+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Sports News

Re: Miscellaneous Sports News

What do you do when you run with the bull, do you win something?

Interesting.... wonder what "shady with his cash" truly means? Shaunie socking away millions in a private account for a rainy day fund???

Shaq files for Divorce

Look out ladies (seriously, get out of his way), Big Shaq Diesel is going back on the market.

In divorce papers filed Tuesday in a Miami court, Shaquille O'Neal claimed his marriage to wife Shaunie has been "irretrievably broken," and accuses her of being shady with his cash, reports the Miami Herald.

The couple, who have four kids together and each have a child from a previous relationship, tied the knot in a ridiculously lavish Beverly Hills ceremony in 2002. Shaq, who is currently in a contract with the Miami Heat worth a cool $100 mil, claims that his wife has been "secretive about her assets," and he has asked the court to order a full investigation into every penny she came into during their union.
    The Big Daddy also notes that he made Shaunie sign a pre-nup -- which he's asking the court to keep private. As for custody, the jet-setting basketballer requested that the kids live with Shaunie, and that he receive "liberal rights of visitation."
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Awww, I'm sad about Shaq and Shaunie breaking up.
    Although very attractive, she seemed far removed from the air-headed, trophy wives pro sportsmen tend to marry.
    What a shame
    "That's Numberwang!"

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Link Here

Alyssa Milano Scores MLB Reporting Gig
    THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 13, 2007 09:00 AM EDT

They say diamonds are a girl's best friend and that's certainly true for actress and baseball fanatic Alyssa Milano, who will serve as a post-season correspondent on MLB.com.

The 34-year-old actress tells PEOPLE the deal on major league baseball's new broadband channel, TBS Hot Corner, which was announced Thursday, is "literally a dream job come true!"

A lifelong baseball fan and Los Angeles Dodgers season ticket holder, Milano says she "hopes to give fans an insider's perspective" while covering post-season action for both the National and American leagues. Milano will interview players and coaches as well as do lifestyle segments. And she won't just be a pretty face on the screen.

"I'm such a fan and I know our starting rotation so well that within our division I pretty much know what pitches the pitchers are going to throw to what batters," says Milano, a self-confessed stats geek who is on the internet "about twelve times a day" to get the latest on her favorite sport. Milano also writes the Touch 'Em All blog on MLB.com.

The new gig comes on the heels of a successful launch of Milano's Touch clothing line, which features fashions for baseball's female fans and is sold in stadiums and on MLB.com.

Meanwhile, fans of the Who's the Boss? and Charmed star need not worry – Milano hasn't given up her day job. She will appear in several episodes of My Name Is Earl beginning in October, as well as in the film Pathology, which is slated for a November release.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Question for the mods...

I just found out that an ex middle school student of my daughter's is up for the Sports Illustrated "Kids" athlete of the year award...

May I post the url and make a pitch to get him some votes? It may only be a poll with nothing much to do with who they choose, but I wanted to ask before I jumped in...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

My Daughter's ex student is Paul K. The last bio. The voting will "help" determine which of the 6 finalists be will be named the 2007 Youth athlete of the year, and grace the cover of SI Kids magazine... To vote, for any of them, click the link... (Though hopefully you will vote for the Texas boy Paul K... )

SIKids.com - Youth Athlete of the Year Voting - Wednesday September 26, 2007 10:46AM

You decide which youth athlete will appear on the cover of SI Kids

Vote for the person you feel is most deserving of being the SI Kids' Youth Athlete of the Year

Tony B., 9
    Football-Baseball

Tony was born with only one full-sized, functioning hand, but he hasn't let that hold him back. He was the only 9-year-old all-star from his baseball team. In 17 games, Tony hit .308 with eight RBIs. He stole home four times and finished the season with 16 stolen bases. Tony's lone home run was a 253-foot blast that landed in the dugout of the next field. In the field, Tony played every position, despite having to throw and catch the ball with the same hand. In football, Tony has scored four touchdowns so far this season, including a punt return for a score. When he isn't playing sports, Tony tutors a fellow student after school every day.

Tommi O., 8
    Wrestling

Don't let the name fool you. Tommi is an eight-year-old girl who competes against boys in wrestling. In 2007, she went 43-0 and all her wins were by pin or technical fall. Tommi was the 2007 Wyoming state champion in folk style and Greco-Roman style wrestling in her 45-pound weight class. She placed third at the Cliff Keen Tulsa National Kickoff Classic and second at the Cliff Keen Reno National Tournament. She won the folk style title at the AAU Grand Nationals and finished second in Greco-Roman and freestyle. Tommi's record in national competitions is 17-4. Tommi puts the same energy into her schoolwork as she does into wrestling, regularly finishing in the top grading category, and volunteering to help kids in her class with their school work.

Brock H., 10
    BMX

Brock is the 2007 UCI world champion in the 10-year-old division and is currently the points leader in the race for the American Bicycle Association 2007 Cruiser Amateur Champion of the Year. Brock is a multi-sport athlete who led his NFL Flag Football team to the semifinals. He also led his baseball team in slugging percentage and helped them advance to the league championship game. In addition to his on-the-field accomplishments, Brock is a straight-A student, a classroom representative in the student council, and a volunteer in the school cafeteria.

Andrea K., 14
    Swimming

At age 13, Andrea made her first Olympic trial time in the 200-meter breast stroke. At age 14, she made the Olympic time trial in the 200-meter individual medley. Andrea is on the national junior team and will represent the U.S. in the Junior Pan Pacific Games in Melbourne, Australia, in January 2008. Andrea skipped kindergarten and is a high school sophomore at age 14 and has received the highest award for outstanding performance on the national Latin examination. She also gives swimming lessons for community service during the summer.

Grayden S., 9
    Hockey

In 63 games, Grayden scored a team-high 181 goals and had 115 assists as his team won its second consecutive provincial hockey title for the west region of Ontario, Canada. He was the MVP of the Silver Stick Regional Final tournament and the top scorer in the Welland Little NHL tournament. Grayden also won four cross country races last year and is the Number 2 triathlete in the 8- and 9-year-old division in Ontario. In addition to sports, Grayden plays the piano and had the best grades in his third grade class.

Paul K., 14
    Track & Field

Paul began running track two years ago. In his first season, he finished fourth in the 100-meter hurdles at the USA Track & Field Junior Olympics. Last season, he continued his dominance in the hurdles at the Junior Olympics. Paul won both the 100- and 200-meter hurdles and was a member of the bronze medal-winning 4x400-meter relay team. He is currently ranked Number 1 in the nation in both hurdle events according to the National Elite Youth Ranking System and is the starting quarterback on his school's freshmen football team. Paul, a member fo the junior national honor society, also sings in his school's concert choir and was judged the Number 2 bass singer out of 100 contestants in a solo competition.
    Last edited by PK...; 09-28-2007 at 10:16 AM.

WOW PK...all of those kids sound amazing.....I'm 41 and reading all of that I feel like such an underachiever.....

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2591786;
    WOW PK...all of those kids sound amazing.....I'm 41 and reading all of that I feel like such an underachiever.....
    Hah... And I am nearing 67... Think how I feel...

It's really amazing what the kids are doing now days... Daughter is lucky in that she gets to teach a couple of advanced classes in a fairly large school... Her goal is to move up to high school in a year or two...

My claim to fame was to go to AllState my JR. year in HS... I don't even know if that is still something that is done... It sent junior HS girls to a "camp" that participated in a "kid nation" kind of situation but at the state governmental level... We all met our real contemporaries at the state level...

It was "cool"... (Apparently it is no longer happening - or I have not remembered the name correctly... )

ETA... Hahah... And yes my rememember is broken... I was referencing "Girl's State"....

;0))
    Last edited by PK...; 09-29-2007 at 08:52 PM.

Link Here

Ice Skaters Jaime Salé & David Pelletier Have a Son
    MONDAY OCTOBER 01, 2007 06:30 PM EDT

Olympic champion pairs skaters Jaime Salé and David Pelletier welcomed their first child on Sunday.

Their son, Jesse, weighed 7 lbs., and measured 19 inches. He was delivered at Sturgeon Community Hospital and Health Centre in St. Albert, Alberta, Canada.

"Jaime and I are thrilled and we're very excited about parenthood," Pelletier said in a statement. "Jamie was terrific through labor and birth and we'll be going home [Monday]".

Canadians Salé and Pelletier began skating together in 1998 and started dating a year later. They got married on Dec. 30, 2005 in Alberta, three years after winning a gold medal at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics.

In 2002, the Canadian team was awarded a gold medal after it was discovered their second place finish was the result of vote-rigging, leading to an upheaval in the sport and a host of rule-changes designed to prevent a similar scandal.

The couple continues to perform, and are scheduled to appear in Smucker's Stars on Ice tour in the U.S. and Canada this spring.

One less living legend in the world

Al Oerter
    Few athletes have owned and defined their sport at an Olympic level the way Al Oerter did with the discus.

Even fewer did it as many times.

Oerter, a four-time Olympic gold medalist and a part of the Kansas track and field program’s “golden age,” died Monday of heart failure. Oerter, who lived in Fort Myers Beach, Fla., turned 71 last month and had dealt with high blood pressure and heart troubles for many years.

Only Oerter and Carl Lewis, in the long jump, won the same track and field event in four consecutive Olympics. Oerter did Lewis one better, however, in setting Olympic records all four times.

Interestingly, though, Oerter really was never considered the “favorite” going into any of his Olympic competitions. First it was because, at age 20, he was considered too young. Then he had to make some critical technical adjustments the next time. His third trip, he was battling painful injuries. And, finally, he was thought to be too “old.”

Yet each time Oerter went to the Games, he came out on top.

“Al Oerter is one of the greatest Olympic athletes of all time,” said USA Track and Field CEO Craig A. Masback in a statement. “What made him even more special was his excellence off the track, in pursuits ranging from community outreach to art. The track world has lost a legend, a Hall of Famer, and a true gentleman.”

Oerter was a native of Astoria, N.Y., and his discus success as a Long Island high school athlete led to a move to the Midwest as he earned a track scholarship at KU. There, he competed for coach Bill Easton. By the time Oerter’s KU career concluded in 1958, he had won two NCAA titles and seven conference championships.

Former KU track coach Bob Timmons, who took over the Jayhawks after Oerter had graduated, said his legacy of success permeated through the program.

“We benefited from Al’s achievements in many wonderful ways,” Timmons said.

During Oerter’s Jayhawk days, he made the U.S. team for the 1956 Games in Melbourne, Australia. He was not favored there, but he threw 184 feet, 11 inches for his first gold medal.

The next year, however, Oerter was almost killed in a car accident in which he was thrown through the windshield. He recovered and won another gold at the 1960 Rome Games.

Oerter competed in an era of strict amateurism rules for Olympic eligibility, which meant it was rather uncommon for an athlete to compete in the Games multiple times. Yet Oerter’s love for the discus kept him competitive in the sport far longer than might have been expected. His size at 6 feet 4 and perfectionist personality meant he brought both strength and obsessive dedication to technique to the sport.

In 1964 at the Tokyo Games, Oerter overcame a neck injury and torn rib cartilage — both of which caused him extreme pain while throwing — to prevail as Olympic champion a third time. By 1968, Oerter was considered an “old man” in track and field, and he entered the Mexico City Games as a distinct underdog.

But once again, he starred on the Olympic stage, getting his final gold medal. He then retired, but he came back to compete again in 1980, attempting to qualify for the Moscow Games that the United States would end up boycotting. He finished fourth at the U.S. trials, which would have put him in the alternate spot had the American team competed in Russia.

In recent years, art had become Oerter’s primary passion, as he became an abstract painter. That included a series of works using a discus dipped in paint and thrown at a canvas. Several of his paintings are for sale at his Web site, aloerter.com.

Last year, Oerter went back home to the Big Apple to be saluted by the New York Athletic Club, which he had represented in competitions as a teen. In ceremonies there, he was called “an Olympian’s Olympian.”

A fitting title for a man who always found his best at the world’s biggest sporting event.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oerter’s winning Olympic throws

Year Distance
    1956 184 feet, 11 inches
    1960 194-2
    1964 200-1
    1968 212-6
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast