+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: US Open (Tennis)

Re: US Open (Tennis)

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2562011;
    My guess is that at least some of his presumed bragging is attempts at humor. Other times it's the language barrier. If Fed was an American, I would be a huge fan of his and unable to listen to a word against him. But even thought he isn't an American and I'm not a huge fan, I'm still having a hard time accepting this as fair criticism of him.

At what point is humility viewed as false modesty. He is great and I see nothing wrong with him acknowledging that as long as he isn't insufferable.
    I don't see that the guy has much of sense of humor about himself, at all. This is a guy who says stuff like, "I'm better than anyone else right now, I'm at the top of my game." OK, I'll grant him that, but to not acknowledge that anyone else comes close (Nadal, Djokovic) comes close is just not what I'd consider 'humility'.

As for a language barrier, sorry, not buying that. He not only speaks English fluently, his mother is a native English speaker. It's a huge stretch for me to believe he doesn't understand and respond in the language as if it were his native language.

As for me, I do consider that blazer and logo as pretty insufferable. Can you just imagine the uproar if Sampras, Agassi, the Williams sisters, or any other American dared to come up with these things? They'd be keel-hauled by the press. And yet, this guy is 'humble'?

Sorry, no.

Is he great? Yes, without question.

Is he humble? No, without question.

In my book, of course.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2562011;

At what point is humility viewed as false modesty. He is great and I see nothing wrong with him acknowledging that as long as he isn't insufferable.
    I have never considered the emotion Tiger Woods shows when he wins a major to be false modesty. So I don't think its an either or proposition.

Not too surprised about Federer beat Roddick.

FORT Fogey

So Djokovic is dealt the same fate as Roddick -- He played incredibly well, stayed on Federer's heals as closely as Roddick did, and things just didn't fall in the right order for him. And just like Roddick, there's little acknowledgement of just how well he played. One of two things is happening in tennis right now -- either the other guys in the top 5 are getting better than they've been in a few years, or else Federer's game is starting to show some weak spots.

I think it's a little bit of both, Veruka. And yes, I saw one headline last night that said "Federer easily wins his fourth US Open Title... " Easily? Bah.

I didn't stick around to hear his comments... what did HE have to say when interviewed?

FORT Fogey

Which one, Novak? He basically thanked the people who supported him, congratulted Roger, the usual expected stuff.

No, Federer.

FORT Fogey

Same old same old from him too. He was so happy, the fans were so kind to him, blah blah blah. CBS only covered the trophy presentation - no coverage past that, so the interviews were very brief. Oh, but Dick Edberg did give him a butt kissing question about how no one appreciated the pressure that he's under winning all the time, and he did agree withthat, and said he'd been quite nervous with an upset stomach and what not for the last few matches.

FORT Fogey

i think the other player are catching up to his weak spots.
    it's weird that roger is only 24

I think Djokovic has the talent and will develop the mental toughness to challenge Federer before too long. He is only 20 years old and already #3 in the world. I think he played amazingly well for being in his first grand slam final. He also has the personality to engage fans.

I do not dislike Federer; he has amazing skills and his mental toughness can't be challenged right now. That being said, his unending wins are making men's tennis a little boring for me at the moment. It's become a question of, "Who is Roger going to beat in the finals?" for every tournament. Despite of what the commentators say, I don't think that is good for tennis.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast