+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NFL Suspends Tennessee Titan player

NFL Suspends Tennessee Titan player

This story comes from www.NFL.com

Titans' Haynesworth gets five-game suspension

NEW YORK (Oct. 2, 2006) -- Albert Haynesworth of the Tennessee Titans has been suspended without pay for five games for flagrant unnecessary roughness against Andre Gurode of the Dallas Cowboys in Sunday's Cowboys-Titans game in Nashville, the league announced.

NFL Director of Football Operations Gene Washington issued the suspension, which is effective immediately. Haynesworth is eligible to return to the field on Nov. 19 for the Titans' game at Philadelphia.

Haynesworth was penalized and ejected from the game for the incident that occurred early in the third quarter. A flagrant personal foul for unnecessary roughness was called on Haynesworth after he twice kicked Gurode in the head following a 5-yard touchdown run by Julius Jones of the Cowboys.

Commissioner Roger Goodell said that misconduct will not be tolerated in the NFL.

"There is absolutely no place in the game, or anywhere else, for the inexcusable action that occurred in yesterday's Titans-Cowboys game," Commissioner Goodell said.
    Last edited by Cornedbeef; 10-02-2006 at 07:25 PM.

I have mixed feelings on the length of the suspension. On the one hand, it doesn't seem nearly long enough - I would rather have seen a full season, or even a full year. On the other hand, this is the most severe (by 2 and 1/2 times) penalty ever assessed to a player in the NFL for this type of infraction, so relatively speaking (in NFL terms) it appears appropriate.

I have heard on the news several times this evening that if Gurode wants to press assault and battery charges, the police are ready to go forward with that. It is just the luck of the draw that he didn't have a career ending injury, or even worse, the loss of his sight, or something equally severe.

The whole incident still has me shocked.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

I would've liked to seen a suspension for the full season. He was looking down at Gurode's exposed head as he stomped on it. Just wrong.

I wonder if the fact that Haynesworth apologized immediately following the game had anything to do with a lighter sentence?
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I hadn't heard about this yet. I'm floored. He kicked his exposed head? At least a season IMO. *rushes off to call my TN friends*

Unk, as the play was winding down, Gurode was on the ground and Haynesworth was hovering over him. Somehow his helmet came off (speculation that Haynesworth kicked it off) and you can see clearly Haynesworth stomping straight down on his head.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I just called my nephew and left a nice message about what a team of gangstas they have going.

His punishment wasn't hard enough IMO.

I think he should have had a lifelong suspension. It was a deliberate action. He only apologized in fear of punishment.

His suspension is over and he is playing against the Philadelphia Eagles today.

+ Reply to Thread