+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Basketball 2006

Oh, MrsCWebb.... are you going to be rooting for the Pistons now that Chris Webber has joined the hometown team??
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2207187;
    Oh, MrsCWebb.... are you going to be rooting for the Pistons now that Chris Webber has joined the hometown team??
    I'm sooooo LATE in responding....well, OF COURSE!!! I'm so glad he's returning home, there were no other places I would've been more satisfied with than his own hometown. If and when he retires, I would love for him to be in town that has meanings to him whether it be professionally and/or personally.

I have to support my husband wherever he goes, but gosh, it was TORTURE to actually root for the Sixers. There were sooooo many times I just cringed watching them, but I'm glad that he got out of that situation. Well, its not too early to chant GO PISTONS ......hopefully, I won't be another jinx.....again. No no no! I won't, back to being optimistic again!

Charles Barkley makes me laugh, that chump. He stated that nobody in the east has a viable shot, only Detroit/Miami have a decent shot yet you Got the Raptors who have a beter record then the Miami and are 10-5 this month not to mention Getting everyone healthy for the playoff run.

Do your homework, If not then don't talk about facts who know nothin about.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Record t'a'int everything, jecado. Look at my Pistons last year.

You've been good luck so far, MrsC. Webb's getting in his groove with the team.. it's been fun to watch.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

The Toronto Raptors have woken up after a first half slumber. They have won five in a row and are the only team in their division with a winning record.

Yes, The Raptors are improving and taking names. They showed Kobe why there defence improved in a span of a month and tonite against Detroit, we will play hard even though it's back to back Games.

Next week we face Chicago & NJ.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Yeah my fav. team is the cavaliers but their so inconsistent, I hope they can pull theirselves together.

The trade deadline is this afternoon.

NBA.com Remembering D.J.

Remembering D.J.
    NEW YORK, Feb. 22, 2007 -- Dennis Johnson, a three-time NBA champion as a member of the Seattle Supersonics and Boston Celtics and the head coach of the D-League's Austin Toros, passed away today from a heart attack. He was 52 years old.

During his 13-year playing career with Seattle, Phoenix and Boston, Johnson established himself as one of the best defensive guards in the league. "D.J." combined his bulk with rocket-launcher legs to frequently win battles against players nearly a foot taller.

His quick hands and feet made him a constant threat to strip the ball from opponents. He always seemed to be in the middle of the action. He could post up, crash the boards for rebounds and tip-ins, hit from the outside and lead the fast break. And he could pass with the best of the league's playmakers.

Johnson was named to five All-Star teams and nine straight All-Defensive Teams. He was a member of three NBA championship squads, and his postseason heroics earned him a reputation as a money player. He was imbued with a contagious competitiveness. "I'm a winner," he once said. "I put my heart into the game. I hate to lose. I accept it when it comes, but I still hate it. That's the way I am."

In 1978, Seattle squandered a three-games-to-two lead against the Washington Bullets, losing in seven games. The following year, they would not be denied.

Johnson improved his scoring to 15.9 points per game and made his first appearances on both the All-Star and All-Defensive teams. In a rematch against the Bullets in the 1979 NBA Finals, Seattle dropped the first contest but won the next four to claim the team's first championship. Johnson, who scored 32 points in a Game 4 overtime victory, was named Finals MVP.

Johnson would play one more season in Seattle before being sent to Phoenix for All-Star guard Paul Westphal. D.J. would make two consecutive All-Star appearances of his own for the Suns. In his first year in Phoenix, Johnson guided the Suns to a Pacific Division title over the Lakers.

Johnson was traded following the 1982-83 season to Boston, where he would win two more championships, including one as a member of the 1986 Celtics team many consider to be one of the best teams in NBA history.

Johnson's postseason heroics -- his shutting down of Magic Johnson in the 1984 Finals; his buzzer-beating jumper to win Game 4 in the 1985 Finals against the Lakers; and his game-winning basket off Larry Bird's steal in Game 5 of the 1987 conference finals against Detroit -- placed him among the best-loved Celtics.

Johnson retired at age 35 after the 1989-90 season as the 11th player in NBA history to amass more than 15,000 points and 5,000 assists. In Sports Illustrated, teammate Bird, who was not known for lightly tossing around compliments, called Johnson "the best I've ever played with."

Johnson stayed on as a scout for the Celtics and became an assistant coach in 1993 and became an assistant with the Los Angeles Clippers in February 2000. He also coached in the D-League and was coaching the Austin Toros, the Celtics' D-League affiliate, at the time of his death.

There are few parting thoughts from the commissioner and former players.

If anyone can stop the Mavs this year, now would be the time to make that (false) claim. They seem to be on a mission. I've been rooting for them to win since I was a child, and I'm finally finding the strength to say I have little doubt that this is their year (especially after last year's debacle with Miami). Lildago can back me up.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

+ Reply to Thread