+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR News 2007

Re: NASCAR News 2007

It's official.
    NASCAR.COM - Gibbs switching to Toyotas for 2008 NASCAR season - Sep 5, 2007
    Gibbs switching to Toyotas for 2008 NASCAR season
    Team ending 16-year relationship with General Motors

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. -- Joe Gibbs Racing, winners of three Nextel Cup Series championships and more than 70 NASCAR races, will campaign Toyota Camrys in the Sprint Cup Series and Grand National Series beginning in 2008.

"We look forward to partnering with Toyota in NASCAR in 2008. Toyota will be hands-on with us as we become an integral part of their long-term development in NASCAR," said J.D. Gibbs, president of JGR.
    Rusty Jarrett/Getty Images
    Moving forward

In securing its future, David Caraviello says Toyota is following traces from the past.

"We have 420-plus families that are our No. 1 priority, and taking care of them for the future is very important to us. Our people have made us as successful as we are today, and it's those same people who will ensure our success in the future. When our teams win, those families win. We're thrilled for everyone at JGR who will benefit from this."

"This decision was made by all of the key leadership at JGR," said Jimmy Makar, senior vice president of racing operations for JGR. "It was a decision made by the people in our competition department, who live by the one question whenever a decision is made regarding Joe Gibbs Racing: 'Will this make us more competitive on the race track?' The consensus answer was yes."

JGR has been associated with General Motors since its debut in the 1992 Daytona 500.

"General Motors has been associated with Joe Gibbs Racing for 16 years working together winning races and championships. While we understand the business nature of racing, we are disappointed in J.D.'s decision and announcement [Wednesday]," said Brent Dewar; General Motors North America vice president of vehicle sales, service and parts. "With our long-standing relationship and record of winning with them, we hoped they would remain with Chevrolet. We will continue to support our JGR drivers in this year's Chase for the championship. We wish JGR well as they go forward, and Chevrolet will compete against them on the track next year to defend its title as the winningest name in racing."

The team fielded Chevrolets from 1992 through 1996, switched to Pontiac in 1997, and then switched back to Chevrolet in 2003. Two of its championships came with Pontiac -- Bobby Labonte in 2000 and Tony Stewart in 2002 -- while the most recent championship came with Chevrolet in 2005 at the hands of Stewart. Two of JGR's drivers -- Stewart and Denny Hamlin -- are currently in position to challenge for this year's championship.

"General Motors has been a great partner to Joe Gibbs Racing, and we've been able to celebrate many victories together," said Joe Gibbs, owner and founder of JGR. "GM has many great teams, and moving forward, we know they will continue to be very successful. It's our hope we can deliver to GM their 38th Cup Series championship this season as a way to cap our 16-year relationship with them."

"Joe Gibbs Racing is one of the most respected teams in NASCAR, a championship-caliber race team and a first-class organization," said Jim Aust, vice president of Toyota Motorsports and president and CEO of Toyota Racing Development, USA. "We are confident that partnering with the Gibbs team will raise the level of our entire Toyota NASCAR program, and will be beneficial to all of our current teams racing the Toyota Camry."

Joe Gibbs Racing will be joining Bill Davis Racing, Michael Waltrip Racing and Team Red Bull as the teams that will be racing Toyotas when the 2008 season kicks off in February at Daytona International Speedway.

"Our motorsports heritage has taught us the value of working with experienced teams and partners," Aust said. "We have built excellent relationships with the current teams as we have developed the Toyota Camry Cup program during our first year of NASCAR competition, and we look forward to developing a similar relationship with Joe Gibbs Racing.

I think they're absolutely crazy!

I haven't seen much in the way of public comments from Tony Stewart on this subject... I can't imagine he's happy... A Camry? My grandmother drives a camry! I think he's under contract until 2009. I'm surprised his contract didn't have some sort of an out if they switch manufacturers like that... That's a huge change...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie;2558929;
    I think they're absolutely crazy!

I haven't seen much in the way of public comments from Tony Stewart on this subject... I can't imagine he's happy... A Camry? My grandmother drives a camry! I think he's under contract until 2009. I'm surprised his contract didn't have some sort of an out if they switch manufacturers like that... That's a huge change...
    I read an article today but I can't find it. This is from yesterday.
    Jayski'sŪ Silly Season Site - Team Pages - #20
    Extensions for Stewart & Hamlin close: [Joe Gibbs Racing's] Car owner J.D. Gibbs says that contract extensions are nearly set with #11-Denny Hamlin and #20-Tony Stewart. Both have contracts through 2009. Both are set to attend the team's press conference later this week announcing the [supposed] move to Toyota and their contact extensions could be announced there.(Roanoke Times)(9-4-2007)

I found the article about Tony Stewart.
    Tony Stewart working on extension with Joe Gibbs Racing to stay in Nextel Cup Series past 2009 - NASCAR - Yahoo! Sports
    Tony Stewart working on extension with Joe Gibbs Racing to stay in Nextel Cup Series past 2009
    By JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer

September 5, 2007

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. (AP) -- When Tony Stewart signed a five-year extension back in 2003, many believed it would be his final NASCAR contract.

After all, the two-time champion threatens at least once a season to walk away from NASCAR when his existing deal ends.

Turns out, Stewart isn't going anywhere. He said Wednesday he's working on an extension to stay at Joe Gibbs Racing past 2009. The team also is trying to add three years to Denny Hamlin's contract that expires in 2010.

``I'm not looking to retire anytime soon,'' the 36-year-old Stewart said. ``If I was doing that, I wouldn't look at signing a new contract.''

Stewart has never seemed to embrace NASCAR the way he does the smaller racing series he still frequents. He's griped about the politics of the industry, the demands on his time and the non-racing related requirements that fill his schedule.

It often appeared Stewart simply was using the grinding 38-weekend Nextel Cup schedule to pay for his extracurricular racing. Besides the non-NASCAR races he competes in, Stewart owns Eldora Speedway in Ohio and is part-owner in two other race tracks.

But he's one of NASCAR's biggest stars and arguably its most talented driver. In nine seasons, he's won 32 races, scored 185 top-10 finishes and won championships in 2002 and 2005.

He's only finished outside the top seven in points once -- last season, when he failed to qualify for the Chase for the championship and finished a career-worst 11th in the standings. But Stewart won a series-high three times during that 10-race stretch he wasn't eligible for the title.

Now, Stewart said he wants to win races well into his 40s.

``I've been racing since I was 8 years old. The day it's not fun, I'll quit,'' he said. ``As long as I'm enjoying what I'm doing, I'm staying around.''

JGR president J.D. Gibbs said the team was never sure how long Stewart would race in NASCAR.

``We've always told him, the ball is in his court,'' Gibbs said. ``He wants to keep the ball rolling -- it's up to him on how long -- and we're thrilled he wants to keep racing with us.''

Stewart's intent was announced the same day JGR said it will switch to Toyota next season and end its 16-year relationship with General Motors. Stewart won both his championships driving for GM -- a Pontiac in 2002 and a Chevrolet in 2005 -- and the manufacturer also supports his sprint car teams.

He said he hopes he can continue to work with GM in the lower ranks once JGR switches to Toyota next season.

It's tough to leave Joe Gibbs. This is one of the most inspirational men in all of sports. If anyone can make the Toyota thing work it will be Gibbs Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2559687;
    It's tough to leave Joe Gibbs. This is one of the most inspirational men in all of sports. If anyone can make the Toyota thing work it will be Gibbs Racing.
    I do think that Toyota will work out, especially given COT for next season. They just needed one outstanding program, and they've certainly gotten that with Joe Gibbs.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

Personally I think the basic cars are pretty equal especially with the COT's. Toyota just got off to a bad start this season with an entire new team that had to qualify for each race. With JBR they should be in every race and it will be up to the driver. No offense to Waltrip, but he can't be considered a top ten driver, a nice guy maybe and a known name, but not top ten. JGR has on the other hand both Tony Stewart and Denny Hamlin who are outstanding drivers and should give Toyota a much better result next season. If they do it should make the American made car teams work that much harder.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Marlin, Nemechek file lawsuit

I hope my boy Sterling gets what he is due.
    Jayski'sŪ Silly Season Site - Nextel Cup News Page
    Marlin, Nemechek file lawsuit against Ginn Racing, DEI Sterling Marlin and Joe Nemechek have sued Ginn Racing and Dale Earnhardt Inc. for alleged breaches of their contracts, which included a base salary of $1.2 million apiece. The separate suits, filed Sept. 7 in Cabarrus County, N.C., do not specify how much they have been paid or what they exactly are owed. Also suing Ginn and DEI are crew chiefs Richard "Slugger" Labbe and Peter Sospenzo. Ginn and DEI merged prior to the Indianapolis race in July, and Marlin and Nemechek found themselves without a place in the organization. The points of the #14 of Marlin ended up moving to the #15 of DEI with Paul Menard as the driver, while the #13 Nemechek team was eliminated. "Demand for payment has been made ..., but [Ginn and DEI] have failed and/or refused to pay all or any part," the complaints state. The contracts of both drivers and both crew chiefs were filed as part of the complaints and give an insight to what the current rate is for drivers. Both drivers joined the organization when it was MB2 Motorsports. Marlin began in 2006 with a base salary of $1.1 million, and that increased to $1.2 million for 2007. Nemechek started with MB2 in 2004 and received $900,000 for 2004, $1 million for 2005, $1.1 million for 2006 and $1.2 million for 2007. Both drivers got to keep 45% of their race winnings (Nemechek, who was 27th in points in 2006, had $4,099,914 million total in race winnings last year, while Marlin, 34th in points, had $3,248,034 million) and 33% of souvenir sales. Their bonus schedules were $50,000 per win, $25,000 for a top-five, $10,000 for a top-10 and $5,000 per pole. Winning a Cup title was worth a $500,000 bonus, while second through fifth in the final standings were worth $250,000; sixth through 10th were $150,000; 11th through 15th were $100,000 and 16th through 20th were $50,000. Each received a $500 per race travel allowance, a seat on the team plane and a hotel room for each race. They also got a personal car. They agreed to 50 hours of personal appearances for a sponsor plus two days for commercials or media events as well as unlimited track hospitality visits not to exceed 30 minutes in length. They were both responsible for their own insurance. There is a morals clause in each contract stating they "shall not associate with gamblers or other notorious characters; shall not use illegal drugs; and shall not consume alcoholic beverages except in moderation but in no event within eight hours prior to driving in a race or practice."
    As far as the crew chiefs, Labbe, hired as the crew chief for Marlin in August 2006, and Sospenzo, hired as crew chief for Nemechek in October 2006, were earning $450,000 annual salaries. Labbe was guaranteed another $50,000 if his bonus money didn't reach that amount, while Sospenzo was guaranteed $25,000. Their bonuses were $20,000 for a win, $10,000 for second-fifth, $5,000 for sixth-10th, $2,500 for 11th-15th and $1,000 for a pole. A season championship was worth $100,000, second-fifth ($75,000) and sixth-10th were $50,000 for Labbe and sixth-12th were $50,000 for Sospenzo. They also got a personal vehicle as well as reimbursement for motorhome expenses. They agreed to make 10 away-from-the-track appearances. They also signed confidentiality agreements related to technical data and car setups. They also agreed that if they left they company, they would not attempt to hire any crew members for a year.(SceneDaily.com)(9-10-2007)

I will be rooting for Matt Kenseth for the Chase!

ESPN - Failed inspection costs Edwards 25 points, $25K - Nascar

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Carl Edwards was docked 25 points Tuesday because his race-winning car failed inspection at Dover International Raceway.

Losing 25 points might come back to haunt Carl Edwards in the Chase for the Championship. In the three years of the chase, the widest margin of victory has been 56 points.

The penalty drops Edwards from third in the Chase for the championship standings to sixth. He's now 28 points behind series leader Jeff Gordon.

Team owner Jack Roush, who celebrated his 100th win Sunday with Edwards' victory, also was docked 25 owner points and crew chief Bob Osborne was fined $25,000.

Roush Fenway Racing president Geoff Smith told ESPN.com's David Newton the penalty was unfair and that the team plans to appeal.

Edwards' No. 99 Ford was deemed to be too low following post-race inspection. Although NASCAR determined the height infraction was not intentional, the team still was penalized in accordance with NASCAR's strict inspection policy.

Kyle Busch and Johnny Sauter received similar penalties when their cars failed inspection following the July race at New Hampshire. Tony Stewart's car was too low following last week's race in New Hampshire, but NASCAR ruled it was caused by race damage.

Edwards dominated the second half of Sunday's race to score his third victory of the season. The win lofted him thick into the title hunt, just three points behind Gordon. Now he heads to Kansas Speedway mired in the middle of the cluttered standings.

The top six drivers are separated by 28 points.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

+ Reply to Thread