+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Basketball 2006

Re: Basketball 2006

I'm actually a Spurs fan, but I would not be upset to see LeBron win his first of what I'm sure will be many titles.

But, chin up there, Cavs fans. First, they are in SA. Secondly, they haven't been to the finals before, so they are understandably adjusting to the new situation and atmosphere. And, they aren't doing badly, they just aren't doing great, either. This the first of a best of seven series, and as they've shown in earlier playoff rounds, they can bounce back, even if they lose this game decisively.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2432747;
    77 isn't the issue -- Curiosity got the best of me, and I just looked it up. Superior Ave is also known as US Highway 6 -- that's out problem.

GO CAVS!!!!! I want a big game from Gooden tonight. He entertains me in interviews, and the only way the press is going to given him any attention is if he has a big game.
    That is an interesting. I guess I never realized that Superior Ave was part of the federal system.

Anywho, even though we are down we will come back!

Anyone going to the Q to watch game 2?

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;2433104;
    Sadly I DO go Downtown often.. as I live 12 min away and have to drive 90/2/77 daily.. .and ive never seen it.. so it can't be THAT big or that much of an 'eyesore'. I haven't even been a huge James fan.. but I will say this past season he HAS impressed me not only with his recent game play (Way to go guys making the finals!!) but with his recent post-game comments. He HAS matured in to a young man and gentleman.. hope his mother can take a lesson from her son

On that note.. screw the powers that be why all the hate for Cleveland! We have ALWAYS been proud of our spots teams in whatever they have done. Its time the rest of the country took note.. no fairweather fans here.

GO CAVS!
    and Go tribe on a side note
    Well I must be blind!! I didn't see the banner (I read about it in the paper) and I went to the Jake last night for the Indians/Royals (damn them!!) game! If I had to drive 90/2/77 every day--in light of all the road work/traffic/accidents--I would have to open a vein! I don't know how you do it...I come up from the southeast and try to contain my road rage on 306 but I do lose it at 422! I'm always looking for 'less stressful' ways to get to work!
    GO CAVS!! All the way...LeBron always handles himself nicely and his mother needs MORE than a lesson from her son!! (I can 'do' her walk! )
    That's okay...tonight is out of the way and the Cavs have gotten it out of their system...the will OWN it!! They will....It's gonna be OUR time!

The Pistons series started the same way and the Cavs were being counted out. I have faith in the Cavs,

FORT Fogey

Hey ... at least I got post-game interviews with Gooden.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beccarella;2433658;
    Well I must be blind!! I didn't see the banner (I read about it in the paper) and I went to the Jake last night for the Indians/Royals (damn them!!) game! If I had to drive 90/2/77 every day--in light of all the road work/traffic/accidents--I would have to open a vein! I don't know how you do it...I come up from the southeast and try to contain my road rage on 306 but I do lose it at 422! I'm always looking for 'less stressful' ways to get to work!
    GO CAVS!! All the way...LeBron always handles himself nicely and his mother needs MORE than a lesson from her son!! (I can 'do' her walk! )
    That's okay...tonight is out of the way and the Cavs have gotten it out of their system...the will OWN it!! They will....It's gonna be OUR time!
    Meet ya at the Hard Rock and we will go have a Lookie!
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2433108;
    As I see it, LeBron has always shown that maturity. The way he politely ripped the reporter who insisted he had to be somewhat dissapointed to get Cleveland the night of the lottery showed that. I agree that Gloria could not have been the source of most of that character. But that guy has had some GREAT coaches / mentors around him throughout his life that have instilled in him some great and admirable qualities -- primarily loyalty and a proper mix of humility and confidence.
    Here is an article I read recently comparing LeBron and Kobe. I couldn't agree more.

FOX Sports on MSN - NBA - Kobe should take a page from LeBron's book

Kobe should take a page from LeBron's book
    Mark Kriegel
    FOXSports.com, Updated 5 days ago

As viewed from Los Angeles, a town that has been more egregiously indulgent of Kobe Bryant than any of its teen starlets, the Cavaliers post-game press conference came as a welcome event. After Cleveland's improbable victory over the Detroit Pistons, one would expect LeBron James at the podium. Less expected, however, was one Daniel "Boobie" Gibson, a second-round pick out of Texas.

At 21, Boobie's not much. He's neither big, nor, as his draft status suggests, did he arrive in Cleveland with much of a rep. In fact, he spent most of his rookie season — the regular portion of which concluded with averages of 16.5 minutes and 4.5 points — on the bench.

In other words, he's exactly the kind of scrub Kobe Bryant would whine about having to play with.

But there he was, the unlikely hero of an historic upset. His line in the boxscore included 31 points, 19 in the fourth quarter when Detroit and Rasheed Wallace imploded for the last time.

When asked to what he attributed his great good fortune, Gibson could not have been more clear.

"From day one," he said, "LeBron's been in my corner."

I found myself wondering if Kobe was watching. I sure hoped he was, as he had subjected me to a miserable couple of days during which he thought to air his demands. Said demands might be summarized thusly:

Trade me. I want to be a Laker. Trade me. I want to be a Laker. Trade me. I want to be a Laker for life.

Lindsay Lohan, recently arrested on suspicion of drunk driving, made more sense when she cracked up her convertible on Sunset.

In keeping with this starlet theme, one can't help but think the timing of the tantrum had something to do with the ascent of James and the Cavaliers. Perhaps Kobe couldn't stand the lack of attention this time of year. Or, perhaps he knows that the comparison with LeBron James does not flatter him at all.

Bryant keeps complaining about the Lakers' lack of talent. But with the case of Boobie Gibson now in evidence, I would submit that there's not much difference between the talent level surrounding James and Bryant. In fact, let's dispatch right here with the fictitious notion that the Lakers without Kobe are a bunch of scrubs. LeBron James doesn't have anyone nearly as talented as Lamar Odom. The difference is how each star treats the talent around him.

Can you imagine any of the Lakers saying about Kobe what Gibson said about LeBron?

No.

Boobie Gibson went on about how James would encourage him after practice. "Keep shooting," he told the rookie. "Don't worry about nothing."

"My teammates," said James, "(are) my family."

To watch the Cleveland-Detroit series was to acknowledge James' greatness. He shoots when he has to, and from as far as need be. He can attack the rim like Bryant, but see the court like Magic Johnson. Still, his strength and quickness suggest yet another Laker legend, James Worthy. But even more striking than his individual attributes was the unmistakable sense that guys liked playing with, and for, LeBron James.

Last month, on the eve of the Cavaliers engagement with the Nets, Richard Jefferson was asked to assess the degree of difficulty in trying to guard James. The key, said Jefferson, was "he gets his teammates involved...It's not just the LeBron show. He's not a Kobe Bryant where he's just going to go out there and score at all costs."

Great players are supposed to endow the players around them with greatness. Kobe Bryant does not. While James is about winning, Kobe is about Kobe.

In relation to his teammates, Bryant inhabits a parallel universe, separate and unequal. Perhaps you recall former Laker Chucky Atkins remarking with some frustration, "Kobe's the GM of this team." I'll not forget the way he showed up his teammate, Luke Walton, who had the temerity to pass the ball back to him during an overtime loss to the Knicks. And while there's some fantastic revisionism emanating from the Lakers' high command, you may remember that even his own coach couldn't stand him.

You think anything has really changed?

Kobe Bryant doesn't instill confidence in the guys in the locker room. He communicates by text message.

In fairness, it's worth mentioning that Bryant plays in the West, where the Cavaliers would have had a much more difficult time. Also, there were injuries to key Lakers this past season, especially the one to Lamar Odom. But this idea that Bryant cannot deign to trust his teammates is nonsense. No one's asking him to trust Boobie Gibson. Again, put Bryant in context: this is a guy who couldn't trust Shaquille O'Neal.

Kobe Bryant is going to be 29 soon, and entering his 12th NBA season. He provided a partial template for LeBron James. He was the first, a basketball prodigy with a huge sneaker deal before he left high school.

James is only 22, and about to play in his first Finals. But suddenly this gap in age and experience counts for nothing. It is James who now sets the example. In watching him, Bryant may yet learn the difference between a starlet and a star.
    Last edited by Blues Songstres; 06-09-2007 at 05:43 PM.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Thanks for posting that! SO nice to see some great Ohio (Clevleand) press, maybe the rest of the country will start to see what us Clevelanders have known all along as sports fans
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FORT Fogey

Did anyone else see LeBron discussing The Sopranos today during the press conference? It was one of the most entertaining things I've ever seen in a press conference like that. Someone asked him a question about the game tomorrow night going up against the Sopranos finale, and he was talking about Tivoing it, what his friends thought would happen to Tony, what he hoped would happen, etc. He absolutely lit up at the chance to talk to the press about something other than the Spurs defense. He obviously enjoys analyzing TV quite a bit -- I'm thinking he needs to join FORT.

GO CAVS!!!

+ Reply to Thread