+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey 2006

I'm not a violent person, but I adore Georges Laraque and would love to see him give Avery a bloody good dig in the chin

Quote Originally Posted by Rusicade;2231275;
    Well, he has changed this season...I think he's only been in 1 fight.

However, I think on a soft Rangers team, he'll be asked to harass Crosby. Pittsburgh needs to get Laraque...although it might be fun watching Ruutu and Avery going at it.

Oh, and Sergei Samsonov has asked for a trade!

Rivet + Samsonov = good second line center, I hope.
    That would suit me just fine.

Two trades today...

To Predators:
    Eric Belanger

To Hurricanes:
    Josef Vasicek

Pretty much a depth move, I'm surprised Vasicek has any value.

To New York Rangers:
    Pascal Dupuis

To Minnesota Wild:
    Adam Hall

Third-liners when they're at the top of their game, both have done pretty bad.

I wish Hall was still in Nashville. =/

Oh me, oh my, what a terrible game by the Flames last night. I am so disappointed by it! What a way to blow their chances of putting distance between them and second place.

http://sports.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/H...howbyline=True

Douglas Orr, the father of hockey great Bobby Orr, has died. He was 82.

His daughter Patricia confirmed his death to the Canadian Press on Saturday, but would not offer any further details.

"He had a great hockey career at one time but he gave it up to go in the Second World War as a sailor," an emotional Don Cherry, who coached Bobby Orr, said on Coach's Corner.

"He was a great guy."

Douglas Orr excelled in track at Parry Sound High School and also in hockey, earning a long look from the Boston Bruins.

He declined an offer from the Bruins to play minor league hockey in the U.S., however, and enlisted in the Canadian navy.

Orr and wife Arva welcomed their third of five children, Robert Gordon Orr, on March 20, 1948, in Parry Sound, Ont. Orr, who worked in a munitions factory after the war, encouraged sons Ron, Douglas Jr. and Bobby as they each played several sports.

Barely a teenager, Bobby Orr's hockey prowess attracted interest from NHL clubs Toronto, Detroit and Boston, with the Bruins signing the young defenceman.

The Orrs allowed their 14-year-old son to begin playing with Oshawa Generals of the Ontario Hockey League in 1963.

Four years later, he was the Calder Trophy winner with the Bruins, the beginning of one of hockey's most sensational careers.

Orr revolutionized the position with his end-to-end rushes into the offensize zone and passing ability, while utilizing his tremendous speed to get back to his own end.

He won the Norris Trophy as the league's best defenceman seven times and became the first at the position to lead the league in scoring, in 1970.

He helped guide the Bruins to two Stanley Cups but was forced to retire at the age of 31 during the 1978-79 season. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame immediately.

In 2000, Arva Orr died at the age of 78 after a lengthy battle with cancer. The couple had been married 53 years at the time of her death.

Three years later, the Bobby Orr Hall of Fame opened in Parry Sound.

"It's exciting," Doug Orr said of the new facility.

"I'm sure Bobby will be very proud of this. I sure am."

That is sad to hear.

I am however, pleased with the newest trade the Flames have made: The Boston Bruins traded defenceman Brad Stuart and forward Wayne Primeau to the Flames on Saturday for defenceman Andrew Ference and forward Chuck Kobasew.
    I'm a fan of Stuart ever since he played here in the minors! It's great to see the Flames getting the good end of deals.

Brad Stuart, Wayne Primeau and Craig Conroy will make the Calgary Flames an improved hockey team.

That's sad about Doug Orr.

Looking past this year, the Bruins win this one unless Stuart re-signs with Calgary.

To the Thrashers:
    Eric Belanger. Yes, the same Eric Belanger that was traded Thursday
    (Thrashers also picked up Denis Hamel off of waivers from Senators)

To the Predators:
    Vitaly Vishnevski

I'm happy with this, Preds really needed an intimidating guy on the blueline.

Any news on Kris Newbury? The guy got knocked out cold by a punch and on his way down he slammed his head on the ice. I heard he was doing fine last night...
    Last edited by Rusicade; 02-11-2007 at 09:00 AM.

JR.
    ... and the Joe Thornton deal just keeps getting worse.

Thanks O'Connell.

It's the trade that keeps on giving

I agree though, the Flames trade will only be worth it if Stuart stays, but it's clear to see they're trying to make a serious run right now.

+ Reply to Thread