+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: US Open (Tennis)

US Open (Tennis)

This is simultaneously my favorite and least favorite time of the year. I love the tennis, I love the NY crowd, and, I don't care what anyone says, I love the Ask Johnny Mac when it rains. I look forward to these two weeks every year.

And yet - I'm always afraid (even at my advanced age) that someone is going to make me go back to school just around this time, and I don't want my summer to be over.

Finally, it was two days after Leyton Hewitt won that we had what I think I'll always consider to be the most shocking event of my lifetime. And, I just can't bring myself to want to celebrate anything this time of year.

Such mixed feelings - but I hope Andre does well in his finale, and that we are able to enjoy two weeks of humor and great tennis! (And, just to be ornery, I hope Rafa does well - maybe even wins.)
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

FORT Fogey
    I'm so pumped for the start of the Open today it's not even funny. I'm even taking a day off from work tomorrow to watch it all day. (I've got a meeting today I had to be here for - so I'm taping todays' action)

I'm not crazy about Andre (still hold too much of a grudge about his being so celebrated at Wimbledon, with hardly a mention of the way he snubbed the tournament for years) but I want to see him go out well. In my perfect world, he'd stay in long enough to be knocked out by Roddick. I've just always loved those "younger American takes the torch from the retiring American" stories.

I'd really really love to see this be a tournament where the American men come on strong and announce they're ready to be taken seriously. I want to see both Blake and Roddick go far. I'd also love to see Ginepri have another "while you're paying attention to those other two, I'm just going to work my way to the second weekend" tournaments again. Those three guys, along with Mardy Fish, are just so much fun as players that I think it's time that they start being as entertaining on the court as they are off. If they can get dominant in the game, as cohesive a bunch as they are, it'd be even better than the good ol' days of Sampras, Agassi, Courier, and Chang. And it'd be quite appropriate if the time they started to make their mark was the same time that the last of the first four retired.

Is it bad that I could care less about the women's draw this year? I'm so tired of every one on the women's side being hurt and distracted and not playing that I just don't think they deserve attention anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    Is it bad that I could care less about the women's draw this year? I'm so tired of every one on the women's side being hurt and distracted and not playing that I just don't think they deserve attention anymore!
    It's not bad. I'm not a fan of Justine's, but I do like Momo, so I'm hoping for at least some fun there. There have just been so many injuries, the women have almost painful to follow this year.

As for the men, I watched what I could of the road to the Open tournaments, and I do think Blake might do very well (I hope so, also). Ginepri has not looked at all good, Roddick has done both well and poorly, but I do like him. In my book, all these American guys bring out their very best for this event, so I'll be right there with you cheering them on. I was off put (I know it's silly) by that Wimbeldon jacket, so if Roger doesn't do well (fat chance), it won't bother me a bit. And, yes, I do like Rafa, I honestly believe he's clean, and I look forward to years of intense rivalries on the men's side.

Finally, I have great admiration for Andre as he's evolved into adulthood, and for what he's done for his community, so I'm hoping he does well enough to give us a suitable farewell.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

FORT Fogey
    Yes! Someone else who disliked the arrogance of Roger's jacket!!!!! I've always thought he had a naturally smug look on his face, and wanted to just knock it off of him after that little move! I really want him to be knocked down a bit. I used to hope he'd just get a major injury. Now, I want him to start getting beat early in tournaments, just to show him that he IS beatable!

Ginepri is a head case right now. His game is still strong - it's all mental, and I think he knows it. I went down to Cincinnati for the first day of the Masters tournament down there, and saw him play. (for arms like that, I think tournament officials should just give him a second chance when he loses just so we can be allowed to look at him longer!) The first set, I was embarassed for him. But the second set, it was like he was an entirely new player. The turnaround was amazing. He's got it in him ... it's just a matter of reaching that consistently, which he has not been doing, but I'd like to see that change.

Blake I think can handle the pressure of being on top better than Roddick has, which could be good for him. Roddick seems to be in such a groove of excitement that Connors is working with him. When he gets that cocky "you say I can't, but I'll show you" attitude in him, he gets fun.

I also hope that little twit Andy Murray gets knocked out early. I really don't like him. He did not beat Federer in Cincy ... Federer lost and Murray was lucky enough to be on the right court at the right time to take credit for it. Murray played a bad match - Federer just played worse. And then the way that Murray behaved after knocking out Ginepri in the next round there was just inexcusable. When you win, you don't go on and on about how tired you were, how you barely made it through, etc. It's bad form, and he's not a good enough player to behave like that.

ETA: I had to share my funniest story of going to the Cincy tournament. As anyone whose seen him play live knows, Robby Ginepri understands that he'll never have Roddick's game, and the only real way he can compete with him fan-wise is via looks. That's the real reason for the sleeveless shirts. It's also his reason for shirt changes. While most of the guys will change shirts quickly as part of their changeovers, Ginepri tends to take his shirt off ... drink some water ... towel off ... sit and think about the match ... and then just at the last minute before the umpire is going to call time, he'll get around to putting on a new shirt. Well the first time he did this, the ball-kid who was assigned to stand in front of him was a girl, probably about 15. She could NOT take her eyes off him. It was the funniest thing I watched all day. I'm pretty sure that had he said to her "Could you please hand me a bottle of water and turn that fan off?" she would not have heard a word of it, and would not have budged. You could almost literally see her head snap back to attention as he put the new shirt on. It was hilarious!
    Last edited by Veruka; 08-28-2006 at 10:07 AM.

OK, well, I'm a sucker for a marketing ploy, so I am already missing the MacCam. However, I do like the Player Challenge, and hope that it works out well enough that other tournaments consider adding it as a technological advancement of the game.
    I cater to the Regs!

FORT Fogey
    I really like it too. It's funny - over the weekend I was watching some of the Agassi matches they were showing on ESPN Classic, and was getting really annoyed to not have hawk eye for some of the close calls. It's funny how quickly we adjust to expecting something like that! The only problem I have with using the player challenge is that it's not being used on all the courts. Given the cost, I can certainly understand why. But it seems like that gives an advantage to the marquee name players who play all their matches on the show courts. Obviously the disadvantage is there for BOTH players on a court that doesn't have it. But let's say you have a final where you've got one player who is on the show courts and used to using the challenges, and another who is a surprise in the final and has had more matches on the outside courts. Is that a level playing field?

I'm thinking that it'll all even out, over time (meaning not this year). Since it's new technology, and is still somewhat experimental, I do think it's OK not to have it everywhere. (Although I also didn't know that was the case, I know Mardy Fish used it first, and I didn't think he was on a show court, but maybe he was.)

In my mind, it's not an even playing field for those that play on the outer courts, anyway - they don't get the same atmosphere at all as those that play the whole tournament on the show courts. So, it's probably a pretty big shock, anyway, if they get to the spotlight.

All in all, I was pleased with yesterday. I enjoyed the Billy Jean King ceremony, and I enjoyed the matches I was able to see (including the battle of the Andres). I'll be able to catch more today, I hope, but I'm afraid Big Brother is coming first, tonight, then I'll switch over.
    I cater to the Regs!

FORT Fogey
    Fish was the first to use it at the Open? His first round match was played on Armstrong, so he did play on a show court. That's the nice thing for him about the US Open -- he's considered show court worthy there!

I watched the Billie Jean King ceremony this morning. I loved everything about it except for Venus. IMO, Venus was out of her leagues speaking ... and didn't even realize it which is kind of sad. She was not well-spoken, and spent more time talking about herself than anything else. McEnroe was as great as you'd expect him to be (LOVED the part about rooting against King during the match with Riggs, and now as the father of girls being so glad that he was dissapionted that night). Connors was pretty good. And Evert was outstanding. With those three (along with the fun of Evert and Connors being together again, and Connors and McEnroe being side by side) Venus just brought the song "one of these things is not like the other" back from Sesame Street.

I was looking forward to seeing Blake tonight. The way the rain is coming down today, I'm not so sure we're going to get him in. That's really really going to suck for the guys including Federer who weren't scheduled to play until day 3 for their first round. If today ends up being a wash (and with no action still at 2PM, it could be) and the day 3 guys don't get to start until day 4, things are really going to suck for them!

Okay... clueless me finally woke up to the fact that USA has opened special coverage on DirecTv for this tourney. If either of you have DirecTv, there is a different match on on channels 680-685 every day.

So tonight I can bounce between Roddick/Pless and Ginepri/Benneteal at my leisure (and pleasure.)
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    Okay... clueless me finally woke up to the fact that USA has opened special coverage on DirecTv for this tourney. If either of you have DirecTv, there is a different match on on channels 680-685 every day.

So tonight I can bounce between Roddick/Pless and Ginepri/Benneteal at my leisure (and pleasure.)
    Thanks for the info - but sadly, I live in a congested inner city, so my condo can't have satellite . Annoyingly enough, too, even though I have HD TV, and subscribe to the HD line up, my cable company doesn't carry USA HD. So, all I'll be able to see at max viewing pleasure is the CBS coverage over the weekend.

Boy, I hope you caught a lot of that Ginepri match, Broadway - he really reached down deep. Not too bad, even if early in the rounds, perhaps it'll snap him out of his funk.
    I cater to the Regs!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast