+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: US Open (Tennis)

Re: US Open (Tennis)

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2565245;
    I think it's a little bit of both, Veruka. And yes, I saw one headline last night that said "Federer easily wins his fourth US Open Title... " Easily? Bah.

I didn't stick around to hear his comments... what did HE have to say when interviewed?
    Fed commented that the score board didn't reflect how tough the match was. He said that Djokovic did a much better job than the end result indicated.

The difference between the final and Roger's match with Andy is that Novak had several set points that could have changed the match significantly. I don't remember that being the case with Andy.

I agree that Novak is young and relatively inexperienced at this point and will likely be able to beat Roger regularly in a few years, if he stays healthy. I hate the way he bounces the ball so much before serving and his temper tantrums. "You can't be serious!"

Roger said he is 26.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2565754;

The difference between the final and Roger's match with Andy is that Novak had several set points that could have changed the match significantly. I don't remember that being the case with Andy.
    I agree that was a significant difference in the two matches. To my way of thinking though, that gives more credit to Andy, not Novak. The ability to capitalize on those moments - break points, set points - is a HUGE part of tennis. It's why so much of the game is mental. Novak showed that he's not there mentally because he had so many chances and he lost them. It can certainly be argued that the inability is a matter of age, and he'll get there. And that may be true. But the same thing was said about James Blake. Blake has yet to prove that he can rise to the occasion in those moments and put a match (or set) away. Roddick on the other hand has proven in the past that he can get over that hurdle.

As I see it, Novak's weakness right now is overcoming the mental challenge of the big moments. Andy's weakness right now is figuring out when to mix up his game. (he's relied on his serve so much for so long that he can't figure out how to respond when Roger gets the big ones back) If we could figure out a way to merge Andy and Novak right now, we could build the perfect beast that could beat the Federer robot.

FORT Fogey

we could figure out a way to merge Andy and Novak right now, we could build the perfect beast that could beat the Federer robot.

nicely said. How can we do that!!

♥Ali♥Gia♥Rozlyn♥ OutsideLookinIn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;2566456;
    nicely said. How can we do that!!
    Novak doesn't need Andy to beat Roger as he proved already by winning the recent Australian Open. Andy IMO is very OVER-RATED and hyped! He can't be a great tennis player or win a lot of Gland Slam tournaments IMO because his game is so one-dimensional. He doesn't have all the tools like Novak. Novak to me has no weakness in his game
    "Unfortunately, I did not get any out of this big sex scandal that supposedly happened. If I had known that I was going to get accused of it, maybe I would have gone for it!" -- ROZLYN (Bachelor 14)
    -----------
    BRAD is still "THE HOTTEST Bachelor" ever!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by OutsideLookinIn;2791382;
    Novak doesn't need Andy to beat Roger as he proved already by winning the recent Australian Open. Andy IMO is very OVER-RATED and hyped! He can't be a great tennis player or win a lot of Gland Slam tournaments IMO because his game is so one-dimensional. He doesn't have all the tools like Novak. Novak to me has no weakness in his game
    In fairness, Jacobson's comment came from back in September -- before Novak had proven that he could beat Federer on his own.

I don't think its a fair criticism any more to claim that Roddick has a one-dimensional game. He certainly used to -- he was a strong serve, solid forehand, and that was it. But I give him credit for recognizing about 18 months ago that wasn't enough, and doing something to change it. Andy has worked hard to develop his net game, and has shown some results in that area. In matches where he gets aggressive and does come in, it makes a difference. He has not perfected it yet, which is why he's getting intothe last weekend of some slams, but not lifting the trophy on Sunday. But he's developing that area of his game, so I think he deserves to drop the one-dimensional rap.

♥Ali♥Gia♥Rozlyn♥ OutsideLookinIn's Avatar

I agree Andy has been coming into the net lately and is trying to develop his game more, but I don't see Andy winning another Slam at this point. JMO. I understand he's playing on his own now after saying goodbye to Jimmy Connors so we'll see if he's going to improve now that he doesn't have a coach. IMO he's still very over-rated.
    "Unfortunately, I did not get any out of this big sex scandal that supposedly happened. If I had known that I was going to get accused of it, maybe I would have gone for it!" -- ROZLYN (Bachelor 14)
    -----------
    BRAD is still "THE HOTTEST Bachelor" ever!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678