+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: Hockey 2006

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2277838;
    I think I'm too new to hockey to understand the old-school (not so old in some quarters) mentality that makes it somehow ok to seek retribution for actual or perceived wrong-doing.
    I don't understand the call for hockey players to be allowed to police themselves.
    No other sport seems to call for their players to be allowed to do this.
    Other sports are for sissies

Bubba-Jo-Lyn hit it square on. If it's done the "right way" it's not a problem, it's been a part of the game forever. It can prevent serious career ending injuries that come as a result of a cheap shot. When the league started cracking down on fighting, the stick infractions and low hits increased.

Just curious...what do you all think of Tootoo's sucker punch to Robidas?
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I didn't see it, but I've never been a fan of Tootoo. I've disliked him since his WHL days. He's always been a goon and a great 'actor' to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba-Jo-Lyn;2279724;
    Here's my Hockey Anonymous opening statement: I don't mind fighting in the game and I like Don Cherry.

I don't always agree with what Don says but some I do and I know he is passionate about the game which is something I totally respect. Hockey is a physical contact sport so you have to expect physical contact. Personally, I think the problem came when the league tried to get rid of the fighting and started that instigator rule to make it more acceptable to the US audience. It used to be that the tough guy on the team would fight the other tough guy and it was done. Now we have the more skilled players getting injured because there are no physical consequences to the other player who goes out there to intentially injure. And then if someone on the team steps up to defend the first player they get penalized worse in the game and if there are too many instigator penalities against them they get suspended. That's stupid.

Also I don't think you can use the actions of Simon or Bertuzzi as a reason to get rid of fighting in the game. Both players made absolutely boneheaded reactions to situations on the ice that there is no excuse for but you can't condemn the whole league because some players are idiots and make idiotic decisions.

As for rivalries between teams, why not. What is wrong with remembering the hit that one player made on another and waiting for them to get it back again in the next game. I grew up watching the Oilers / Flames rivalry of the 80's and that was good tough hockey. Players and fans would get pumped up to play each other, it was exciting hockey. You couldn't wait for the next time the teams would play each other because they were always battles. It was either absolute joy or absolute dejection depending on the outcome of the game the night before. That's not there anymore and I miss it. So if players or coaches can try to build that emotion back into the game I say go for it.

Anyways, that's it for me. Next please.
    Bubba-Jo-Lynn: I agree with your entire post. I grew up with the Oilers/Flames rivalry as well and that was great hockey. But even watching Montreal against the Islanders was great then too. And I remember when teams were really teams of players that stayed together. Of course now with so much trading and $$$ involved, it's almost rare for players to spend a decade playing together.

As for the sucker-punch I didnt' see it. But the verb (?) says it. It was probably a cheap shot. Not professional. Not something you want the young hockey kids to emulate. I'm not watching hockey until the game for the Cup.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Well said all! Bubba Jo Lynn hit the nail on the head!
    And I'll join the group of people that do like Don Cherry. I think him and Ron are right on in their opinions of the game etc...and you can tell they just love hockey!
    I miss the rivalries that use to happen. They try to play up games like the "battle of Ontario" or the "battle of Alberta"....and as good as the games usually are (if you get the pleasure of watching them), they are not the same as the rivalries of old.
    I like that if someone rocks a "star" player into the boards, that the other players are going to take the first opportunity to nail that guy to the boards in retaliation. I'm not sayin to go out and clean their clock with a cheap shot...but definately to let it be known that's not going to happen to their star player.
    I do think some of the teams do this is someways, but there is always the fear of penalties. I know there have been times when Koivu is hit, and Souray or Markov will throw a nice hard hit afterwards....but you know there is that fear there.
    I think they should just stop trying to tweak the game....yes, give suspensions for cheap/deliberate/trying to injure a la Bertuzzi, Simon....but....sometimes a hit that injures is just a hit, that unfortunately gets the player hurt even if it's not intended to do so.
    ---------------------
    opps....

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    TORONTO (CP-AP) - The NHL has suspended Nashville Predators winger Jordin Tootoo five games for his punch to the face of Dallas Stars defenceman Stephane Robidas.

Robidas was knocked unconscious on the play late in the third period of Saturday night's 3-2 win by the Predators at Nashville.

Robidas, who was coming to the defence of star centre Mike Modano, was assessed a minor for charging on the play, and Tootoo received a double-minor for roughing.

Robidas was carried off the ice on a stretcher and was taken to hospital. He's out at least a week after sustaining a concussion.

"In reviewing this incident, Stephane Robidas appeared to be initiating a confrontation by approaching Jordin Tootoo," NHL senior executive vice-president and director of hockey operations Colin Campbell said in a statement. "While a player is entitled to defend himself, Mr. Tootoo's forceful blow to Robidas' head was an overly aggressive and inappropriate response.

"The fact that Mr. Tootoo's actions resulted in an injury to his opponent also was a factor in this decision."

Tootoo, 24, has three goals, four assists and 104 penalty minutes in 61 games this season. Robidas, 30, has 17 assists and 82 penalty minutes in 71 games this season.

Predators general manager David Poile said the team disagreed with the suspension, but did not plan to appeal.

"Jordin was put in a very difficult situation with Robidas confronting him," Poile said in a telephone conference. "I don't know what he was supposed to do. All he could see was a player coming at him with his arms up and certainly looking like he's ready to enter into some form of confrontation. I think Jordin did what I think everybody would do, and he reacted and threw a punch."
    TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

Here's little more info. on the Tootoo punch.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

Oilers winless in 12

EDMONTON (CP) - As Edmonton's losses pile up, it's getting tough for Oilers coach Craig MacTavish to find a silver lining.

The Oilers winless streak reached 12 games as they were crushed 5-1 by the Avalanche on Wednesday.

Edmonton (30-37-7) is also winless in 11 games since trading forward Ryan Smyth to the New York Islanders, and is nearing the team-record 14 game winless streak from the 1993-94 season.

As opposed to other recent efforts that MacTavish called encouraging, he seemed resigned that the Oilers had taken a step backward in this one.

''The best indicator of the things to come was turning over the puck three times in the first 13 seconds of the game,'' MacTavish said. ''When you are at a size and skill disadvantage you want to make sure you are playing a smart game and we started off not playing that way.
    TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

This winless streak has gotten ridiculous - it's at the point where you can't help but laugh at the futility. I keep cheering for the Oilers but I also wouldn't mind seeing them losing the rest of the their games. At least if they move into the bottom 5 teams they can get into the lottery for the #1 draft pick. But knowing the way this season is going they will probably miss that by 1 point too.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

I see Todd Fedoruk got chinned by Colton Orr in the Philly/Rangers game last night.
    He already has metal plates in both cheeks from fighting.
    Boogard pretty much caved the right side of his face in with a punch earlier in the season and he was out before he even hit the ice last night.

He may want a quiet word with the coach to see if someone else can take on fighting duties in future

Cover your eyes for the next part, canadian angel
    Are the Av's actually going to catch the Flames for 8th spot in the West?
    A couple of weeks back it seemed as though the 8 playoff teams were established and it was just a matter of who would play who.
    The Av's are making a real run for it though.
    Coupled with a nasty slump by the Flames and we've got ourtselves a bit of late season excitement in the West.

If I posted this news release already, sorry.

Edmonton, Canada - A seven year old boy was at the centre of an Edmonton courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him.

The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with the child custody law and regulations requiring that family unity be maintained to the degree possible.

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her.

When the judge suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried out that they also beat him.

After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Edmonton Oilers, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

'Nuf said.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2292307;
    Cover your eyes for the next part, canadian angel
    Are the Av's actually going to catch the Flames for 8th spot in the West?
    A couple of weeks back it seemed as though the 8 playoff teams were established and it was just a matter of who would play who.
    The Av's are making a real run for it though.
    Coupled with a nasty slump by the Flames and we've got ourtselves a bit of late season excitement in the West.
    That's another one of the jokes going around E-town that the Oilers will lose against all the teams trying to catch up to Calgary and then beat Calgary in the final regular season game so the Flamers end up not making the playoffs. Unfortunately I don't think the Oilers can beat anyone right now so it should be a guaranteed 2 points for Calgary in the last game.

+ Reply to Thread