+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR News 2007

Silly Season is in full swing

From Jayski's® Silly Season Site - Nextel Cup News Page
    Kyle Busch to Drive for Joe Gibbs Racing: Kyle Busch chose to drive for Joe Gibbs Racing next season and began informing other teams Monday of his decision. A source close to Busch told The Associated Press that the driver had selected Gibbs after a seven-week search that began when Hendrick Motorsports released the 22-year-old driver to make room for Dale Earnhardt Jr. next season. The source requested anonymity because the deal was not finalized. "Kyle has made his decision and is in the process of informing the teams of his preference," said Jeff Dickerson, who represents Busch through Motorsports Management International. "As there are many details that still need to be worked out, Kyle will not be making that decision public at this time." Two car owners who had actively pursued Busch told the AP that the driver informed them Monday he had not selected their teams. They requested anonymity because they didn't reveal Busch's selection.(Associated Press)(8-6-2007)

More on Gibbs to Toyota..done deal?; Busch to JGR; Yeley? HOF to RCR engines? UPDATE 3: hearing the decision has been made and that Joe Gibbs Racing [#11, #18, #20] will switch from Chevrolet to Toyota in 2008 and the announcement should come in early September.(8-6-2007)
    AND: Joe Gibbs Racing still hasn’t announced whether it will switch to Toyotas next year, but the buzz is that it will. Some clues? Tony Stewart’s souvenir trailers were selling merchandise at 50% off regular price last week at the Brickyard, Stewart’s home track and a place where the Hoosier native is wildly popular. Also, a source at Richard Childress Racing said it has been approached by Hall of Fame Racing, a satellite Gibbs team, about buying engines from the newly merged RCR-Dale Earnhardt Inc., engine operation in 2008. Presumably, HOF is hedging its bets, if it ends up not being part of a Gibbs move to Toyota.(Ford Racing)(8-6-2007)

Re: NASCAR News 2007

ESPN - Robby Gordon fined $35K, placed on probation - Nascar

By David Newton
    ESPN.com

Updated: August 7, 2007, 5:16 PM ET
    CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Robby Gordon faces indefinite suspension if he's not on his best behavior in the Nextel Cup and Busch Series for the remainder of the season.

Gordon on Tuesday was fined $35,000 and placed on probation for the remainder of the year in both of NASCAR's top two series for his behavior in Saturday's Busch Series race in Montreal.

The penalties came on top of Gordon being "parked" from driving in Sunday's Cup race at Pocono Raceway.

"If he does anything that we consider conduct detrimental to [the sport] or if he in any way disrupts the orderly running of an event he will be suspended indefinitely," NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said.

"Anything we deem in appropriate. The magnifying glass just got bigger on Robby Gordon," Hunter said.

The penalties are in line with what happened to Kevin Harvick in 2002 when he was not allowed to participate in a Cup race for his actions in a Craftsman Truck Series event in Martinsville, Va.

NASCAR officials said it is not uncommon for a driver to be penalized in one series for an event in another because the governing body is over all three series -- Cup, Busch and Truck.

Gordon, who does not drive in the Truck Series, was not docked points because he is not running for points in Busch.

Gordon's penalty was the result of a flurry of events surrounding a green-white checkered finish in the inaugural Busch race at Montreal's Circuit Gilles Villenueve.

Gordon felt he was in the lead when caution flew after contact with Marcos Ambrose sent him into a spin.

NASCAR ruled that Gordon slipped back to 13th before the field was frozen. Gordon, feeling he should have been at least first or second, ignored the order and lined up second behind Ambrose on the restart.

He then spun Ambrose out, opening the door for Harvick to win.

NASCAR black-flagged Gordon and told him to park his car, but Gordon stayed on the track and upstaged Harvick's celebration with a burnout of his own.

NASCAR then parked Gordon for Sunday's Cup race but allowed P.J. Jones to drive the car.

"That was bizarre," Hunter said. "It was as bizarre as anything I've seen in all the years I've been following the sport. Now that's a mouthful. I was stunned."

Gordon could not immediately be reached for comment. He issued an apology on his Web site following Sunday's penalty, saying it was not his intention to disrespect the authority of NASCAR or its officials.

"We'll sit this weekend out, but we will come to Watkins Glen with a vengeance to win both races," said Gordon, one of the top road-course drivers in NASCAR, as he looked ahead to Sunday's race.

Ambrose was initially slated to attempt to qualify for his Cup debut at Watkins Glen in a Ford fielded by Wood Brothers/JTG Racing. But with that team's No. 21 Ford out of the top 35 in owners' points, the team elected to focus all of its efforts on getting Bill Elliott qualified for Sunday's Cup race.

But ESPN has learned that Ambrose may yet get the chance to make his Cup debut -- thanks to Gordon. The owner/driver of Robby Gordon Motorsports has offered Ambrose the chance to qualify for the Centurion Boats at the Glen in a second RGM Ford. It's not certain whether Ambrose will be cleared to accept the offer, but the offer has been made.

An announcement could come as soon as Tuesday evening.

David Newton covers motorsports for ESPN.com. Information from ESPN associate editor Mark Ashenfelter contributed to this report.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

DJ might be retiring?
    Jayski'sŪ Silly Season Site - Nextel Cup News Page
    MWR to two teams? to lose UPS? Toyota is expected to pair down Michael Waltrip racing from a three-car effort to a two-car squad, shifting some of that support to JGR's three-car team of Kyle Busch, Tony Stewart and Denny Hamlin. Dale Jarrett is said to be seriously considering retirement, trading in his helmet for a microphone as a television analyst, which would leave MWR with Michael Waltrip and David Reutimann. There has been talk that UPS, unhappy with the lack of exposure the company has received this year from Jarrett's struggles to make races, is looking at other teams for 2008 sponsorship with Roush Fenway Racing a target, possibly for Greg Biffle's #16 entry.(RacingOne)(8-8-2007)

When does nascars post season start?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonator;2511167;
    When does nascars post season start?
    September 16th, this year, with the Sylvania 300 in New Hampshire. It's a Car of Tomorrow race.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Tons of news this week!

ESPN - Bill Davis Racing letting go of Jeremy Mayfield - Nascar

NASCAR Nextel Cup Series driver Jeremy Mayfield, who has struggled to qualify for races this season, will not return to Bill Davis Racing next year, the team announced Tuesday. A replacement driver has not been named.

Mayfield, who joined BDR after a contentious divorce from Evernham Motorsports, has struggled this season. His No. 36 Toyota Camry team has qualified for only eight of 21 races.

Because he was driving for a new team, Mayfield did not have a guaranteed starting spot in the first five races because the team was outside the top 35 in owner points. He failed to qualify for the first four races of the season and never did crack the top 35.

The team also failed to build continuity or momentum, going through several crew chief changes in an attempt to find the right chemistry.

Team owner Bill Davis said Mayfield had "done all we asked of him and more' as the team took on the challenge of Toyota's first season in the Nextel Cup series and adjusting to the Car of Tomorrow template.

But Davis still decided to make a change.

"We have had great support from Toyota on this endeavor, but it takes more than just manufacturer support to compete on this level," Davis said. "It takes a tremendous amount of additional sponsorship support that just did not materialize as we had anticipated."

"I've been in this sport long enough to know that it takes time to bring a brand new car up to speed in what is probably the most competitive racing series in the world," Mayfield said in the team's news release. "When I made the decision to move here to BDR with an untested car and a sponsor completely unfamiliar with NASCAR, I knew it would be somewhat of a gamble. I believed then, and I believe now, that Toyota has a bright future in the Cup aeries and is making progress every weekend.

"But I think I have delivered what I can to the effort and looking at the total picture -- what's best for me, what's best for the team -- I believe this is the right time for me to consider other opportunities."

Mayfield, 38, has five career wins, 48 career top-5 finishes and 96 top-10s. His last win was Aug. 21, 2005 at Michigan International Speedway.

In 2005 Mayfield had four top-5 finishes and nine top-10s, finishing the season ninth overall in the series points standings. But he had no Top-10 finishes in 2006 and qualified for 22 of 36 races, finishing 39th overall.

Mayfield, the 1993 ARCA Rookie of the Year, made his NASCAR debut on Oct. 10, 1993, finishing 29th in the Mello Yello 500 at what was then known as Charlotte Motor Speedway.
    I cater to the Regs!

If Mayfield kept his mouth shut he would still be at Evernham.

Kenny Wallace out of #78 ride. I hate to hear that as I think Kenny Wallace is great for the sport.
    Kenny Wallace out of #78 ride UPDATE 3 Kenny speaks: hearing Kenny Wallace and the #78 Furniture Row team have parted ways effective immediately, no word who will drive the car at Michigan this weekend.(8-14-2007)
    UPDATE: Furniture Row Racing, a Denver-based Nextel Cup Series racing team, announced today that Kenny Wallace is stepping down as the driver of car #78. Officials for the team have stated that Wallace will remain with the team as a consultant and will be called upon to run races as needed, but that he will also be available to drive for another team.
    Rest of the story here.

Joe Gibbs Racing (JGR) has signed 22-year-old Kyle Busch to drive for the #18 team in Nextel Cup beginning in 2008.
    “We’re extremely pleased to have Kyle Busch as a part of the family here at Joe Gibbs Racing,” said J.D. Gibbs, president of JGR. “Kyle is extremely talented, as his track record has proven, and he had a lot of teams to choose from in determining who would give him the best chance to win. Obviously, we’re glad he chose JGR, and he’ll have all the tools and resources he needs to win races and contend for championships.”
    Rest of the story here.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

Has there ever been this much team shuffling during the season before??? It seems like every week changes are being made on teams and sponsors.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Well I thought Jeff Gordon had that race once, but he lost it at the end but he's still got a big point lead.

+ Reply to Thread