+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Basketball 2006

Re: Basketball 2006

Congrats to the Spurs for winning the NBA championship. They certainly deserve it. They dominated my Cavs and proved they are the NBA champs.

Yes, congrats to the Spurs.

The great thing about all of this is that Cleveland has seen a revival that is hasn't seen in years. The pure fact that the Cavs made it to the NBA finals was something we were not expecting in a million years. Let us hope that this is the beginning of something great!
    I must now devote all of my attention to Grady, Jeremy, and the rest of the Indians!

CLEVELAND ROCKS PEOPLE!!! CLEVELAND ROCKS!

P.S. Congrats to LeBron and family in welcoming Bryce Maximus early Thursday morning!!

FORT Fogey

Fellow Clevelanders ... Have any of you heard any inkling of discussion about the city doing any sort of rally for the team? I remember working downtown in the mid-90s when the Indians were regulars in post-season play. They city would always shut down public square and have rallies to wish them well in their play, and to cheer on the team when it was all over. I know the mayor did something last week and Danny Ferry attended. But other than that, I've heard of NOTHING. I think it's kind of insulting to the Cavs that the city will say "Go Cavs" and hang jerseys on the terminal tower ... but won't hold rallies, light the city up for national TV coverage, etc. Yes in this city, basketball has always been the third ranked sport. But come on!

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2441853;
    Fellow Clevelanders ... Have any of you heard any inkling of discussion about the city doing any sort of rally for the team? I remember working downtown in the mid-90s when the Indians were regulars in post-season play. They city would always shut down public square and have rallies to wish them well in their play, and to cheer on the team when it was all over. I know the mayor did something last week and Danny Ferry attended. But other than that, I've heard of NOTHING. I think it's kind of insulting to the Cavs that the city will say "Go Cavs" and hang jerseys on the terminal tower ... but won't hold rallies, light the city up for national TV coverage, etc. Yes in this city, basketball has always been the third ranked sport. But come on!
    I would gladly participate in any rally for the Cavs. They really deserve our thanks for what they have done for this city! The fact that the Q will have the first banner now hanging forever is just too exciting!!
    I do have to say though I think that the current mayor is somewhat of a party pooper. I don't see mayor Jackson saying yes to this without some major backup from the right people.

FORT Fogey

The city's official response to the Cavs is my only dissapointment in the whole thing. (well, that, and that stupid smile on Eva Longoria's face) If the Indians continue playing well this season, make it to the post-season, and the city goes back to their rally days for them, I'm throwing a temper tantrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2441935;
    The city's official response to the Cavs is my only dissapointment in the whole thing. (well, that, and that stupid smile on Eva Longoria's face) If the Indians continue playing well this season, make it to the post-season, and the city goes back to their rally days for them, I'm throwing a temper tantrum.
    I am with ya there! Just give me a call and we can throw a temper tantrum together on Superior right in front of city hall for all to see!!! LOL!!

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;2442409;
    I am with ya there! Just give me a call and we can throw a temper tantrum together on Superior right in front of city hall for all to see!!! LOL!!
    Sign me up too
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Donaghy under investigation for betting on NBA games
    ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 20, 2007, 2:56 PM ET

NBA referee Tim Donaghy is under investigation by the FBI for allegations that he bet on games that he officiated over the past two seasons and that he made calls affecting the point spread in games, multiple sources told ESPN.

Donaghy, a 13-year veteran of the league, is aware of the investigation and resigned from the NBA recently.

The NBA issued a brief statement Friday, saying: "We have been asked by the FBI, with whom we are working closely, not to comment on this matter at this time."

Closer look: Tim Donaghy

NBA experience: 13 years
    High school: Cardinal O'Hara (Springfield, Pa.; one of four NBA refs to attend O'Hara)
    College: Villanova, 1989
    Of note: In his first dozen seasons as an NBA referee, worked 704 regular-season games and 15 playoffs ... Also has seven years of CBA officiating experience ... Played varsity baseball at Villanova ... Participated in the NBA Read to Achieve program.

-- Source: NBA officials media guide

According to a law enforcement official, authorities are examining whether Donaghy -- whose identity was not revealed until Friday afternoon -- made calls to affect the point spread in games on which he or associates had wagered.

The law enforcement official, who spoke to The Associated Press on Friday on condition of anonymity, said the referee was aware of the investigation and had made arrangements to surrender as early as next week to face charges. The official, who did not identify the referee, is familiar with the investigation but was not authorized to speak publicly about the ongoing investigation.

The investigation first was reported Friday by the New York Post.

The law enforcement official said the bets involved thousands of dollars and were made on games during the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 seasons.

The FBI probe, which began recently, also involves allegations that the referee had connections to organized crime associates. Other arrests are expected, the official said.

The referee had a gambling problem, according to the official, and was approached by low-level mob associates through an acquaintance.

Nevada gambling regulators were not involved in an investigation and had no information about the allegations, said Jerry Markling, enforcement chief for the state Gaming Commission and Gaming Control Board.

Jay Kornegay, executive director of the sports book at the Las Vegas Hilton, said he had never seen any unusual activity in NBA betting, and was surprised not to have heard about an investigation until Friday.

"Whispers would have happened on the street, and we would have heard something," Kornegay said. "Any type of suspicious or unusual movements, you usually hear in the industry. We're so regulated and policed, any kind of suspicion would be discussed.

"We haven't seen anything like that in the NBA that I can remember," he said, "and we haven't been contacted by anybody."

Kornegay said legal sports betting in Nevada represents a fraction of sports betting worldwide, with 98.5 percent of all action taken outside the state. Clayton cited a 2005 estimate by the National Gambling Impact Study Commission that found $380 billion is wagered on illegal sports betting, compared with $2.25 billion in legal sports betting in Nevada.

Gambling long has been a problem in sports, and leagues have made a point of educating players of the potential pitfalls. The NBA, for example, discusses gambling at rookie orientation, even bringing in former mobster Michael Franceze to speak.

NBA commissioner David Stern had long objected to putting a team in Las Vegas because it permits betting on basketball, though earlier this year allowed Mayor Oscar Goodman to submit a proposal to owners on how the city would handle wagering on a team if it moved there.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

ESPN - FBI probes allegations that NBA ref bet on games - NBA
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

See... now that's the proof I needed. The Pistons should have been in the finals. Too many suspiciously crappy calls that were game-changing.

I say give the Pistons the title.

Frankly, I think this only goes to show what I long suspected, the Spurs won in spite of the officiating!
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

+ Reply to Thread