after the shooting early Monday.

Doctors had been encouraged late Monday when Taylor squeezed a nurse's hand, according to Vinny Cerrato, the Redskins' vice president of football operations. But Sharpstein said he was told Taylor never regained consciousness after being transported to the hospital and that he wasn't sure how he had squeezed the nurse's hand.

"Maybe he was trying to say goodbye or something," Sharpstein said.

Taylor was shot early Monday in the upper leg, damaging an artery and causing significant blood loss.

"According to a preliminary investigation, it appears that the victim was shot inside the home by an intruder," Miami-Dade County police said in a statement.

But police were still investigating the attack, which came just eight days after an intruder was reported at Taylor's home. Officers were dispatched about 1:45 a.m. Monday after Taylor's girlfriend called 911.

Sharpstein said Taylor's girlfriend told him the couple was awakened by loud noises, and Taylor grabbed a machete he keeps in the bedroom for protection. Someone then broke through the bedroom door and fired two shots, one missing and one hitting Taylor, Sharpstein said. Taylor's 1-year-old daughter, Jackie, was also in the house, but neither she nor Taylor's girlfriend were injured.

Police found signs of forced entry, but have not determined if they were caused Monday, or the previous burglary.

The shooting happened in the pale yellow house he bought two years ago in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay. Eight days before the attack someone pried open a front window, rifled through drawers and left a kitchen knife on a bed at Taylor's home, according to police.

"They're really sifting through that incident and today's incident," Miami-Dade Detective Mario Rachid said, "to see if there's any correlation."

Born April 1, 1983, Taylor starred as a running back and defensive back at Gulliver Preparatory School in Miami. His father, Pedro Taylor, is police chief of Florida City.

A private man with a small inner circle, Taylor rarely granted interviews. But, behind the scenes, Taylor was described as personable and smart - an emerging locker room leader.

Especially since the birth of his daughter.

"From the first day I met him, from then to now, it's just like night and day," Redskins receiver James Thrash said. "He's really got his head on his shoulders and has been doing really well as far as just being a man. It's been awesome to see that growth."

An All-American at the University of Miami, Taylor was drafted by the Redskins as the fifth overall selection in 2004. Coach Joe Gibbs called it "one of the most researched things" he'd ever done, but the problems soon began. Taylor fired his agent, then skipped part of the NFL's mandatory rookie symposium, drawing a $25,000 fine. Driving home late from a party during the season, he was pulled over and charged with drunken driving. The case was dismissed in court, but by then it had become a months-long distraction for the team.

Taylor also was fined at least seven times for late hits, uniform violations and other infractions over his first three seasons, including a $17,000 penalty for spitting in the face of Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman during a playoff game in January 2006.

Meanwhile, Taylor endured a yearlong legal battle after he was accused in 2005 of brandishing a gun at a man during a fight over allegedly stolen all-terrain vehicles near Taylor's home. He eventually pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors and was sentenced to 18 months' probation.

Taylor said the end of the assault case was like "a gray cloud" being lifted. It was also around the time that Jackie was born, and teammates noticed a change.

"It's hard to expect a man to grow up overnight," said Redskins teammate and close friend Clinton Portis, who also played with Taylor at the University of Miami. "But ever since he had his child, it was like a new Sean, and everybody around here knew it. He was always smiling, always happy, always talking about his child."

On the field, Taylor's play was often erratic. Assistant coach Gregg Williams frequently called Taylor the best athlete he'd ever coached, but nearly every big play was mitigated by a blown assignment. Taylor led the NFL in missed tackles in 2006 yet made the Pro Bowl because of his reputation as one of the hardest hitters in the league.

This year, however, Taylor was allowed to play a true free safety position, using his speed and power to chase down passes and crush would-be receivers. His five interceptions tie for the league lead in the NFC, even though he missed the last two games because of a sprained knee.

"I just take this job very seriously," Taylor said in a rare group interview during training camp. "It's almost like, you play a kid's game for a king's ransom. And if you don't take it serious enough, eventually one day you're going to say, 'Oh, I could have done this, I could have done that.'

"So I just say, 'I'm healthy right now, I'm going into my fourth year, and why not do the best that I can?' And that's whatever it is, whether it's eating right or training myself right, whether it's studying harder, whatever I can do to better myself."

His hard work was well-noted.

"He loved football. He felt like that's what he was made to do," Gibbs said. "And I think what I've noticed over the last year and a half ... is he matured. I think his baby had a huge impact on him. There was a real growing up in his life."

Buckeyes Legend Bill Willis Dead at 86

He was just honored at a Buckeye game this year when they retired his number 99. I'm glad he was able to be there. RIP Bill.
    The Associated Press: Buckeyes Legend Bill Willis Dead at 86

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Bill Willis, a Hall of Fame guard with the NFL's Cleveland Browns who also was Ohio State's first black football All-American, died Tuesday evening, a university spokesman said. He was 86.

Willis had been battling a short illness, said school spokesman Steve Snapp, who was notified of the death by one of Willis' sons. No other details were released.

Willis, an All-American in 1943 and 1944, had his No. 99 jersey retired at halftime of the Wisconsin-Ohio State game on Nov. 3 at Ohio Stadium.

He had a distinguished career with the Browns (1946-53), helping to break the color barrier in professional football. Willis was inducted into both the college and pro football Halls of Fame.

Willis played both offense and defense for the Browns but won acclaim as a middle guard. He made a touchdown-saving tackle in a playoff game against the New York Giants that allowed the Browns to advance and eventually win the 1950 championship game in their first year in the NFL.

With the Buckeyes, Willis was a devastating blocker on offense and a punishing, relentless tackler on defense. The Columbus native was a key part of the Buckeyes' 1942 national championship squad.

After retiring from a career as director of the Ohio Youth Commission, Willis continued to live in the Columbus area.

I read that he was also the prototype for the first middle linebackers
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Leo
    Premium Member

Interesting story out of Beijing...

China Will Impose Its Will On You, Whether You Like It Or Not | Olympics

China Will Impose Its Will On You, Whether You Like It Or Not
    by 100%InjuryRate 100%InjuryRate | 14 hrs ago 7 Comments »

Freedom of speech is an interesting little notion we have here in the Western world. Basically, you have the right to express your beliefs, regardless of how bizarre they are.

But China don't roll like that, son. And now they're starting to impose their will on other countries.

It's just been revealed that British Olympic officials are going to force their athletes to sign a contract in which they agree not to speak out about China's less-than-awesome human rights record – otherwise the athletes face being banned from travelling to Beijing.

The controversial clause has been inserted into athletes' contracts and forbids them from making any political comment about countries staging the Olympic Games - you know, just in case some athlete is really mad about the over-hunting of raccoons in Vancouver. The clause is contained in a 32-page document that will be presented to all those who reach the qualifying standard and are chosen for the team.

From the moment they sign up, the athletes – likely to include the Queen's granddaughter Zara Phillips – will effectively be gagged from commenting on China's politics, human rights abuses or occupation of Tibet.

Interestingly, the UK isn't even the first country to sign up for this bizarre plan. New Zealand and Belgium have also banned their athletes from giving political opinions while competing at the Games.

So let's see, with only six months to go until the Olympics, we have the Chinese shooting missiles into the sky to stop rain, toilets popping up from out of the ground, forced cheering, and now this.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say this Olympics has an awful lot in common with the 1936 Nazi Olympics. Just with a lot less missile launching.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast