+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR News 2007

Re: NASCAR News 2007

It's official. Jr. is going to Hendrick and Kyle Busch is leaving Hendrick. Nothing has been finalized as far as car number or sponsors. Jr has signed a 5 year contract with HMS.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 06-13-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Once again, I was very pleased with how Jr. handled himself during the hour long press conference. Here's a little more detail for those who haven't had a chance to see it, yet:

ESPN - Dale Earnhardt Jr. will drive for Hendrick in '08 - Nascar

MOORESVILLE, N.C. -- Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s rock-star image doesn't fit the corporate white shirt-and-black-pants look that is synonymous with Hendrick Motorsports, but the organization's reputation for winning titles fits his.

NASCAR's most popular driver announced on Wednesday that he is joining the sport's most dominant organization in 2008. Earnhardt will replace Kyle Busch, who has agreed to a release from his contract with Hendrick.

"It became apparent to me the man I wanted to drive for," Earnhardt said at a news conference. "He competes with integrity and most importantly, he wins races."

Busch, who had one year left on his contract, had been in the process of negotiating an extension with HMS. In a statement, Busch said both sides had "mutually agreed that a fresh start was in order" and worked out a release after the 2007 season.

"I kind of feel like I'm graduating," Busch said. "I'm excited about my future, and I know a lot of opportunities await because of what everyone at Hendrick did for me -- on the track and off," Busch said.

HMS owner Rick Hendrick joined Earnhardt for the news conference at JR Motorsports, where Earnhardt announced last month this would be his last season at Dale Earnhardt Inc.

Earnhardt said at the time of that decision he wanted to seek an organization that would help him win a championship.

He chose an organization that has won six since Jeff Gordon captured the first of his four titles in 1995 and Jimmie Johnson walked away with the 2006 championship. He chose an organization that has won 10 of 14 races this season, including last week's rain-shortened victory by points leader Gordon at Pocono.

"When you have a big team like we do, and four winning teams like we do, I think we've had that challenge: Are there too many successful drivers in one place? I think we've already proven, if there is a team that can deal with that, Hendrick Motorsports is one of them," Johnson said Wednesday.

"I think we'll all be helpful to one another, crossing over to different fan bases. ... Junior will learn from Jeff, and we'll learn from Junior."

Earnhardt Jr. and Gordon as teammates will be an interesting mix. Although the two get along, Gordon has been the driver most Earnhardt fans love to hate going back to his rivalry with the late Dale Earnhardt.

"We do have a personal competition. If you want to call it a rivalry, fine," Earnhardt said of his relationship with Gordon. "He's fun to race with, and especially if you beat him, it's a good feeling. ... We can both challenge each other to be better race car drivers."

Where Busch lands becomes the most pressing question. There has been speculation that he may move to Ginn Racing, which is supported by HMS. DEI officials have said they would be interested in the 22-year-old star if he is released from his contract.

"Although we haven't had conversations with Kyle Busch, if speculation is correct that he may become available he's certainly somebody we'd be interested in talking with," DEI president Max Siegel said on Tuesday.

It is not known what number Earnhardt will drive, or whether sponsor Budweiser -- since starting in NASCAR, Earnhardt has driven the No. 8 Budweiser Chevrolet -- will follow him to Hendrick.

Budweiser officials are expected to release a statement Wednesday saying the company wishes Earnhardt well and that it will begin exploring its relationship with Earnhardt after the announcement. Hendrick Motorsports does have a history with Budweiser as a sponsor in the 1990s with Ricky Craven and Wally Dallenbach Jr.

David Newton covers Nextel Cup racing for ESPN.com.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

I'm a Kyle Bush fan. Hope he finds a team next year I'd hate to see him parking cars at Wolfgang Pucks.
    Ribbitt

Quote Originally Posted by Toad;2439924;
    I'm a Kyle Bush fan. Hope he finds a team next year I'd hate to see him parking cars at Wolfgang Pucks.
    He would just wreck the other patron's cars if he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad;2439924;
    I seriously doubt he is going to have any trouble finding a ride. Despite his fit-throwing, he is a good racecar driver. I am not a big HMS fan (mostly b/c Jimmie Johnson grates on my nerves), but I usually pull for Kyle Busch more than the other three drivers.

I think HMS was a good move for Jr. I hope Gordon and he can handle sharing the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcook77;2440642;
    I seriously doubt he is going to have any trouble finding a ride. Despite his fit-throwing, he is a good racecar driver. I am not a big HMS fan (mostly b/c Jimmie Johnson grates on my nerves), but I usually pull for Kyle Busch more than the other three drivers.

I think HMS was a good move for Jr. I hope Gordon and he can handle sharing the spotlight.
    Jeff & Junior are great friends. When all of the little E fans can live with that, then all will be Golden!
    I have a hard time thinking that scenario will pan out.

Here's the BOTTOM LINE!

Jeff Gordon fans have NO problem with Jr. (I for one, I'm HAPPY for him!)

The Junior Camp has the problem with Gordon! All I can do is giggle, hope they overcome their jealously, know that there is no way in Hell they can "CATCH UP" with Jeff, just respect him, look up to him & let him help!

It's all good, but Junior's Fans truly need to get off the hate train!

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoFan;2441318;
    Jeff & Junior are great friends. When all of the little E fans can live with that, then all will be Golden!
    I have a hard time thinking that scenario will pan out.

Here's the BOTTOM LINE!

Jeff Gordon fans have NO problem with Jr. (I for one, I'm HAPPY for him!)

The Junior Camp has the problem with Gordon! All I can do is giggle, hope they overcome their jealously, know that there is no way in Hell they can "CATCH UP" with Jeff, just respect him, look up to him & let him help!

It's all good, but Junior's Fans truly need to get off the hate train!
    I don't think it is just the Jr. fans on the hate train. And, for the record, I am not a Jr. fan! And, it is not just the fans I worry about when it comes to this whole venture being a success. RH has recruited himself the "dream team of Nascar" (less Casey Mears) with three of the biggest egos in the sport (only to be surpassed by Stewart, perhaps!).

I hope it works out for him, b/c I have a tremendous amount of respect for Rick Hendricks and what he has done.

Jeff Gordon and wife have baby girl

Jeff Gordon and wife have baby girl - NASCAR - Yahoo! Sports
    June 20, 2007

NEW YORK, N.Y. (AP) -- Jeff Gordon won't have to miss a race for the birth of his daughter.

NASCAR's four-time champion became a father Wednesday when his wife, model Ingrid Vandebosch, gave birth to a girl. Gordon announced on his Web site that Ella Sofia Gordon was born Wednesday morning.

"It's been an absolutely incredible experience,'' Gordon said. "Ingrid came through amazingly and we're both really happy and overjoyed. We can't wait to get home and start our lives together as a family.''

Gordon asked Mark Martin to be on standby this weekend in case he had to leave the race in Sonoma, Calif., to return for the birth. He said he'll travel to California later this week and participate in all on-track activities at Infineon Raceway.

Gordon's baby was born two days after Tiger Woods' daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2438948;
    It's official. Jr. is going to Hendrick and Kyle Busch is leaving Hendrick. Nothing has been finalized as far as car number or sponsors. Jr has signed a 5 year contract with HMS.
    "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!"
    I think is a really good move for Jr. and for Hendricks. It is going to be very interesting next year, watching that stable of drivers. Each of them bring a little something that will complement the others and the organization.
    I agree with BoBoFan that Jr fans will have a harder time adjusting. However, just because a driver is on a team, it doesn't mean you have to like all the other drivers. I like Gordon and Johnson, but I am not fond of Busch.
    It is a shame that Jr and DEI (TEI) couldn't reach an agreement, family and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by anemone;2448275;
    "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!"
    I think is a really good move for Jr. and for Hendricks. It is going to be very interesting next year, watching that stable of drivers. Each of them bring a little something that will complement the others and the organization.
    I agree with BoBoFan that Jr fans will have a harder time adjusting. However, just because a driver is on a team, it doesn't mean you have to like all the other drivers. I like Gordon and Johnson, but I am not fond of Busch.
    It is a shame that Jr and DEI (TEI) couldn't reach an agreement, family and all that.
    anemone, Busch will be leaving, so that will be a good thing!
    Yes, it is a shame that Jr. & DEI (TEI ) could not reach an agreement. I really hope that she will at least let him keep the Number 8, but from the greed I've seen, probably doubtful.

+ Reply to Thread