+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey 2006

I felt bad for Smyth, he's clearly very upset to be leaving and it was obviously a shock to him.
    It's a shame he had to hear the news from the media rather than Kevin Lowe.
    I believe negotiations ahev been strained with Smyth during his last couple of contract talks.
    For whatever reason it seems the Oilers were more concerned with locking down the likes of Pisani, Hemsky and Staios than inking Smyth to another contract.
    Bob McKenzie on TSN yesterday said the Flames basically asked Iginla what his number was and said they'd fit other contracts in around him, the Oilers seemed to do the opposite.
    It's all come down to a matter of $100,000 per year I believe, which isn't a great deal of money to either side.
    To the regular working person it's a fortune, but when you're already being offered $5+ it seems slightly ridiculous to hold out for $500,000 more over five years.

I can understand Smyth looking at Tanguay's contract with the Flames and thinking he should be paid along those lines considering Tanguay doesn't have the same international pedigree or the same times to the Flames that Smyth has to the Oil.
    Organizations operate in different ways though.
    A shame all-round really.
    I wish him the best in New York.
    Last edited by fluff; 03-01-2007 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2261143;
    It's a shame he had to hear the news from the media rather than Kevin Lowe.I believe negotiations ahev been strained with Smyth during his last couple of contract talks. For whatever reason it seems the Oilers were more concerned with locking down the likes of Pisani, Hemsky and Staios than inking Smyth to another contract.
    I agree fluff: I don't know why there wasn't time for the phone call. Smyth was at home watching the Messier ceremonies. But shouldn't it have been his agent who called, rather than Lowe?

You are right also that negotiations were strained the last couple of talks. This year, Smyth said he was not going to be involved and would leave it up to his agent to finalize everything.

I don't think that the Oilers were more concerned with locking down the others. I think they just needed to get those contracts done and all the while they were still in talks with Smyths camp. But they knew from previous experience it would go long and tight to deadline.

I also agree that for the extra $100,000/season for Smyth, the Oilers would have gotten more from their team as a whole and from the fans. I doubt seasons tickets sales will be good next year at all unless Smyth comes back.

Which I don't believe he will.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I also think that, even though the pundits are saying Smyth was tired of being undervalued and taking the hometown discount, surely he could make any shortfall up from endorsement or public appearance deals.
    Not that he should have to supplement his income if he feels the club aren't paying him well enough, but I'm sure there is a lot of money to be made for him outside of his actual compensation from the club.
    Apparently Ovechkin gets $10-20k for public appearances, autograph signings and the like.
    I'm sure Smyth could command a decent fee.

I heard that he believed he would not be traded if a deal wasn't reached, so he thought he had until July 1st to work out a deal with Edmonton.
    It seems a little naive that he would think they would risk letting him go for nothing and it appears, if this is true, that he overestimated the strength of his position.
    He was clearly hit for six though (Jesus, I just used a cricket analogy in a hockey thread ) and apparently felt relieved when the 3pm dedline passed and he hadn't heard anything.

The Isles were in such a mess at the beginning of the season.
    They hired Neil Smith as GM and fired him 40 or so days later, then appointed their back-up goalie as the new GM.
    They were ridiculed for giving Di Pietro a 15 year contract too.
    They're hanging in there though and could still make the playoffs.
    I'd love to see them do it.
    The Oilers are ten points out of a playoff spot so this trade is looking like Smyth's best shot of not playing in the World Championships this season.

...He was clearly hit for six though (Jesus, I just used a cricket analogy in a hockey thread ) and apparently felt relieved when the 3pm deadline passed and he hadn't heard anything.
    I might use that phrase if it's ok! Up here we'd say something more like "hit by a sixpack".

Anyway, It's unfortunate that Smyth might have been caught unawares that discussions were so strained. If so, then his agent didn't clearly let him know he could and would be traded. That would explain Smyth's unhappy face dressing up in Islanders fatigues, but he's saying the right things. I'm not surprised that the entire NY team was cheering when they heard Smyth was coming to town.

I misssed the Lowe press conference....anything interesting? They focussed on Smyth and the Islanders on the news.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

The media keeps talking about how Smyth and Edmonton weren't that far about, numbers wise, but both camps played hardball. Still, you can't help but feel bad for Smyth and the Edmonton fans. He really wanted to play there.

How scary was the Tomas Kaberle being carried off the ice on a stretcher last night? And no penalty for Jansen. Ugh. I just hope he's okay.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Apparently Janssen's going to get a three game suspension for that hit MissF.

Quote Originally Posted by JR.;2259774;
    I question the Boyes trade more than the Mara one. Boyes finished 3rd last year in rookie scoring behind Ovechkin & Crosby, not too shabby. He was having a bad year, they should've stuck with him. I've never even heard of Wideman.

Mara was not playing well at either end, and at least Ward is pretty good defensively. The Bs really needed to get another goalie.
    Yes, the Boyes trade bothers me more than the Mara trade. We need another goalie, but I didn't want to trade for the goalie that we have been rumored to be after. Nabokov: too much money, too many years. Just my opinion.

That hit on Kaberle was pretty weird. I mean, it was definately after the play ~ although listening to Harry and ?? (commentators) you'd think Janssen was skating around the ice looking to get someone ~ but it looked like the boards hit him worse and really knocked him out. Janssen looked as concerned as everyone else was. I don't agree with the 3 game suspension.

I'm sure when the Leafs don't make the play offs it will be because of the cheap hits they get and the numerous "one sided" penalties. I forget who the Leafs were playing, it was a Monday night, and Sundin was hit and man, did he chew about the hit the rest of the game or what. Not my favorite hockey player that's for sure!

I wish the Habs would start winning some games. They've been pretty crappy lately.

I was sad for Smyth too (considering both players we named our son after are now moved to different teams! ~ Yanic Ryan would be his name ) ...but I do understand where Edmonton is coming from too, it would suck to be trying to get a deal done for a whole year, and then lose him to Free Agency for nothing. Maybe he'll come back to Edmonton?? I hope he does, but I would understand if he didn't.
    ---------------------
    opps....

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wwhippetcrazy;2265112;
    ...but I do understand where Edmonton is coming from too, it would suck to be trying to get a deal done for a whole year, and then lose him to Free Agency for nothing. Maybe he'll come back to Edmonton?? I hope he does, but I would understand if he didn't.
    Especially since we've been burned so many times with that (ie. Cujo's exit to Toronto). I was extremely sad to see Ryan go. I really hoped he would be one of those few players that gets to play his whole career with one team but it wasn't meant to be. It was really sad to see his press conference at the airport. It was more his lip quivering over the gap where his teeth got knocked out in the playoff run last year than the tears that got me. Such a shame too that it overshadowed the Messier tribute.

Unlike some people in Edmonton I really don't think he will be back. The Oilers will not offer the same amount of money again and I think Ryan will get more in the Free agency market in the summer from other teams anyways. As an Oilers fan I can only hope that we get something out of all the first rounders that we picked up.

ETA: I don't really think Ryan wasn't aware of the state of the contract negotiations. I think his agent Meehan was playing hardball with Ryan's support and maybe didn't expect Kevin Lowe to stand his ground so firmly. Lowe made the comment on HNIC on Saturday that although Ryan is a really good player he's not an elite player and at the end of the day they couldn't justify paying so much for him. I don't think Meehan expected that reaction so his bluff got called. S*cks all the way around but that's what negotiating is.
    Last edited by Bubba-Jo-Lyn; 03-05-2007 at 05:45 PM.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

What do you all make of Simon's slash to the face on Hollweg last night in the Rangers/Isles game?

We were watching a different game and just happened to be flicking channels during a break and saw the incident and couldn't believe our eyes.
    There's been a lot of talk on the sports shows here comparing the hit to other incidents, McSorley/Brashers, Bertuzzi/Moore and asking where it lines up against them.
    Although it was a bad hit, I don't think it's as bad as the either of those.
    Bertuzzi's hit on Moore and the ridiculous posturing that led up to it still disgusts me.
    The only thing more sickening to me is the "what happens on the ice stays on the ice" argument from fans who think that Moore should just "get over it".
    The concensus among the pundits I've heard comment on this seems to be that a ban for the rest of the regular season, and playoffs if the Isles make it, is in order.

ETA. Just found out Simon's been suspended indefinitely by the NHL.
    Last edited by fluff; 03-09-2007 at 02:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread