+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Michael Schumacher to retire

Michael Schumacher to retire

A legend:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/s...d=6&id=2575660

One of Formula One's all-time greats reportedly is ready to vacate his ride permanently.

Michael Schumacher will announce his retirement at the Italian Grand Prix on Sunday, the German newspaper Bild reported.

The newspaper gave no source for its report.

The seven-time champion, who holds every major record in Formula One, had previously said he would announce a decision on his future at the race.

"We can't comment on everything. As we said, there will be more on Sunday," Schumacher spokeswoman Sabine Kehm told Bild.

Schumacher's contract with Ferrari expires at the end of this season. He trails defending F1 champion and current leader Fernando Alonso by 12 points in the standings with four races remaining.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

There have been rumors that he is heading to NASCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    There have been rumors that he is heading to NASCAR.
    I know I don't do the FORT NASCAR (although I may next season). I am, however, a huge fan. I would love to see him move over.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Leo
    Premium Member
    It's official now:

http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_...488736,00.html

Schumacher quits F1
    Sunday September 10 2006

Michael Schumacher will retire from Formula One at the end of the season, Ferrari revealed this evening.

The team issued two statements, one confirming Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa as drivers next season and another revealing the retirement of the sport's most successful driver.

Schumacher, who won today's Italian Grand Prix, will not necessarily leave Ferrari, with the team statement revealing a "new role" will be revealed shortly.

Schumacher said: "Words are not enough and whatever I could say now will never fully express how much I love this fascinating world of motorsport and all it has given me.

"From go-karting to Formula One I have lived through moments that I will never forget."

Schumacher's win today was his 90th in Formula One and brings him within two points of championship leader Fernando Alonso as he chases an unprecedented eighth world title.

A clearly emotional, but content Schumacher used the post-race press conference to talk to the media, and while the decision had been largely expected, there was still an air of disbelief at the retirement of the sports most decorated competitor.

"This is the last Monza race I'll do and at the end of this year I've decided with the team I'll retire from racing," Schumacher said.

"It has been an exceptional time the last thirty years of what motorsport has given to me - I've loved all the good and bad moments and they've made it so special."

The German driver also used the platform to thank all those who have helped him throughout his glittering carreer.

"I want to thank my family, my dad, mum, wife and kids all of whom have supported what I've been doing."

"Without their support to survive in this business and perform would be impossible. I can't be thankful to my family enough and to all my mates from the Benetton times and Ferrari days where I've made so many friends here and it's been a really tough decision to decide not to work together any more."

"One day, it has to come, and I feel this is the moment,"

"In terms of timing, I think it is right to give Felipe to find his place in the team and decide his future and there was no point for my decision to be taken any further as he's been doing such a good job for the team."

It's nice to see he had a successful career and will retire and go onto something in the industry as suggested.

Formula One is great to watch. I like Grand Prix as well. I just find Nascar really boring after a while. I have no idea why.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread