+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR News 2007

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2245091;
    The new and improved Nascar website has been driving me nuts. I just want basic information, not Razzle-Dazzle. I finally dug around and found the stuff I like, lineup, practice speeds, etc. It is here:

NASCAR.COM : races : NEXTEL Cup

I've bookmarked it and hopefully each week can jump right there and skip the rest of the junk.
    I totally hate the new site! I was so mad yesterday I was looking for a way to send them an e-mail letting them know that their site now sucks big time! It is way to complicted.
    A cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home

Quote Originally Posted by taracran;2255965;
    I totally hate the new site! I was so mad yesterday I was looking for a way to send them an e-mail letting them know that their site now sucks big time! It is way to complicted.
    OMG that site is so hard to navigate and almost impossible to find any decent info. I did e-mail them about their site & said everything you just did, so maybe if they get enough complaints they will change it back. It goes back to the old saying... "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It!"

Now, hold on to your seats & get aload of this mess...

MyFox WGHP | NASCAR Nation Fires Back at Left Coast Lawmakers

NASCAR Nation Fires Back at Left Coast Lawmakers

Last Edited: Friday, 02 Mar 2007, 5:55 PM EST
    Created: Friday, 02 Mar 2007, 5:55 PM EST

By ERIC WHITE
    FOX8 News
    FOX8 WGHP -- To no one's surprise (in this newsroom anyway), NASCAR fans in the Piedmont don’t like being stereotyped as toothless, white trash rednecks.

The remarks were made after a group including Richard Petty and Darrell Waltrip went before Washington state lawmakers about wanting to build a race track in the Evergreen State.

Washington state representative Larry Seaquist made this comment about NASCAR fans with southern roots: “These people are not the kind of people you would want living next door to you. They’d be the ones with the junky cars in the front yard and would try to slip around the law.”

Local NASCAR fans we talked with agreed to disagree with the stereotype.

"I do take tremendous offense at that negative response," said Helen Brooks. "It is part of the cultural heritage here,” said fellow fan Bill Schilling. “It's not something people probably would appreciate being made fun of."

At Richard Childress Vineyards, we ran into some non-race fans, who also think the stereotypes of the sport and the south are unfair.

“I don’t think this man has ever been to North Carolina to see what we're really like,” said Bert Wood. “He (Rep. Seaquist) has no taste either and he's obviously not very intelligent."

What does NASCAR team owner and wine expert Richard Childress think about all of this?

“Evidently he knows absolutely nothing about what he's talking about,” said Childress. “I was always brought up to say if you can't say something good about someone, don't say it, but I'm going to brake this rule. This guy is full of _____" (you can fill in the blank).

Another Washington state lawmaker made some nasty comments toward Richard Petty. Speaker of the House Frank Chopp implied the King of NASCAR looked like a drunken felon, saying “You mean the guy who got picked up for DUI?"

For the record, Mr. Petty does not drink alcohol. A spokesperson for Petty said Chopp later apologized and the team owner considers the issue over and done with.

= = =

Note: Here is how you can contact Rep. Larry Seaquist

E-mail: seaquist.larry@leg.wa.gov
    Phone: (360) 786-7802
    Snail mail:

Rep. Larry Seaquist
    P.O. Box 40600
    317 John L. O’Brien Bldg.
    Olympia, WA 98504-0600

ESPN Acquires Jayski.com

Jayski is going to continue to run the site so I hope they keep up the good job they do.
    Jayski's® Silly Season Site - Nextel Cup News Page
    # ESPN Acquires Jayski.com: ESPN has acquired Jayski.com - one of the top NASCAR information sites on the Internet. Jayski, who began the site in 1996, will continue to operate Jayski.com, which counts top NASCAR crew chiefs, drivers and owners among its regular visitors. The site has seen tremendous growth in the past three years and is now considered one of the most influential web sites in the sport. Jayski has gained a reputation for consistently breaking industry stories and serving as the ultimate resource and trackside companion for NASCAR fans. Jayski.com will remain an independent voice on ESPN.com and complement the site's revamped NASCAR editorial section, providing NASCAR fans the most comprehensive coverage of the sport on the Internet.
    "Jayski.com is, day-in and day-out, one of the most distinctive, authoritative voices for NASCAR fans online," said John Kosner, senior vice president and general manager, ESPN New Media. "Few developments for ESPN are more exciting than getting back into NASCAR, and doing so with one of the most dialed-in NASCAR insiders in the business. Jay's fan perspective informs everything he writes; he's a must-read for any serious NASCAR enthusiast."
    Jayski.com's relationship with ESPN extends back to 2004, when ESPN began hosting the website. Jayski and partner Mark Garrow will serve as contributors for NASCAR coverage across all ESPN media - including on-air, online and radio and podcasting. "I am proud to be associated with ESPN, especially as they expand their role in NASCAR," said Jayski. "I'll still be running the site, but with the support of ESPN, we'll have the resources to grow Jayski.com to serve NASCAR fans even better than it already does."
    Jayski.com features more than 1,500 pages of content on NASCAR Nextel Cup, the Busch Series and Truck Series. Some of the most popular features of the site include Jayski's NASCAR News and Rumors, Team Pages and the Jayski Paint Scheme section. ESPN.com's core NASCAR news, information and feature coverage is anchored by award-winning writers Terry Blount and David Newton, with contributions from Rusty Wallace, Marty Smith and Angelique Chengelis.(ESPN PR), no changes planned for the site.(4-2-2007)

Re: NASCAR News 2007

This sure sounds might fishy to me. I hope Michael isn't

Waltrip charged after rolling car in accident
    AP - Apr 10, 9:03 pm EDT
    SHERRILL'S FORD, N.C. (AP) -- Michael Waltrip has been charged with reckless driving and failing to report an accident after hitting a telephone pole and rolling his car about a mile from his home over the weekend.
    Waltrip, who suffered scratches to his arms, hands and face and cuts on his finger, said he fell asleep at the wheel right before he wrecked his Toyota Land Cruiser early Saturday morning. He left the scene of the accident and walked the rest of the way home.
    Police found him at his house about six hours after finding the car at the accident scene.
    ``I am really embarrassed about the accident, but I feel fortunate that I wasn't hurt,'' the two-time Daytona 500 winner said Tuesday.
    ``For 25 years I have had a great driving record. I consider myself to be a courteous and safe driver on public roads. I never expected to fall a sleep behind the wheel of a car.''
    Police said the accident happened before 2 a.m. when Waltrip lost control of his SUV while driving around a curve and overcorrected. His car rolled and hit a utility pole, said Sgt. Brian Sharpe of the State Highway Patrol in Catawba County.
    The vehicle, which was on its side, was abandoned and there was blood in it when police arrived. Witnesses reported seeing the driver crawl from the car and leave.
    ``He left the scene,'' Sharpe said. ``We got the plate number, realized it was him and tried to locate him.''
    An attempt to locate him that morning was unsuccessful, but police reached him the next day. Waltrip was not arrested.
    It's the latest troubles for Waltrip, who is having a horrendous first season as a car owner.
    He was caught cheating during Daytona 500 preparations when NASCAR found a fuel additive in his engine, and was docked a record 100 driver points. His crew chief was fined a record $100,000 and suspended indefinitely, as was his competition director.
    Meanwhile, he has failed to qualify for the five races since the 500.
    Dale Jarrett, who drives one of Waltrip's cars, has needed a provisional to make five of the six races this year and is currently 37th in the points. David Reutimann, his other driver, has failed to make two races and is 43rd in points.
    Waltrip charged after rolling car in accident - NASCAR - Yahoo! Sports

Here's a follow up story.
    Witness surprised Waltrip survived crash - Yahoo! News
    By JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer Wed Apr 11, 8:43 PM ET

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The witness who discovered Michael Waltrip's overturned car initially thought no one survived the accident until the NASCAR driver wiggled out the back window.

The witness, an 18-year-old college student at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte, requested anonymity during a phone interview Wednesday with The Associated Press for fear of reprisal from Waltrip's fan base.

But she said she lives near the two-time Daytona 500 winner in Sherrill's Ford, and stumbled upon the accident when she was returning home around 2 a.m. Saturday. She saw an overturned Toyota Land Cruiser in a ditch and rushed over to check on the occupants. She didn't see anyone in the car and no one answered her shouts, so she called 911 for help.

"After I got off the phone I was walking around the car again and somebody stuck their foot out the back driver side of the window," she said. "That's when Michael Waltrip got out. He wiggled out the back window. I knew immediately it was him. He just got out the back driver side window and stood up."

The witness said she asked Waltrip how long he'd been in the car and he told her about 10 minutes.

"He was bleeding from his forehead and had some cuts on his fingers and arms," she said. "I told him `You are really lucky you are alive. I didn't think anybody was alive in there.' We sort of talked for a minute or two, and I told him 911 was on the way, and he just turned around and started walking home.

"I didn't know what to say or what to do. He had a T-shirt and sweat pants and socks on, he might have taken his shoes off in the car, but I wasn't sure. And he just turned around and started walking home in his socks."

Waltrip was charged Saturday evening with reckless driving and failing to report an accident, both misdemeanors. He told police he fell asleep the wheel and woke up to find his car overturned in the gravel.

Waltrip has a May 14 court date in Newton on the charges.

NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said NASCAR would talk with Waltrip on Friday in Texas.

Waltrip had a scheduled interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday, but a representative, Brooke Hondros, canceled it, saying Waltrip wasn't feeling well.

But in an interview with The Charlotte Observer, he said he was embarrassed for leaving the scene.

"I just feel stupid," he told the newspaper. "I feel like an idiot because this one is all me."

State trooper B.L. Buchanan said he arrived on the scene to find the wrecked SUV — which had also hit a telephone pole — but no Waltrip. He said he went to Waltrip's home to speak to him around 3 a.m., but was unsuccessful in locating the driver.

Hondros said Waltrip was showering in his pool house and didn't hear the police when they arrived.

Buchanan said his shift ended at 5 a.m., and he finally made contact with Waltrip at 8 p.m. Saturday when he returned to duty and Waltrip called him. The officer met him at Waltrip's home and issued the citation.

Waltrip told The Observer alcohol did not contribute to the accident.

"I didn't go home to avoid anything," he said. "I just went there trying to figure out what to do."

Waltrip is having a rough first year as a car owner.

He was caught cheating during Daytona 500 preparations when NASCAR found a fuel additive in his engine, and was docked a record 100 driver points. His crew chief was fined a record $100,000 and suspended indefinitely, as was his competition director.

Meanwhile, he has failed to qualify for the five races since the 500.

Dale Jarrett, who drives one of Waltrip's cars, has needed a provisional to make five of the six races this year and is currently 37th in the points. David Reutimann, his other driver, has failed to make two races and is 43rd in points.

I agree with Tony on the debris cautions. Are the races being fixed? I don't think so but I do think NASCAR plays with the cautions to keep the racing close. Think of it as TAR bunching, NASCAR style.
    Sounds like Tony needs a refresher course from his anger management class.
    Stewart likens NASCAR to wrestling - NASCAR - Yahoo! Sports
    April 25, 2007

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Two-time champion Tony Stewart likened NASCAR to professional wrestling and accused it of using bogus caution flags to shape races in biting comments made on his weekly radio show.

Stewart's appearance on his Tuesday night show was his first since skipping a post-race press conference in Phoenix. He dominated Saturday night's race but lost after a late exchange of leads with winner Jeff Gordon. Stewart said he refused interviews to avoid bashing NASCAR after officials threw four cautions for debris on the track.

``It's like playing God,'' he said on his Sirius Satellite Radio program. ``They can almost dictate the race instead of the drivers doing it. It's happened too many times this year.''

Stewart, who said he was fighting a fever and left the two-hour show early, went on to say fans are complaining about debris cautions and NASCAR isn't listening.

``I guess NASCAR thinks 'Hey, wrestling worked, and it was for the most part staged, so I guess it's going to work in racing, too,''' he said. ``I can't understand how long the fans are going to let NASCAR treat them like they're stupid before the fans finally turn on NASCAR.

``I don't know that they've run a fair race all year.''

NASCAR officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment Wednesday.

Stewart led a race-high 132 laps at Phoenix but lost the lead while pitting under the final caution, which came for an accident. He used an impressive three-wide pass to re-claim the lead, only to swap it right back to Gordon, who drove away to victory.

Stewart called it the only legitimate caution of the day.

``To me, it's not all about the money, it's about the integrity of the sport,'' he said on his radio program. ``When I feel our own sanctioning body isn't taking care of that, it's hard to support them and feel proud about being a driver in the Nextel Cup Series when they're throwing debris cautions.''

He has had a frustrating start to the season, dominating several races but failing to find his way to Victory Lane. He was the class of the field at Daytona and Bristol, only to lose those races because of a wreck and mechanical failure.

He also lost a race in Atlanta when a debris caution came out while he was leading with 25 laps to go and the field pitted. Jimmie Johnson passed him for the victory with three laps to go.

Stewart was so frustrated after wrecking in Texas two weeks ago -- an accident caused by hard racing with Juan Pablo Montoya and criticized because Stewart ultimately wrecked Dale Earnhardt Jr. -- he threatened retirement.

The 35-year-old Stewart had calmed by the time he hosted last week's radio show, when he said he talked of retiring out of frustration.

I agree that the debris cautions sometimes seem a little "fishy". But, geez, I sure get tired of hearing Tony Stewart whine about everything. He is the nicest guy in the world when he's winning, but let him lose a couple of races and he turns into a real jerk. I think Stewart is one of the most talented drivers in NASCAR and I respect him for that, but he really needs an attitude adjustment.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

I don't look at it like he's whinning, he's the only driver with guts enough to say what he thinks about how things are being run. Everyone else probably thinks the same way and says so in private but won't go public.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Re: Tony's statement

I think there is a big difference in saying, "Can we look closely at the issue of debris cautions? Are they affecting race outcomes?" and saying,
    "I guess NASCAR thinks 'Hey, wrestling worked, and it was for the most part staged, so I guess it's going to work in racing, too,''' he said. ``I can't understand how long the fans are going to let NASCAR treat them like they're stupid before the fans finally turn on NASCAR.

``I don't know that they've run a fair race all year.''
    If he said it right after the race, in the heat of the moment, it would be one thing. The thing is he had a day or two to calm down and not shoot off his mouth. Tony says stuff and is often times given a pass for it because he is one of the better drivers and he is seen as "passionate" and "intense." But to absolutely say that the governing body of your sport is fixed? He should be held accountable for that. I don't see him making this statement if he'd have won this year.
    Besides, if the fix were in JJ would never have won a championship and Junior would have been having much more success.

hey, this is an awesome clip of Dale Earnhardt jr. Talk about fast! Check out this link Nascar fans:

http://www.bud.tv/secure/watch.aspx?m=581&s=74#Results

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

+ Reply to Thread