+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: Hockey 2006

The NHL seems to base the length of suspensions on the result, not the action. The incident reminds me more of Ray Emery taking a swing at Maxim Lapierre's face than anything and he only got 3 games, and I bet that's because Lapierre wasn't hurt on the play.

Hollweg won't miss any time and luckily escaped with only a cut that needed to be stitched up, so I'd be amazed if Simon got more than 10 games.

It's frustrating how inconsistent the NHL is with suspensions...

He got a minimum of 25 games.

NHL.com

NEW YORK - New York Islanders forward Chris Simon has been suspended, for the remainder of the 2006-07 regular season and the entirety of the Stanley Cup playoffs, for deliberately using his stick to injure New York Rangers forward Ryan Hollweg during the third period of Thursday night's game at Nassau Veterans' Memorial Coliseum.

Simon is suspended a minimum of 25 games, including Saturday night's game against Washington plus the 14 that remain in the 2006-07 regular season. If the Islanders do not qualify for the 2007 playoffs, or play fewer than 10 playoff games in the 2007 playoffs, Simon would serve additional games at the start of the 2007-08 regular season to satisfy the minimum term of the suspension.

"The National Hockey League will not accept the use of a stick in the manner and fashion in which Mr. Simon used his Thursday night," said Colin Campbell, NHL Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations. "As a consequence of his actions, Mr. Simon has forfeited the privilege of playing in an NHL game again this season, regardless of how many games the Islanders ultimately play."

Based on his $1-million contract, which expires at the conclusion of the 2006-07 season, Simon forfeits a minimum of $80,213.90. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

The incident occurred at 13:29 of the third period. After receiving a hard check from Hollweg, Simon swung his stick and delivered a two-handed blow to Hollweg's upper body, causing a cut on Hollweg's chin. Simon was assessed a Match penalty.

JR.
    He should be gone for good, that hit was disgusting. This is his 6th suspension and 3rd for a stick infraction. This idiot is never going to learn.

I'm relieved that he got 25 games, but almost wishing it was more. I really hope this sends a message to any other players gooning it up

I'm not watching hockey anymore. My hearts not in it.
    I'll watch the game for the Cup with my Dad. That's it.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2277186;
    I'm relieved that he got 25 games, but almost wishing it was more. I really hope this sends a message to any other players gooning it up

I would hope so, but I doubt it somehow.
    Marty McSorley's suspension didn't send a message to Simon.
    I agree with JR, this particular guy seems like a lost cause considering his track record.
    I'm biased where this guy is concerned though since I heard that one of his suspensions was for uttering a racial slur.
    If I had ever liked him he'd be dead to me after that anyway
    Like you, ca, I hope others might learn something from this.

It really doesn't help when you have morons like Bill Watters on Sportsnet Connected trying to excuse Simon's behaviour by claiming he may have been concussed.
    Concussed yet able to get to his feet and aim a direct hit on the very person who had just hit him.
    Either he was just blindly going to take a swing at the next Ranger that came within distance or he was sufficiently composed to know exactly who to go for.

I think I'm too new to hockey to understand the old-school (not so old in some quarters) mentality that makes it somehow ok to seek retribution for actual or perceived wrong-doing.
    I don't understand the call for hockey players to be allowed to police themselves.
    No other sport seems to call for their players to be allowed to do this.

That mentality has definitely been around for a long long time. I think perhaps because it is a sport that allows 'fights' to break out during the course of a game unlike other sports. I'll be the first to admit, I enjoy a good bout, but I do also think it contributes to the idea of "you get a player of ours, we'll get one of yours'.
    I can't believe that there are some who are making excuses for his behaviour/actions. What he did was terribly wrong and to try and lessen that is not setting a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2278005;
    That mentality has definitely been around for a long long time. I think perhaps because it is a sport that allows 'fights' to break out during the course of a game unlike other sports.
    I'll be the first to admit, I enjoy a good bout, but I do also think it contributes to the idea of "you get a player of ours, we'll get one of yours'.
    I think you're probably absolutely right, ca.
    I remember there was a fight in the first hockey game I ever saw and I expected the guys to get the book thrown at them by the governing body, but they got five minutes each
    I just wasn't used to seeing people be 'allowed' to fight.
    The rules take a bit of getting used to when you've been raised on other sports.
    I don't mind if two guys want to throw down during the course of a game, but I have a real problem when it spills over to future meetings between the teams as it did in the Moore/Bertuzzi case.
    How many fights was Moore supposed to have before the score was settled for his hit on Naslund?
    I guess it's not over until Bertuzzi says it's over.
    Lindy Ruff sending out his 'meatballs' as Ray Emery called them, against the Sens top line after the Neil hit on Drury was another example of unacceptable behaviour imo, which earned him a fine.

I can't believe that there are some who are making excuses for his behaviour/actions. What he did was terribly wrong and to try and lessen that is not setting a good example.
    I didn't even bother to listen to what Cherry had to say on Saturday.
    I find myself wanting to throw things whenever he's on and I really don't want to shell out for a new tv.
    Last edited by fluff; 03-13-2007 at 06:29 PM.

It's quite interesting watching the rivalries that break out during the course of a season or how they build up and carry on year after year. But that is different from wanting to tear another person/team apart. It's really hard to find that line sometimes and it's really clear when someone crosses it, but harder when they walk it.

I can't really stand Cherry. Every once in a while he'll have something to say that is really worth listening to but 95% of the time it's pure rubbish. Though what is interesting is watching just to see what he'll be wearing.

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    Here's my Hockey Anonymous opening statement: I don't mind fighting in the game and I like Don Cherry.

I don't always agree with what Don says but some I do and I know he is passionate about the game which is something I totally respect. Hockey is a physical contact sport so you have to expect physical contact. Personally, I think the problem came when the league tried to get rid of the fighting and started that instigator rule to make it more acceptable to the US audience. It used to be that the tough guy on the team would fight the other tough guy and it was done. Now we have the more skilled players getting injured because there are no physical consequences to the other player who goes out there to intentially injure. And then if someone on the team steps up to defend the first player they get penalized worse in the game and if there are too many instigator penalities against them they get suspended. That's stupid.

Also I don't think you can use the actions of Simon or Bertuzzi as a reason to get rid of fighting in the game. Both players made absolutely boneheaded reactions to situations on the ice that there is no excuse for but you can't condemn the whole league because some players are idiots and make idiotic decisions.

As for rivalries between teams, why not. What is wrong with remembering the hit that one player made on another and waiting for them to get it back again in the next game. I grew up watching the Oilers / Flames rivalry of the 80's and that was good tough hockey. Players and fans would get pumped up to play each other, it was exciting hockey. You couldn't wait for the next time the teams would play each other because they were always battles. It was either absolute joy or absolute dejection depending on the outcome of the game the night before. That's not there anymore and I miss it. So if players or coaches can try to build that emotion back into the game I say go for it.

Anyways, that's it for me. Next please.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

+ Reply to Thread