+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Basketball 2006

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Re: Basketball 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Cwebb;2430163;
    On the one hand, I don't want him to retire. I still hold out a bit of hopes for a ring and I know he wants to win one desperately. Plus, if he retires I don't know what to do!!! I can't watch another game without thinking, "Cwebb's not there anymore." While I am a fan of a number of other players (Dirk Nowitzki ...why must I love chokers?), its not the same.
    I know how you feel. I was sad when he left Sacramento, but was glad when he went to Detroit. He did seem to be gelling with those guys... and he does deserve a ring.

at the choker comment. You and me both.

FORT Fogey

Now this has to be one of the craziest side stories to come out of the NBA finals. I just heard on the Cleveland sports radio station that the governor of Ohio has travelled up to Cleveland today to lend his support to an effort fighting the federal highway administration. Apparently, the feds want to force Nike / Cleveland to take down the "We are all witness" banner that has hung from the Terminal Tower across from the Cavs arena for a couple of years now. For anyone who does not make regular trips to downtown Cleveland (you don't know what you're missing! ) the ad is one of those rare beautiful ads that you look at more as art than advertising. It's a black and white shot of LeBron going up for a dunk - reminiscent of the famous Jordan ad, but not copying it. It very simply says "we are all witness" with a Nike swoosh.

It's a beautiful ad, has given the city of Cleveland a lot of pride, and ads to the atmosphere in the area around the arena. But the feds (I thought all the Texas folks from the administration had left!) apparently have decided after a couple of years of it hanging, it's apparently an ... eyesore? I don't get it! But I'm still a witness, and I still have my sign. It is beautifying my basement -- not being an eyesore.

Oh my.... did they say it had caused accidents????

Is this the sign Veruka?

I believe the reason for taking down the sign is the limitations of the size of signs allowed on federal highways. They are doing the same thing here in downtown Columbus. There are some neat ads on the sides of buildings downtown that just happen to be on a street that is a state or federal highway. The feds are all over the city on it.

FORT Fogey

Yep, that's the one. I can't think of anything that has ever been put on display in the city of Cleveland that has induced the sense of pride that sign does. I'd have to check on it, but I'd be shocked if the streets that go by it are in fact federal highways. I realize the federal highway system is more expansive than just the interstates we usually think of ... but it's in the heart of down town.

We had something similar with Barry Sanders and Steve Yzerman.

Last edited by Broadway; 06-06-2007 at 09:06 PM.

Oh, Stevie Y. Still my favorite, after all these years, and retirement too. It's how we spell hockey, even in Boston.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

FORT Fogey

I know that other cities have ads like that, and that it's a normal part of sports marketing. In Cleveland, we're a bit more attached to our LeBron sign (psychotically attached perhaps) because we've embraced our "loser" status for so long. Even with the years he's already been in the NBA (and the fame he achieved as a high school player) it's still hard for us to get our heads around the fact that other people in other cities ... even non-basketball fans ... know who LeBron is. We're just not used to being the home of winners and stars. We try to hang on to Troy Smith since we raised him, but we've got to even concede there that Columbus deserves to claim the Heisman winner, and not us. So when you consider how strange it is for us to have a star like that playing in our town all the time instead of just once or twice a year on very special occasions, and the fact that we raised him here ... well, that's why we're moved to bring in the governor for re-enforcement to protect our sign.

We felt the same way about Barry and our Lions. And I do completely understand the protectiveness surrounding that sign. My sister used to live in Medina and I've experienced the support (and former desperation) that that city has for its teams.

Hey... look closely and you can see me waving from my office. The RenCen office building to the front right.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2432395;
    Hey... look closely and you can see me waving from my office. The RenCen office building to the front right.
    That was the best dress you had for a photo shoot? We need to get you Wardrobe!
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

+ Reply to Thread