+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 44 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey 2006

Hockey 2006

The new regular season starts on October 4th and the exhibition season starts next week.

Corned Beef! My fellow Canadian!

I can't see my Oilers doing any better than last season. That was an awesome playoff season, even though we lost in the end.

With all the changes in the team roster now, who knows how my team will skate this season. I think it will be a mess.

Who are you rooting for?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Hey all!!
    Can't wait for the season to start!!
    We went to the local OHL team training camp a couple times to watch!
    Fun and made me anxious for the new season of NHL!!
    Go Habs Go!!
    ---------------------
    opps....

I'm so excited. As evidence by my display pic. I hope for a good season all around. Though I can't say i'm too excited about the schedule. Too many in-conference games.

Excited about the Preds chances this year, and how Montreal is progressing.

ANYWAY!

Oh. My. God.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=177223&hubname=

The New York Islanders will announce today that they have signed goalie Rick DiPietro to a 15-year, $67.5 million contract. The deal will pay DiPietro $4.5 million annually.

Islanders' owner Charles Wang, who was directly involved in the negotiations, had indicated that if DiPietro didn't sign by Friday, when the team opens training camp in Nova Scotia, that DiPietro would not play in the 2006-07 season.

DiPietro, who turns 25 next week, is a restricted free agent who could become unrestricted in two more seasons.

Last season, DiPietro went 30-24-5 with a 3.02 goals-against average and a .900 save percentage.

The deal is believed to be the longest in NHL history and second only in major North American pro sports to the $25-million, 25-year deal Magic Johnson signed with the NBA Lakers in 1981. It also tops the $87.5 million, 10-year contract the Islanders gave enigmatic centre Alexei Yashin in 2001.

''Clubs are free to make their own decsions within the confines laid out in the collective bargaining agreement and other applicable league rules,'' NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Canadian Press. ''Some decisions turn out well, others not so well. Time will tell whether this will be a good decision or a bad one for the Islanders.''

DiPietro is scheduled to receive $4.5 million in each season of the contract. With the value of the deal spread over the length of the contract, DiPietro's salary would rank eighth among NHL goaltenders for the coming season.

Chicago's Nikolai Khabibulin is currently the league's highest-paid goaltender at $6.75 million a year.

New York Newsday reports DiPietro is guaranteed the full $67.5 million if he suffers a career-ending injury, but it's not yet clear what would happen if he were to retire before the deal expires.

Meanwhile, the New York Post reports that the Islanders have also signed center Viktor Kozlov to a one-year deal.

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Holy Crap, DiPietro! I don't know if he's worth even close to that, but you could bet I'll be watching more closely this season.

Woohoo! I cannot wait for the season to start!!!! LET'S GO DEV-ILS!!!!!
    Could does not mean should

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel View Post
    I'm so excited. As evidence by my display pic. I hope for a good season all around. Though I can't say i'm too excited about the schedule. Too many in-conference games.
    I'm excited as well. I don't like so many in-conference games either.

Wow, I cannot believe Wang. Notice how the actual GM Garth Snow isn't mentioned. That is just way too many years.

Anyway, GO BRUINS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Corned Beef! My fellow Canadian!

I can't see my Oilers doing any better than last season. That was an awesome playoff season, even though we lost in the end.

With all the changes in the team roster now, who knows how my team will skate this season. I think it will be a mess.

Who are you rooting for?
    I'm picking for the Montreal Canadians, the Ottawa Senators and the Columbus Blue Jackets.
    Last edited by Cornedbeef; 09-12-2006 at 05:08 PM.

That Islander's deal is just crazy!
    15 years is a life time in hockey!
    ---------------------
    opps....

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple View Post
    Anyway, GO BRUINS GO!
    They went alright - went ahead and raised ticket prices after that craptacular season.

I still hate JJ.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 44 1234567891011 ... LastLast