+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Basketball 2006

FORT Fogey

Re: Basketball 2006

I am a Bears fan ... they lost the Super Bowl.

I am an Orioles fan ... they just always lose.

I'm thiking I may become a Spurs fan from this point forward. It'll help the Cavs.

I don't see the Cavs pulling off 4 straight like they did against Detroit.

FORT Fogey

I will not pile on Mike Brown in some sort of "He needs to be fired! We'd be winning if it wasn't for him" kind of way. But he's been making some decisions in the past two games which just don't make a lot of sense. I think it would be nice of some of the media heat went on him rather than LeBron and co. It just seems like in many ways, he's coaching for pre-season or the regular season instead of the finals. He's going exclusively by the text book recommendations for every situation rather than applying what makes sense for the situation.

The most obvious example of that is benching LeBron last night after two fouls. Yes, the text book says that is what you do. But what good did it do? In the finals, it makes more sense to let him play and face the consequences if it comes to that rather than play it slow and cautious - especially when the score board is showing by the second just how much his absence on the floor is being felt.

The decisions he's making in playing time for some of the other guys also makes no sense at all. In both games 1 and 2, Gooden has been delivering consistently on offense. When the ball gets in his hands, it's going through the hoop -- which is more than can be said for Z, Marshall, and a few others. He's also getting the offensive rebounds. The scoreboard shows it when Drew is sitting -- the Cavs are missing shots, running to the other end to defend, and watching the deficit get larger and larger. Brown was asked about it in the press conference last night, and his answer? Drew is making mistakes on defense.

Rather than getting caught up in the stupidity of what sounded from Brown like "I gotta teach the guy a lesson" in the middle of the FINALS, I'll let that comment lead me to asking the question again -- Why isn't Eric Snow getting more playing time? He's the defender that can handle Parker (if anyone can right now). So, if it's worth it to sacrifice Gooden's offense for strong defense, why isn't it worth it to sacrifice Snow's lack of offense for his strong defense and leadership? Heck, put the two of them in at the same time, and they'll cancel each other's weaknesses out!

Okay, I fell better now that I've vented. I don't think Brown needs to be fired - but I do think he needs to be challenged.

Someone needs to handle Tony Parker. I really don't care who at this point, but my god he is whipping our butts. The Spurs are dancing circles around the Cavs right now.

SOMEONE DO SOMETHING!!!!! hehe

FORT Fogey

The only way to handle Tony Parker right now is to break his leg. Short of that, maybe whispering in Tim Duncan's ear "Tony's going to get MVP instead of you" will work ... only Duncan is a humble enough guy, he'd probably be happy about that.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2436693;
    The only way to handle Tony Parker right now is to break his leg. Short of that, maybe whispering in Tim Duncan's ear "Tony's going to get MVP instead of you" will work ... only Duncan is a humble enough guy, he'd probably be happy about that.
    Where's Tanya Harding when you need her?

I am neither a Cavs nor a Spurs fan, but I enjoy watching both teams. I so much wanted to see LeBron do well in this series. Mike Brown's decision to bench him was a big mistake - he needed to rely on LeBron's basketball smarts and let him play.

Here's hoping they have a better time in Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2436693;
    Well, instead of breaking his leg, someone could convince Eva Longoria to dump him, lol!
    I am just kidding. I like Eva . I am just a desperate Cavs fan!!!

FORT Fogey

I don't care Eva. That's why the "break his leg" approach is so appealing to me as the tactic to handle Tony Parker. Then, not only do we shut him down (who am I kidding, the way the guy is playing, he'd probably score 45+ points on a broken leg!) but then he'd have to hobble down the aisle with Eva, and a first dance would be out of the question.

Let's try this again.
    GO CAVS!!!

The Spurs get 10 straight and take the lead at the half? Come on Cavs, let's get it together.

+ Reply to Thread