+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: BCS Championship

I saw this article in my local paper.

Ohio stores stock up on gator meat

NEW YORK (AP) -- Some Ohio stores are stocking up on alligator meat in anticipation of demand from Ohio State fans planning pregame feasts for Monday's championship between the top-ranked Buckeyes and the No. 2 Florida Gators.

Akron's West Point Market is selling alligator meat for $14.99 a pound. Columbus-area Meijer stores are selling frozen alligator fillets for $6.99 a pound, telling customers in an advertisement to "bring home your own slice of gator." The advertisement for the Meijer promotion includes a drawing of a snarling buckeye nut with the tail of an alligator sticking out of its mouth.

Meijer stores also are promoting "tailgator" parties on Saturday.

Doug Fulton, West Point's manager of meat, seafood and oven-ready food -- and a University of Florida graduate -- said he has been cooking and serving gator for years. Fulton, a professional chef for 17 years, is quick to note that alligator does not taste like chicken.

"It's more of a chicken texture, but I tell people it tastes like alligator," he said.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....gatormeat.ap/
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I just got back from Meijer's and was coming in here to post that veej.

MRD
    You should try it. Alligator meat cooked correctly is delicious. Florida and Louisiana now have farm raised alligator and the meat is becoming more widely available. It's also non fatty and healthy.

We love it and NO its not cannibalism for me. I'm not eating the Football players. Just the alligators that are all over the state, either raised in farms, or pushed out of their natural habitat by over population, uncontrolled growth and development and show up on someones doorstep, hoping for a small animal appetizer. We have eaten Gator Tail and Swamp Cabbage for generations. Nothing better than a true, Florida Cracker meal. UMMMM, UMMMM. That's one of the few things I miss now about my old state. Can't get swamp cabbage here and hard to find good gator tail.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fanatic
    My dear rosie dog - your question has probably been answered by now, but Randy Shannon, UM's defensive coordinator, took the head coaching job. I also hate UM, I still think of the camoflauge clad Canes of my 80s and 90s childhood - back when 2 Live Crew's Luther Campbell used to pick their QBs - and I always hated that team. I am glad to see a black coach get a head coaching job, though - always have to support some more diversity in the ranks. Who knows? Maybe one day the earth's axis will tilt and a woman will get a football coaching job.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by DagnyTaggart;2196722;
    My dear rosie dog - your question has probably been answered by now, but Randy Shannon, UM's defensive coordinator, took the head coaching job. I also hate UM, I still think of the camoflauge clad Canes of my 80s and 90s childhood - back when 2 Live Crew's Luther Campbell used to pick their QBs - and I always hated that team. I am glad to see a black coach get a head coaching job, though - always have to support some more diversity in the ranks. Who knows? Maybe one day the earth's axis will tilt and a woman will get a football coaching job.
    THe earth's axis would have to tilt. College football, heck, all football is a man's game and I doubt I live long enough to see a woman coach although, I think there would be some that could do it.
    I too like to see more diversity with head coaches now. Thanks for the info. I had googled UM and found that out, but I appreciate the answer Oh, I call UM "The Thugs". Can't stand them, never have, never will. I'm glad we don't play them.

As for that Gator meat Unk and Veejer, go get some. You know they say: "you are what you eat".

I've eaten my share of it, so that must be why I'm a GATOR!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2197235;
    As for that Gator meat Unk and Veejer, go get some.
    We'll have plenty of it Monday night. There's a buffet we're attending out in Arizona and we're going to have our fill of it.

GO BUCKS!

Last edited by Unklescott; 01-06-2007 at 10:56 PM.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    As I've stated many times before, I don't care for football but I come into this thread just to "watch" everyone get all fired up over the Ohio vs. Florida game!!!! Heck, I may even watch it just so I could feel like I'm truly participating in this thread!!

Everyone must remember to play nice after the ballgame is over though!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

This is why I love college sports. The rivalries and smack talk is fun!

Game Day!

It's finally arrived! Game day! There's quite an atmosphere here in Columbus. Everyone will be decked out in Scarlet & Gray at work. I have my game day outfit ready to go. I'll be taking a television to work so my second shift staff and any customers we might happen to have at the restaurant can watch. Once again I say:

GO BUCKS!

Drive, drive on down the field
    Men of Scarlet and Gray
    Don't let them through that line
    We've got to win this game today!

Smash through to victory
    We'll cheer you as you go
    Our honor defend,
    We will fight to the end for

OHIO

"The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread