+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344

Thread: Hockey 2006

Re: Hockey 2006

Upon presenting the cup to Anaheim, Gary Bettman, the NHL commish, said they were the first west coast team to win it. FWIW...not true.

Vancouver Millionaires won it in 1915.
    Seattle Metropolitans won it in 1917.
    Victoria Cougars won it in 1925.

Long time ago, sure, but still...he should have said "since 1925" or "in the modern era" (whatever that might mean).

Congrats to the Ducks! Nice to see Selanne lift the cup.

I'm not a big fan of Josh Harding (based on personal experience) but what he did today was truly commendable. As some of you may or may not know, his sister was diagnosed with breast cancer. He donned a pink helmet and sold it for charity (for breast cancer). Well, today in his hometown (and mine) he donated $23,000 to Breast Cancer Research. The money was made through donations of jerseys and other hockey stuff from guys in the league. He's started a a type of foundation for accepting donations.

I think that it's great when guys give back. His sister's cancer has been caught and is gone as of now. It's great that she's okay and that he's helping find a cure for all women with breast cancer.

Good on Josh Harding for starting this up (and delivering) and good on the other participating NHL players! Thanks for posting this, ca, it brought this effort to my attention, and I'm pretty sure that I'd have missed it otherwise .
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

I have to say, the Stanley Cup is gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous and the guys accompanying it were not half bad either (Christ Kunitz and Ryan Getzlaf).
    Ryan used the appearance for a good cause too which was great!

Doug MacLean found a job.
    Sports - Absolute Hockey to Buy Tampa NHL Team - AOL Sports
    Absolute Hockey to Buy Tampa NHL Team
    AP
    Posted: 2007-08-07 08:09:11
    TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A group led by former Florida Panthers coach Doug MacLean has agreed to buy the Tampa Bay Lightning from Palace Sports and Entertainment.

The NHL team said Tuesday that Absolute Hockey Enterprises signed a purchase agreement that also includes the leasing rights to the St. Pete Times Forum and adjacent properties. The sale is subject to approval by the NHL's board of governors.

Absolute Hockey also includes Jeff Sherrin and Oren Koules. Team spokesman Jay Preble said Sherrin is a Coral Springs real estate developer and Koules is a TV and movie producer. Preble declined further comment until a news conference later Tuesday.

MacLean coached Florida to the Stanley Cup finals in 1996. He was fired in April as the Columbus Blue Jackets' president and general manager.

The Lightning won the Stanley Cup in 2004.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
    08/07/07 08:06 EDT

+ Reply to Thread