+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey 2006

Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingViolet;2258028;
    Wow! That's huge news that Smyth was traded--and to the Islanders?

Ha! Yet another reason to hate Bertuzzi. And Detroit. He doesn't deserve going to a playoff-bound team.
    Agreed.
    He doesn't deserve to be playing National League hockey at all, imo.

TSN just reported that Ryan Smyth is "emotional and shocked" about being traded to New York.
    He's not going to comment publicly because he doesn't want to overshadow Mark Messier's number retirement festivities tonight.
    Too late, Ryan.

Ryan Smyth traded!

And today of all days!?? Can't they let us celebrate Messiers jersey retirement tonight and finish giving the Moose his props without throwing this into the fray?? And to New York?

We are not at all happy here in Oilerville. Not at all.

We love you RYAN
    Last edited by misskitty; 02-27-2007 at 05:39 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Thery had to do it today if they wanted to ensure they got anything in return for him.
    If they left it any longer he could have walked as a UFA for nothing come July 1st.

They should have signed him last summer.
    They inked deals with Lupul, Horcoff and Pisani and leave Smyth until 20 minutes before the trade deadline.

According to TSN Smyth is really upset about it.
    He did say he wasn't going to give Edmonton a hometown discount though.
    There is still a chance he could come back once he is unrestricted.
    It does look like Edmonton's chances of making the playoffs got a lot slimmer.

I dont like this trade either, but it does give Edmonton more money to sign a free agent next year. I believe that might have been the reason for trading Ryan Smyth. Detroit made an awful trade for Todd Bertuzzi.

Tch. Leafs and Islanders get better (Isles get wayyyy better) and the Habs stay still.

Not happy about Big Bert in Detroit. If he really wanted to, he could walk all over the Preds defense if they meet up in the playoffs.

Islanders, Flames, and Sabres the big winners IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2258076;
    Thery had to do it today if they wanted to ensure they got anything in return for him.If they left it any longer he could have walked as a UFA for nothing come July 1st.

They should have signed him last summer. They inked deals with Lupul, Horcoff and Pisani and leave Smyth until 20 minutes before the trade deadline.

According to TSN Smyth is really upset about it. He did say he wasn't going to give Edmonton a hometown discount though. There is still a chance he could come back once he is unrestricted. It does look like Edmonton's chances of making the playoffs got a lot slimmer.
    I know they couldn't leave it any longer but I totally agree they should have inked a deal way before the last minute. I've heard that Smyth is shocked and very emotional. Have to catch the local news.

What a mixed emotional day for Oiler fans.

Oilers regret having to trade Ryan Smyth

The Edmonton Oilers tried to reach terms on a contract extension with forward Ryan Smyth, but he wound up being dealt to Long Island in the most shocking trade at Tuesday's NHL trade deadline.

Smyth, the undisputed emotional sparkplug of the Oilers, was traded to the New York Islanders for a pair of coveted prospects in Robert Nilsson and Ryan O'Marra and a first-round draft pick.

Ryan Smyth was considered the heart and soul of the Edmonton Oilers.
    (Jimmy Jeong/Canadian Press) "I certainly wasn't out there shopping him," Oilers general manager Kevin Lowe said. "But we had to be prepared, in the sense that something like this could happen."

Smyth, who is making $3.5 million US this season, reportedly was seeking a multi-year extension worth $5 million US annually.

The former all-star is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

"I always thought we would get a deal done," Lowe said. "And really, until recently when, in our minds, we really stepped up, thought that maybe it's not so obvious, maybe it's not so easy."

"I'm surprised actually, given what Ryan is to the community and what he has been to the franchise," said Don Meehan, Smyth's agent. "But I understand that, with all due respect, they have the ability to make these decisions and that's what management has to do in these circumstances."

Meehan said both he and the Oilers tried to find some common financial ground, but could not.

"Both sides compromised throughout this process," Meehan said. "But not to the degree where we both felt comfortable that we could come to a deal."

"It was really down to the 11th hour where we realized, financially, it wasn't going to get done," Lowe said.

Smyth, 31, is widely considered one of the NHL's hardest-working forwards and he offers the Islanders a unique blend of grit, leadership and scoring prowess.

The native of Banff, Alta., led the Oilers with 31 goals and 53 points in 53 games this season, his 12th since being selected sixth overall by Edmonton in the 1994 NHL draft.

Concerned about backlash

Mindful of how fans reacted to Edmonton trading Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier and Chris Pronger, Lowe acknowledged that Smyth's departure will likely incite a similar backlash.

"I'm very concerned," Lowe said. "I've thought about it for months.

"I've been on the job for 6-7 years. But this has been the most difficult one.

"Ryan has meant so much to this organization — as did some of the players in the past," Lowe continued. "So we have to factor those things in.

"We know that's a big part of it. He was a big fan favourite and it made the decision that much more difficult.

"We're not insensitive to our fans, by any stretch. But in the same breath, we have to make decisions we think can bolster the team and help it eventually win.

"We're not a better team with Ryan gone, no question. But in the very near future, we'll be a better team."

Top prospects

Both Nilsson and O'Marra are former first-round picks, drafted 15th overall in 2003 and 2005, respectively.

Nilsson, 22, has posted 12 goals and 45 points in 50 games for the AHL Bridgeport Sound Tigers this season.

The Calgary native had six goals and 20 points in 53 games as a rookie with the Islanders in 2005-06.

O'Marra has four goals and five points in eight games with the Sound Tigers this season.

The 19-year-old totalled 27 goals and 77 points in 61 games for the OHL Erie Otters prior to being promoted to Bridgeport.

O'Marra also won gold medals with Team Canada at the last two world junior championships.

"We've acquired some very good young assets," Lowe said. "Combined with the ones we already have that are gaining experience, we really like our overall depth.

"The unfortunate part is Ryan Smyth's not a part of it."

http://cbc.ca/news/sports

On another note, we still love the MOOOOOSE!! I knew he would cry. Wish I was there.

Attachment 19498

Oilers retire Mark Messier's No. 11

It has been a long time since Edmonton fans cheered Mark Messier the way they did Tuesday night.

Messier, who celebrated five of his six career Stanley Cups with the Oilers before retiring in 2005, had his No. 11 raised to the rafters of Rexall Place in an emotional ceremony prior to Tuesday's game between the hometown Oilers and Phoenix Coyotes.

The 46-year-old Edmonton native is the sixth member of the Oilers so honoured, joining Al Hamilton (3), Paul Coffey (7), Jari Kurri (17), Grant Fuhr (31) and Wayne Gretzky (99), now head coach of the Coyotes.

"One of the reasons that made it so special to play here is that I was born and raised here," Messier told the capacity crowd of 16,839 in attendance.

Dressed in a vintage Oilers uniform, Messier skated a lap around the ice with the Stanley Cup to a tumultous standing ovation and was already in tears by the time he placed it on a table at centre ice.

"I want to thank each and every one of you for all of your support," Messier said. "This [franchise] is an institution in the world of sports."

"Mark, that skate brought back great memories," Oilers head coach Craig MacTavish noted. "Welcome back to centre ice with the Edmonton Oilers."

Messier ranks second in career points behind the incomparable Gretzky, a longtime friend and teammate with the Oilers and New York Rangers.

"Tonight would not have been the same without Wayne being here," Messier said. "Wayne was our leader, he was our inspiration.

"He was the guy we leaned on. And he never let us down and never put himself above anybody."

Other former teammates on hand for the 40-minute tribute included MacTavish, Coffey and Glenn Anderson.

"Nobody can do it by themselves and I had so much support, starting with the guys here," Messier said. "It is good to be back home."

Messier, considered one of the finest leaders in professional sports, is the only player in NHL history to captain two teams to Stanley Cups, accomplishing the feat with Edmonton in 1990 and New York in 1994.

The Rangers retired his sweater number on Jan. 12, 2006.

The 16-time all-star also captained the Vancouver Canucks during his 25-year NHL career, totalling 694 goals and 1,887 points in 1,856 games.

"After all is said and done and retirement has come and the championships are gone, it's really about the people you have met and the relationships you've been able to forge over the years," Messier said.

With files from the Canadian Press
    CBC.ca Sports - Hockey - NHL
    Last edited by misskitty; 04-06-2007 at 01:54 PM.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple;2258013;
    I am extremely disappointed with Chiarelli today.

Boyes for Wideman
    Mara for A. Ward

Giving up on Boyes.
    Ward is older.
    I question the Boyes trade more than the Mara one. Boyes finished 3rd last year in rookie scoring behind Ovechkin & Crosby, not too shabby. He was having a bad year, they should've stuck with him. I've never even heard of Wideman.

Mara was not playing well at either end, and at least Ward is pretty good defensively. The Bs really needed to get another goalie.

Smyth was in tears today at the airport for his farewell press conference. I'm not sure he'll be back. He didn't shut the door, but he's pretty hurt about the negotiation not working out. Oilers have said it was a fair and commensurate offer. That Smyth wouldn't meet them half-way. Smyth, however, is not angry at anyone; just sad and surprised. Smyth would do pretty good up here on that salary. Its' a lot more expensive down in NYC and I'm not sure the the $$ would make up for what he enjoyed about this City and Province.

The next few months down in the Big Apple will give Smyth and family a taste. Whether he likes the taste or not, is still to be seen. JMO. Gretzky and Messier never came back. I don't think Smyth will be any different. Even though he'll have a chance at a playoff run, I don't know if the Oilers will be able to re-sign him in the off-season.

If he came back, it would be a to a heroe's welcome, from the fans anyway. I guess Kevin Lowe was so upset about it that Craig MacTavish had to pitch hit (?) for him last night at Messier's jersey ceremony at Rexall Place. That and the fact it was down to the final hours and Lowe didn't want have an interruption in the joyful festivities.

I'm tired of the Oilers losing great players and then having to "regroup" again.

I guess Georges Laraques has thrown a few stones lately. Said he thought of going to the Calgary Flames just to spite his old team. And the Oilers have said that Laraques shouldn't be throwing stones because they held him up as long as they could and have a few rocks in their pockets, if he really wants to get into it.

Hockey players have such a tough life.

+ Reply to Thread