+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Indian athlete fails gender test

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

Indian athlete fails gender test

A top Indian woman athlete who won a silver medal at a recent regional championship has failed a gender test, officials say.

Santhi Soundararajan, who took the silver in the women's 800m race at the Asian Games in Doha, is likely to be stripped of her award, reports say.

Soundararajan, 25, was declared the best athlete at an Indian championship in the capital, Delhi, this year.

In 1999, a woman in an Indian state football team failed a gender test.

Not mandatory

"Santhi was subjected to a gender test in Doha and we have received the report which says she failed the test," said Manmohan Singh, chairman of the Indian Olympic Association's Medical Commission.

Soundararajan is refusing to comment. "I was not informed about the test results and I don't know much on that. I do not want to talk about it," she told journalists.

The test is not mandatory, but carried out if officials want it or a rival team protests, reports say.

KP Mohan, a sports journalist, said athletes are usually examined by a team of doctors, including a gynaecologist, endocrinologist and psychologist, and put through physical and clinical examinations during a gender test.

The test was done soon after Soundararajan came second in the women's 800m race on 9 December.

Reports say the athlete cleared the gender test at the Asian track and field championship in South Korea last year where she won the silver medal in the 800m.

It is not clear how she failed the test at the Asian Games in Doha.

This the second controversy to hit Indian athletes within a month - female shot putter Seema Antil was withdrawn from the Asian Games she failed a pre-competition dope test.
    BBC News

The more I read this, the more confusing it gets.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    She failed a gender test????????????????? How embarrassing....

Shows how naive I am but I didn't even realize they had a need for such a thing in sports
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Leo
    Premium Member
    Well, it's rare, but I've heard it before. There was a similar case in the Philippines in the mid-90s, and that one was never really solved conclusively. Either it's just some strange quirk of biology (which it probably is here), or it could be downright cheating. I remember one dragonboat race in China were the "women's" team turned out all to be men. Of course, the Adam's apples and beards made it sort of obvious.

There was a "woman" that won a medal at the olympics. They did an autopsy and found out that she was in fact a he.

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    OMG, that is so funny. The line in the article that cracks me up is
    The test was done soon after Soundararajan came second in the women's 800m race on 9 December.

Reports say the athlete cleared the gender test at the Asian track and field championship in South Korea last year where she won the silver medal in the 800m.
    Which means this "woman" has been tested at least twice. How weird is that.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornedbeef;2181497;
    There was a "woman" that won a medal at the olympics. They did an autopsy and found out that she was in fact a he.

Did they kill her right after the event, or did they wait for her to die naturally?

Dagny!

Many German women athletes took male hormones in order to gain muscle and excel. Although, in those days, I think testing was minimal.

If a man started taking female hormones, as if he were going to have a sex change operation, his adams apple would disappear, so would hair growth, and his voice would change. He would even grow breasts. However, there, um, remains to be a part of the anatomy in question that obviously was not present at the time of the two physical examinations. So, maybe it was a male who had complete gender surgery and now considers herself female. And therefore would be entitled to compete in a women's race.

This is very interesting. What if it were the opposite? Where a woman did male hormone replacement therapy to become a man, as well as full surgery, and then competed in a men's race.

It actually seems fair if they have had total sex change operations. If they are living as the opposite gender in all ways then they should be considered that gender.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread