+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: BCS Championship

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2191968;
    .....and after having a coach only in his 2nd year at our school,.....
    And just exactly where did Urban Meyer learn his trade?
    # Born: Ashtabula, Ohio Bachelor's degree: University of Cincinnati, 1986.
    # Master's degree: Ohio State University, 1988.
    # First head coaching job: Bowling Green
    # Family: Met his wife, Shelley, while attending UC.
    # First job: Coaching tight ends and receivers at Ohio State as a graduate assistant from 1986-87.
    From gainesville.com
    GO BUCKS!

And we were ranked #2 during the regular season until Auburn beat us.
    Not bad. Not as good as #1 wire to wire, but not bad.
    You Ohio State guys were just looking for another easy win over Michigan
    Tsk. I can't believe that Unk let you get away with THAT! There is no such thing as an easy win over Michigan, and every Buckeye and Wolverine knows it.
    And we won our conference (did Michigan do that?) and after having a coach only in his 2nd year at our school
    Well, no, Ohio State won the Big Ten. Michigan tied with Wisconsin for 2nd. And for the record, I think Tress was in his second year at Ohio State when we last won the BCS.

Wait a second . . . are you saying that I'm saying that Michigan should be in the Championship game???? I've NEVER said that!

Whatever happens,
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Fiesta Bowl = one of the best games I've ever seen. What a wild 4th quarter...what a gutsy call by Boise St. to go for the 2 point conversion in overtime, and a great Statue of Liberty play to win the game. Outstanding.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina;2192305;
    Fiesta Bowl = one of the best games I've ever seen. What a wild 4th quarter...what a gutsy call by Boise St. to go for the 2 point conversion in overtime, and a great Statue of Liberty play to win the game. Outstanding.
    mrdobolina...I don't even care for football and I started watching this in the 4th quarter and that was an unbelievable game!!!! I was jumping up and down ....first year coach did great!!!!.....and then Ian Johnson proposed to his girlfriend...I'm a sucker for a televised proposal....(BTW, she said yes!)
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Great finish!! After suffering through Wisconsin's horrible play (glad they won, I just don't know how they did it ) and Michigan's humiliation, I had just about sworn off of the lesser bowls, but wanted to watch the first quarter of the OU/BSU game, just to see if the Broncos could make it close for a little while. I got hooked, and the rest is history!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    And just exactly where did Urban Meyer learn his trade?

Quote:
    # Born: Ashtabula, Ohio Bachelor's degree: University of Cincinnati, 1986.
    # Master's degree: Ohio State University, 1988.
    # First head coaching job: Bowling Green
    # Family: Met his wife, Shelley, while attending UC.
    # First job: Coaching tight ends and receivers at Ohio State as a graduate assistant from 1986-87.
    From gainesville.com

You forgot to mention Utah. But hey, THANKS A BUNCH for training him so well for us. He's been a good fit for Florida. He's been a much better coach than Zook and he's getting us past the "I wish we still had Spurrier" crap.

Maybe the Ohio State background gives him some insight for next weeks game. I sure hope so.

Not many coaches can turn a team around and get them to the Nat'l Game in only 2 seasons. For that I truly admire him. Oh that and WINNING OUR CONFERENCE. one of the toughest conferences in NCAA football and that is not just my opinion, but coaches, sports anyalists and others.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fanatic
    Gosh I hope that Master's degree from Ohio State doesn't mean Meyer's what we call 'on the slow side.' Great coach, anyway. Thanks for the export.

It's really easy for Ohio State fans to be all kinds of confident - you are undefeated, and we are the underdog. Luckily, lots of us love being the underdog. But if we lose the game, we can cry ourselves to sleep with tears of orange and blue for this year's basketball national championship and - for a whole bunch of us cross-over fans - the Heat championship.

And for the sake of Pete - you saw what happened with the Dolphins and Saban - leave us Floridians (ex) alone for a few days.

Gosh I hope that Master's degree from Ohio State doesn't mean Meyer's what we call 'on the slow side.'
    You're evil!
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by DagnyTaggart;2193916;
    Gosh I hope that Master's degree from Ohio State doesn't mean Meyer's what we call 'on the slow side.' Great coach, anyway. Thanks for the export.

It's really easy for Ohio State fans to be all kinds of confident - you are undefeated, and we are the underdog. Luckily, lots of us love being the underdog. But if we lose the game, we can cry ourselves to sleep with tears of orange and blue for this year's basketball national championship and - for a whole bunch of us cross-over fans - the Heat championship.

And for the sake of Pete - you saw what happened with the Dolphins and Saban - leave us Floridians (ex) alone for a few days.
    Alabama seems to have quite the ties with Miami. My Alabama friends were happy to see Shula go, but are not quite sure about getting Saban. You know they really tried to lure Spurrier away from SC.

Dagny, I loved your post and you are right, we are the underdog, but for as long as I've been following Florida football (practically since birth, everything in our house on Sat. in the fall hinged around Florida games) we've been the underdog most years. So its a spot we are comfortable with and makes for an even better victory when we do come out of that underdog spot.

I've gotten used to it. Florida is the Rodney Dangerfield of college football. NO matter what we do, no matter how good a team we have, we get no respect. The @#$#@ announcers this year proved that. Victory after victory, they still begrudged each one to us and were full of crap about us during all the games. I got so flipping tired of hearing how wonderful each team we played was and with one exception, we beat all those teams they raved on and on about. Now those teams are all back at school, hitting the books and we are in Arizona and we still get no respect. That's ok. I've always pulled for the underdog in any situtation which is why I'm such a Florida fan I guess.

And Meyer did something Zook couldn't do, he has exorcised the Spurrier ghost from Gainesville which was near impossible to do. Not that Spurrier wasn't great and doesn't deserve a spot in all Florida hearts (mine forever, especially now that he's coaching up the road from me and I can go see Florida play there next year), but we needed to let Spurrier go and get on with it and Meyer has DEFINETLY done that this year.

I do miss the visor. Meyer's not nearly as dramatic on the sidelines. But maybe its the theatrics that the players don't need and a coach that can stay level headed and keep us on track to even more conferences wins and national games.

Quite the coaching changeup lately. Who took the job at UM? Or have they found anyone yet? I tried to watch the Boise Bowl, but between the Blue Field and the hurricanes, I couldn't stand to watch it. I have never been a U of Miami fan. EVER
    Auburn did good in their bowl game and to think that they were calling for Tubervilles head a few seasons ago.

I don't think Alabama's going to be happy with any coach they get unless they figure out a way to bring the Bear back from the dead.

And I think after next year, FSU will be looking for a new head coach. I hope Tommy Bowden stays at Clemson and doesn't get lured away to continue the Bowden dynasty in Tallahassee.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    I don't think Alabama's going to be happy with any coach they get unless they figure out a way to bring the Bear back from the dead.
    Amen to that! I'm not a football watcher and even I know that is true!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread