+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR News 2007

Changes at Ginn-Nemechek & Marlin Out

This saddens me. I've been a Sterling fan for years. I grew up watching his daddy race in Nashville.
    Jayski's® Silly Season Site - Team Pages - #01
    Ginn Announces Changes: Emphasizing an eye on the future along with solidifying the foundation of its Nextel Cup program, Ginn Racing announced the following transactions.
    * Aric Almirola has signed with Ginn Racing. He will become Mark Martin’s co-driver in the #01 U.S. Army Chevrolet for the remainder of the 2007 season and will also share the ride with Martin in 2008. His first race in the #01 will be Aug. 12 at the road course in Watkins Glen, N.Y. As part of his contractual obligations, Almirola will compete in five remaining Busch races for JGR this season.
    * Regan Smith will assume full-time driving duties in the team’s #14 Chevy, beginning with the Nextel Cup race July 29 in Indianapolis. Smith replaces Sterling Marlin.
    * Due to a lack of sponsorship, the #13 Ginn Racing team is currently being evaluated. Joe Nemechek, who drove the #13, has been released and is free to explore other opportunities.(Ginn Racing PR).(7-17-2007)

Re: NASCAR News 2007

When I first read that, my thought was that Sterling Marlin won't have a hard time finding another ride, if he wants to keep driving. I sure hope he does (both).
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Dale Earnhardt Inc. and Ginn Racing Merge

I hate to see Sterling lose out in this situation, but it's good for the sport I guess. It's better than just having a team close up shop.
    Jayski's® Silly Season Site - Nextel Cup News Page
    Dale Earnhardt Inc. and Ginn Racing Merge; Official Announcement: Dale Earnhardt Inc. has become even stronger through a merger with Ginn Racing. Effective immediately, the team will feature the Chevys of #15-Paul Menard, #1-Martin Truex Jr., #8-Dale Earnhardt Jr., #01-Mark Martin and #01-Aric Almirola. Martin and Almirola will combine to drive the #01 Army Chevy for the remainder of the 2007 season as well as the entire 2008 season. Menard drives the Menards Chevy, Truex drives the Bass Pro Shops Chevy and Earnhardt handles driving duties of the Budweiser Chevy. All four entries are inside the top 35 in Nextel Cup points heading into this weekend's Brickyard 400. Regan Smith, who was originally slated to drive the Ginn Clubs and Resorts Chevy in the Brickyard 400, will instead compete in the Craftsman Truck Series race at Indianapolis Raceway Park Friday night in the Ginn Resorts Chevy Silverado. Specific schedules for Martin, Smith and Almirola will be announced later. In addition to Nextel Cup Series competition, the company will continue to field entries in the Busch Series, the Busch East Series and will analyze its future involvement in the Craftsman Truck Series. The numerous teams of Dale Earnhardt Inc. will operate from both the original facility built by Dale and Teresa Earnhardt as well as the nearly 180,000-square-foot facility currently housing Ginn Racing's teams. The buildings are less than five miles apart in Mooresville, N.C. Dale Earnhardt Inc.'s current management team will be responsible for all day-to- day activities and transition plans have already begun to develop. John Story, vice president of motorsports operations for DEI will oversee the expansion of the company's racing efforts. In completing this merger, points on Ginn Racing's #13 car, which was 34th in Nextel Cup owner's points, have been eliminated.(Dale Earnhardt Inc PR), been told the #78 team will NOT be allowed to buy the points for the #13 car, and have been told that the #21 Ford will move up into the top 35 of owners pts and get the guaranteed spot. Bill Elliott will run the #21 car at Indy with Ken Schrader in the #49, no word yet if Schrader will return to the #21 at Pocono next week.(7-25-2007)

Along these same lines:

ESPN - Source: Robert Yates to merge with Newman-Haas - Nascar

Robert Yates Racing, Newman-Haas Racing to reveal plans to merge Friday
    By Angelique S. Chengelis
    ESPN.com
    (Archive)
    Updated: July 25, 2007, 8:00 PM ET

Multiple Mergers in NASCARINDIANAPOLIS -- Mergers continue to be the name of the game in NASCAR Nextel Cup series racing this year.

Robert Yates Racing and Newman-Haas Racing will reveal on Friday its plans to merge, a source close to the situation confirmed to ESPN.com. A formal news conference has been set for that afternoon at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

This announcement comes on the heels of the merger acquisition of Dale Earnhardt Inc., and Ginn Racing, as reported by ESPN.com on Tuesday.

Actor Paul Newman, an avid racer and long-time team owner in open-wheel racing, and partner Carl Haas own the team currently leading the Champ Car series with driver Sebastien Bourdais, a three-time champion in the series.

Yates last month at New Hampshire International said he had personally abandoned pursuit of a business partner, saying he had no debts and didn't need to get into a more pressure-packed situation answering to a partner's business demands. He did, however, say he would allow a head-hunting firm continue to look in that area.

Like Robert Yates Racing, Newman-Haas has had deep ties with Ford.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

This is interesting. This will give RYR better funding and access to more engineering. It appears the days of the single car operation and single car owner are dwindling away even further.
    Jayski's® Silly Season Site - Nextel Cup News Page
    RYR to merge with Newman-Haas: Robert Yates Racing and Newman-Haas Racing will reveal on Friday its plans to merge, a source close to the situation confirmed to ESPN.com. A formal news conference has been set for that afternoon at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Actor Paul Newman, an avid racer and long-time team owner in open-wheel racing, and partner Carl Haas own the team currently leading the Champ Car series with driver Sebastien Bourdais, a three-time champion in the series. Yates last month at New Hampshire International said he had personally abandoned pursuit of a business partner, saying he had no debts and didn't need to get into a more pressure-packed situation answering to a partner's business demands. He did, however, say he would allow a head-hunting firm continue to look in that area. Like Robert Yates Racing, Newman-Haas has had deep ties with Ford. (ESPN.com)(7-25-2007)
    Last edited by Unklescott; 07-26-2007 at 06:53 AM.

I knew Tony would be one of the Five drivers to beat in this race. Does anyone wanna speculate as to when we will hear about the FINE, which we know is forthcoming due to him saying "Bull S**t" on LIVE TV?

Dale Jr. got penalized when he let a word SLIP, yet Nascar spared him no mercy! IMO, I found Tony's interview rather "Cocky" and his expletive NO slip, yet rather intentional, challenging the Nascar Brass!

Also, do any of you think there was anything to the Harvick/Stewart Doughnut Drama at the end of the race? I personally think that was all in fun/congratulatory, but if it had resulted in disaster, I suppose that would be another story. Just my take. The reason why I asked is because The Oval Office (Nascar Trailer) had Harvick in there having a Pow-Wow because of that incident. I think as soon as Tony gets finished kissing the bricks, he will be summoned to the Oval Office.

End that speculation!

ESPN - NASCAR hits Stewart for $25,000, 25 points - Nascar

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Tony Stewart was fined $25,000 and docked 25 points by NASCAR on Tuesday for cursing during his television interview after his win at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Stewart, who had just scored his second victory in three years at his hometown race track, was soaking up the adoration from the throng of orange-clad fans when he dedicated the win to them.

"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands who pull for me every week and take all the (expletive) from everybody else,'' he said.

The curse came on ESPN's first Nextel Cup broadcast since 2000.

NASCAR, which called the language inappropriate and said Stewart's actions were detrimental to stock-car racing, also docked car owner Joe Gibbs 25 points. It follows a precedent that started in 2002, when crew chief Chad Knaus was penalized for cursing on TV.

The penalties escalated over the next few seasons, and Dale Earnhardt Jr. was knocked out of the points lead when he was docked 25 points for cursing after his 2004 win at Talladega.

The penalty doesn't hurt Stewart in the standings. He is currently fifth in the points, and the deduction didn't drop him.

But sixth-place Carl Edwards is now only 17 points away from him. The top 12 drivers in the standings after the Sept. 8 race in Richmond make the Chase for the championship. "Heaven forbid you actually have fun in life.''

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
    I cater to the Regs!

I didn't know that they can be penalized for cussing in interviews.

Robby Gordon to the hauler please!

Hot headed Robby Gordon might not be racing at Pocono today,
    NASCAR.COM - Harvick wins in Canada; Gordon fumes at finish - Aug 4, 2007
    Harvick wins in Canada; Gordon fumes at finish
    By Jenna Fryer, The Associated Press
    August 4, 2007
    09:52 PM EDT
    Save Article Email Article Print Article RSS
    type size: + -

MONTREAL -- Kevin Harvick held off hometown star Patrick Carpentier to win the inaugural Busch Series race in Canada on Saturday, but Robby Gordon defiantly tried to claim the victory in a controversial finish that thrilled the crowd and infuriated NASCAR.

Marcos Ambrose was headed toward what would have been his first NASCAR victory when Gordon passed him after a restart with four laps to go as several cars crashed behind them. Gordon was out front for mere seconds before Ambrose nudged him from behind to send him into a spin as Ambrose reclaimed the lead.

Gordon was stuck idling on the historic Circuit Gilles Villeneuve as the field roared by him under caution. When he recovered, he raced back to the front and gave Ambrose a retaliatory bump, then tried to move into the first position behind the pace car.
    Robert Laberge/Getty Images
    Confusing ending

Three drivers did burnouts as the final laps of Montreal's inaugural Busch race left most viewers speechless.

* Complete story, click here

Gordon believed he was in first -- and at worst, second -- when the caution waved. But NASCAR said the spin left him unable to maintain his position and ordered him back to 13th.

He refused to drop back, and was in the second position behind Ambrose when the race resumed with three to go. NASCAR immediately stopped scoring him, but Gordon continued to race on.

Gordon knocked Ambrose out of his way and moved into the unofficial lead, but NASCAR refused to acknowledge him and waved the black flag every time he sped past the flagstand.

Andy Pilgrim was behind Gordon but ran out of gas, putting Harvick into the lead with Montreal native Carpentier right behind him. Carpentier made an attempt to get past Harvick, but when the move failed, he faded back and never mounted another challenge as Harvick rolled to the win.

But Gordon was also celebrating, doing victory burnouts on the track at the same time as Harvick.

"I won the race," Gordon said after exiting his car.

NASCAR officials left the scoring tower and went straight to their office, where Gordon met them minutes after climbing from his car. He left the meeting with a copy of the rule book, but he was still seething.

"You always go back to your position if you get spun out, and [Ambrose] spun me under the caution," Gordon said. "They told me originally to go back to second place, and I went back to second place. Then halfway around the last [caution] lap, they said to go back to 13th place or 14th place, something like that.

"I was never running 13th or 14th, so I don't know what to say."

NASCAR president Mike Helton and Robin Pemberton, vice president of competition, declined to comment when they left their office after the meeting with Gordon. The executives headed straight to Pocono, Pa., for Sunday's Nextel Cup event, and there was rampant garage speculation that Gordon will be suspended from the event.

Max Papis finished third, Canadian Ron Fellows was fourth and Stephen Leicht rounded out the top five. Ambrose, who should have won, wound up seventh.

The wild ending capped a brilliant weekend for NASCAR and Stock Car Montreal in their first partnership. A crowd of 68,150 began packing the grandstands hours before the race, and event organizers said the walk-up crowd was the best the circuit has ever drawn.

Although the annual Formula One event draws upward of 100,000 fans, organizers were ecstatic with their two-day total of 129,473 because no one was certain how the open-wheel crazed nation would accept the full-bodied stock cars.

"This has been better than we could have dreamed for," general manager Martin Spalding said.

NASCAR chairman Brian France agreed, as he and top series officials spent Saturday mingling and marveling over the reception.

"They have run big events here before, so we expected it to be an organized, well-done affair," France said. "And it has been."

This is NASCAR's second international trip -- the Busch Series has raced in Mexico City since 2005 -- as France tries to promote the brand on foreign soil. It helped tremendously that Carpentier and Fellows, two fan favorites, were in contention for the win and the crowd roared with approval every time they passed by.

"I could tell it was [Carpentier] behind me because the grandstands were waving everything they had at him," Harvick said. "I knew it wasn't for me."

I have to say Robby Gordon surprised me no end, and I had to laugh at the doughnuts!
    I cater to the Regs!

+ Reply to Thread