+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: NASCAR News 2007

Benny will be sorely missed.

Parsons' memorial services to be held Friday

http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/20..._daily149.html

Parsons' memorial services to be held Friday

SCENEDAILY - 2:51PM ET WEDNESDAY JANUARY 17, 2007

Performance Racing Network has announced that Benny Parsons will be remembered during services on Friday.

Family, close friends and members of the racing community who knew Parsons will be received for a 2 p.m. service at Grace Covenant Church in Huntersville, N.C., north of Charlotte.

Following the memorial service, race fans are welcome to present memorials at the church from 4-6 p.m.

In lieu of flowers, Parsons asked that donations be made in his name to the Connie E. Parsons Memorial Fund, P.O. Box 443, Ellerbee, NC 28338; or to the Blumenthal Cancer Center, 1025 Morehead Medical Drive, No. 600, Charlotte, NC 28204.

Chase Format & Points System Changed for 2007

From Jayski's Silly Season Site. I like the changes to the points system but I need to think about the changes to the Chase format.
    # NASCAR Announces Adjustments to ‘Chase’ Format and Points System: Race victories will become more important than ever in 2007 as a result of adjustments to the points system and the Chase for the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup format announced today by NASCAR. The adjustments are designed to establish more balance between winning and consistency, but there is a new emphasis on the former. “The adjustments taken today put a greater emphasis on winning races,” said NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France. “Winning is what this sport is all about. Nobody likes to see drivers content to finish in the top 10. We want our sport – especially during the Chase – to be more about winning.”

Chase Adjustments: The Chase – consisting of the season’s last 10 races – will further reflect the importance of racing to win, via a variety of adjustments.

> During the format’s first three years, the top 10 drivers in points after the 26th race of the season (at Richmond International Raceway) qualified for the Chase; in addition, any other driver outside the top 10 but within 400 points of the standings’ leader was also eligible.
    Starting this season, the 400-point cut-off is eliminated.

Also, after Race 26, the top 12 drivers in the points will qualify for the Chase.
    > All 12 drivers will have their point totals re-set to 5,000; each will then receive a 10-point bonus for each race victory they had during the first 26 races.

> The Chase drivers will be “seeded” to start the Chase based on the number of wins amassed during the regular season.
    Points adjustment: In line with the Chase adjustments, wins throughout the season will be more valuable.

> Race winners throughout the 36-race season will now receive 185 points, a five-point increase. Counting the five-point bonuses available for leading at least one lap and leading the most laps, a race winner now can earn a maximum of 195 points, creating a possible maximum of 25 points between first- and second-place finishers.

The 2006 season of Kasey Kahne provides a dramatic illustration of the adjusted Chase format’s implications. Kahne qualified for last year’s Chase, but started it in 10th place – despite having won a series-high five races. Under the new format, Kahne would begin the Chase in first place, with 5,050 points. Mark Martin and Jeff Burton, seventh and eighth at the outset of last year’s Chase, would instead start in 11th and 12th, each with 5,000, since they had no race victories entering the Chase. Also, Tony Stewart and Greg Biffle, who failed to make the Chase last year – they were 11th and 12th and beyond the 400-point cut-off – would qualify under the adjusted format. Stewart would be fifth with 5,020 points, Biffle 10th with 5,010.(NASCAR PR)(1-22-2007)

I wonder what NASCAR will do to him for this.
    NASCAR driver Truex charged with disorderly intoxication
    January 23, 2007

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- Two-time NASCAR Busch Series champion Martin Truex Jr. apologized Tuesday for being charged last week with disorderly intoxication.

A Volusia County Beach Patrol officer saw Truex urinating on his car in a parking garage early last Friday, according to a police report. Capt. Rich Gardner, who said he smelled alcohol on Truex's breath, repeatedly asked Truex to place his hands behind his back so he could handcuff him before Truex agreed, the report said.

The officer approached Truex, according to the report, and said, "I hope that's worth 100 bucks." According to Gardner, Truex responded with, "It is worth 100 bucks" and held out a $100 bill.

In a statement issued Tuesday, Truex said he joined some team members at a local restaurant after testing last Thursday.

"We had a few drinks, I was not intoxicated and we had a designated driver," Truex said. "Afterwards, while I was standing by our SUV, a man walked up to me in the parking deck. He didn't immediately identify himself as a police officer.

"I was taken a little off guard, but once I realized he was an officer, I fully cooperated. There was no resistance on my part in any way. I don't feel I was being disorderly, but that doesn't make what happened right, and again, I want to apologize for my behavior."
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?...v=ap&type=lgns

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    At least it wasn't a DUI charge since he obviously wasn't driving his car at the time. What are we going to do with these drivers???
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

It's sad that Nascar lost 2 members(if you will) just within the last few weeks, Bobby Hamilton died, now Benny, surely when the Daytona 500 airs they(whatever networks has it) will do something on/about these 2.

Harvick Calls Teresa Earnhardt "Deadbeat Owner"

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs...0105/701250308

Sports
    Thursday, January 25, 2007
    NASCAR's holiday is over

By Dustin Long
    Staff Writer

The holidays are over, and the goodwill is gone. NASCAR's season-opening race is more than three weeks away, and bickering competitors are already in midseason form.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Teresa Earnhardt don't get along. Kevin Harvick calls out Teresa Earnhardt for her management style. Jack Roush intensifies his rants against Toyota. Jeremy Mayfield blisters former boss Ray Evernham. Tony Stewart says he's ready to fight Carl Edwards.

Can't you just see Jerry Springer pitching a special edition of his show with this cast? No doubt it would be a prime-time special.

Harvick and Roush have each raised NASCAR's threat level from orange to red in the last few days.

Harvick called Teresa Earnhardt, who owns Dale Earnhardt Inc., a "deadbeat owner" for rarely going to races.

"You always see Richard Childress," Harvick said of his boss at the track. "You always see all these other guys.

"It's not just a money pit that somebody says, "Well, I can make money off Dale Jr., I can make money off Dale Earnhardt,' this and that. You can't run his race team away from the race track. You have to be at the race track, and you have to play the politics of the sport. You have to be a part of your team. And, you have to understand what's going on.

"To me, from the outside looking in, it doesn't look like its happening."

Earnhardt Jr. called Harvick's comments "ridiculous."

"I don't think there's a comment for Kevin's remarks," Earnhardt Jr. said. "With everything that has happened, not just to the company but to the family in the last five years, (Teresa) has had a full plate. I think that she's been responsible for, willingly and unwillingly, a lot to battle with. She's taken care of things most important for family."

Earnhardt Jr.'s comments came a couple of weeks after he admitted his relationship with Teresa Earnhardt, his boss and stepmother, "ain't a bed of roses." He was unhappy with comments she made in December questioning his commitment to racing and said his relationship with her would play a factor in contract talks.

Roush, meanwhile, has talked for several months about Toyota entering the Cup series. He says Toyota will outspend teams and that Toyota's technology will create an imbalance. Wednesday, Roush ratcheted the rhetoric.

"We're going to go to war with them and they should give us their best shot," he said.

Later, he added: "I'm definitely preparing myself for a siege."

When asked why he was so scared of Toyota, which has had limited success in Formula One despite spending millions of dollars, Roush fired back that he wasn't scared. "I don't back away from a good fight."

Neither does Mayfield. His departure from Evernham Motorsports last season turned nasty. Mayfield stated in court documents that Evernham's relationship with the team's development driver, Erin Crocker, took Evernham away from his duties as car owner. Evernham countered that Mayfield wrecked intentionally at Indianapolis.

Mayfield remains bitter.

"The war ain't over yet," Mayfield said.

The Nextel Cup season starts on Feb. 18 with the Daytona 500.

DEAL NEAR: Roush Racing has scheduled a press conference for Feb. 14 in Daytona Beach, Fla., where it is expected the team will announce that Fenway Sports Group has purchased an interest in the team. Roush said his new partner, which is owned by the same group that owns the Boston Red Sox, would have ownership of between 25 and 50 percent.

GIBBS' GRANDSON SICK: Car owner Joe Gibbs says 2-year-old grandson Taylor has leukemia. J.D. Gibbs, son of Joe Gibbs and president of Joe Gibbs Racing, says his son was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago and has already started treatment, including chemotherapy.

Contact Dustin Long at 373-7062 or dlong@news-record.com

When Harvick talks, no one should listen!!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Is there going to be a FORT fantasy racing league this year? I know that we are only a couple of weeks out from the Daytona race. Our family moved so we have been out of touch with FORT for a couple months. Please let me know or my wife Corine. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's not how far you go, it's how go you far!

ESPN doesn't have it up yet. It will be next week I believe. I'll be setting it up when it's ready.

+ Reply to Thread