+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey 2006

Quite a few online communities are voting for Rory Fitzpatrick in droves.

It's a funny idea, but I don't think it'll work.

My Eastern team

Saku Koivu, Olli Jokinen, Alexander Ovechkin, Sheldon Souray, Jay Bouwmeester, Olaf Kolzig

Write-in: Chris Higgins

Western

Steve Sullivan, Paul Kariya, Teemu Selanne, Lubomir Visnovsky, Scott Hannan, Tomas Vokoun

And...uh... Rory Fitzpatrick is my write-in. =D
    Last edited by Rusicade; 11-19-2006 at 07:10 PM.

My Eastern Team looks alot like yours Ruiscade
    ---------------------
    opps....

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2147776;
    Oh so neat fluff. Thanks for the link, I voted, but I doubt my biased voting will get an almost full team of Flames players
    I was biased too, but with the Bruins. But I'll have some Flames on my West team.

East

Ovechkin, Bergeron, Jokinen, Chara, Bouwmeester, Brodeur

Write-in: Marc Savard

West

Smyth, Kariya, Selanne, Niedermayer, Regehr, Kipper

Write-in: Fitzpatrick just 'cause I don't know who else to write-in

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2147776;
    I voted, but I doubt my biased voting will get an almost full team of Flames players
    That's ok it will balance out my biased Oilers team.

Team East:
    Crosby, Overchikn, Jagr, Bouwmeister, Souray (he's having an awesome year), Miller

Team West:
    Hemsky, Smyth, Sykora, Lidstrom, Hannan, Roloson
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

I have a lot of confidence in this now.

You can vote again and again if you REALLY want that mostly *insert team nickname here* lineup. Not that I've done it...

Of course not, Rus, neither have I

I say we get Rory in that All-Star line-up.

I'm so pleased you picked Kariya too, although I should have guessed you would from your sig line.

No votes for Pronger from any of us?
    Good

Did anyone see George Laraque asking Shane Doan the Rapid Fire question on Hockey Central this past Saturday?

For anyone that doesn't know the segment, usually Chris Simpson asks a different player the same set of either/or questions every week.
    One of the questions is Nik Lidstrom or Chris Pronger?
    Shane Doan said Lidstrom and Laraque said "You better say that."
    It was pretty funny.

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    I miss big Georgie. It's just not the same without him this year. He's so funny and a great guy too. Before he left Edmonton he spent over 10 hours at an autograph signing/picture taking event just so everybody who lined up to say good-bye could. That's class unlike what Pronger did.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

Ok so far for the standing

Eastern Conference
    Atlantic
    New Jersey --- 25
    NY Rangers --- 23
    NY Islanders -- 21
    Pittsburgh ---- 20
    Philadelphia -- 12

Northeast
    Buffalo --- 33
    Toronto -- 26
    Montreal - 25
    Boston --- 18
    Ottawa -- 17

Southeast
    Carolina --- 27
    Atlanta --- 27
    Washington 22
    Tampa Bay 21
    Florida ---- 18

Western Conference
    Central
    Nashville - 26
    Detroit --- 26
    Chicago --- 16
    ST Louis --- 13
    Columbus -- 11

Northwest
    Minnesota 25
    Edmonton 23
    Vancouver 21
    Calgary -- 20
    Colorado - 20

Pacific
    Anaheim -- 33
    San Jose -- 30
    Dallas ----- 26
    Los Angeles 18
    Phoenix --- 12

I just saw on Sportsnet that Crosby and Ovechkin are leading the All-Star voting in the East, unsurprisingly.

Don't forget, you can vote multiple times.
    I think out of the Eastern selections you could make at least three incredibly talented teams that would be very exciting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    Hey, I voted for him! Bouwmeester, that is. Not Pronger.
    Thank goodness you clarified which 'him' you were referring to

I don't think Florida has enough fans to get either Bouwmeester or Jokinen in and I don't think their games are shown enough outside of their own market to get those guys noticed. It would be nice to see either of them make the team though.
    It can't be easy plugging away in a market like Florida year in year out.

Blue Jackets hire Ken Hitchcock as coach

Blue Jackets hire Ken Hitchcock as coach
    By RUSTY MILLER, AP Sports Writer 40 minutes ago

The Columbus Blue Jackets, seeking an experienced hand to develop their young players, hired veteran Ken Hitchcock as head coach Wednesday.

Hitchcock, fired this season by the Philadelphia Flyers, was to be formally introduced as the team's fifth head coach at a news conference Thursday. Team president and general manager Doug MacLean announced Hitchcock's hiring shortly before the team took the ice against St. Louis.

Hitchcock said what appealed to him about the Blue Jackets was more than their core of young players.

"It's that, but it's also that they have veteran players who have won the Stanley Cup before, guys who know what it takes," he said. "They've got people like Sergei Fedorov, Adam Foote and Fredrik Modin who know what it takes to win."

Hitchcock was asked if he would be behind the bench when the Blue Jackets play his former team, the Flyers, on Friday afternoon in Philadelphia.

"You bet," he said twice.

The 54-year-old Hitchcock replaces interim head coach Gary Agnew, an assistant to Gerard Gallant who was elevated to replace Gallant after he was fired on Nov. 14.

The Blue Jackets came into Wednesday night's game with the worst record in the NHL at 5-13-1-0 and riding a six-game losing skid.

Columbus has had a reputation for being a talented but soft team which features young stars such as Rick Nash and Nikolai Zherdev. Nash scored 41 goals during the 2003-04 season to share the Maurice Richard Trophy as the NHL's leading goal-scorer with Calgary's Jarome Iginla and Atlanta's Ilya Kovalchuk.

Zherdev has scored some of the most photogenic goals in the team's brief history but both he and Nash are not considered two-way players willing to help out on defense and the neutral zone.

Despite a roster that also includes proven pros Fedorov, Modin, Foote, David Vyborny and Anson Carter, the Blue Jackets are last in the NHL in goals this season with 40 in their 19 games.

Hitchcock, with 408 career NHL victories in 750 games, is seen as a veteran disciplinarian who sets high expectations for his players and then grinds at them until they reach them. In 503 games as coach of the Dallas Stars from 1996-02, he had a record of 277-166-60-7. He guided the Stars to the Stanley Cup in 1999.

As those young stars he had helped transform into superstars got older, his effectiveness was seen by some to have waned and he was fired 50 games into the 2001-02 season.

He earned a gold medal as an associate coach with Team Canada at the 2002 Winter Olympics.

During the following offseason, he became the 15th head coach of the Flyers. They made the playoffs each of their three seasons under Hitchcock but many were disappointed with early knockouts in the playoffs despite a lineup that included Peter Forsberg and Simon Gagne.

When the Flyers got off to a 1-6-1-0 start this season, Hitchcock was fired in a purge that also saw general manager and former Flyers star Bobby Clarke step down.

Gallant had coached the Blue Jackets for one full season and parts of two others but was fired last week because his team also got off to a slow start at 5-9-1-0.

Hitchcock cut his coaching teeth as the head coach at Kamloops of the Western Hockey League from 1984-90, posting a winning percentage of .693. He then spent three seasons with the Stars' top affiliate in the International Hockey League before taking over as the head coach midway through the 1995-96 season.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061123/...ts_hitchcock_6
    I don't follow our Blue Jackets here in Columbus like I should. What do some of you true hockey fans think of this? Are the Jackets better off now or will it even make a difference? We are having our company Christmas party in a party suite at Nationwide Arena. Pepsi took some of us down last year to their suite and it was great. Their suite is next to the owner's suite. They're picking up the tab for our Christmas party.

+ Reply to Thread