+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: US Open (Tennis)

Re: US Open (Tennis)

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2559699;
    It kills me that Roddick played THAT well, stuck with Federer that closely, and gets virtually no recognition for it. By next week, that match is going to be just another in the "loss" column for his record against Federer. Writers will continue to lament that American men's tennis players stink, and that Roddick has never lived up to expectations. Only one guy can win, and Federer had his points in the right order for the first two sets to seal the victory to go his way. But Roddick deserves A LOT of recognition for the way he played that match, and it irks me to realize he won't get most of it.
    I agree. Those first two sets could have EASILY gone the other direction. There was no superior skill by Federer that made him win them both. But no one will remember that a week from now.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey

I don't think they'll even remember it a day from now. When Federer takes the court for the semi-final, the story will be "Federer beat Roddick for the ___ time in a row to get here".

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2559699;
    It kills me that Roddick played THAT well, stuck with Federer that closely, and gets virtually no recognition for it. By next week, that match is going to be just another in the "loss" column for his record against Federer. Writers will continue to lament that American men's tennis players stink, and that Roddick has never lived up to expectations. Only one guy can win, and Federer had his points in the right order for the first two sets to seal the victory to go his way. But Roddick deserves A LOT of recognition for the way he played that match, and it irks me to realize he won't get most of it.
    At this time in their careers, Federer is a much better all around player than Roddick. Yes, Andy played his best, but it wasn't good enough and I see no reason to applaud him for his efforts beyond the event. He should be proud of his performance and continue to work on ways to improve his game.

I always want to see an American win the US Open, but none of the players are good enough at this time and I find it difficult to care about the success of any of even the best of the least. I think there IS an unfortunate lack of great US players. At least Andy is working on improving. I don't see that in the others.

The Williams' sisters have had two major handicaps since the beginning of their careers: Their parents and their attitude. Over the years they have distanced themselves from their parents to a degree, but they are still a very visible and very negative presence. Venus' attitude has improved and she seems dedicated to the game and putting the necessary work into it. Serena's attitude is still terrible. She seems to view tennis as only a way to advance her other interests (fashion/acting) and can't even be bothered to put the necessary work into preparing for the tournaments. Note to Serena: Cut back on the weight lifting, lose 20+ pounds, increase your cardio training and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

FORT Fogey

I was speaking of Roddick's performance in THAT match -- not his overall career. Yes, Federer and Nadal are still better overall players than he is. Roddick seems to rise to the occasion for the big matches, whereas Federer is putting out that level of play virtually all the time (except when he's throwing matches in prep tournaments so that other players don't get a read on his game) But to hear the writers talk about the state of American play - including Roddick - you'd think there is this huge gap between the play of Federer and the play of Roddick. It's like a comparison to the best New York Yankees teams and a AA farm team with less than a .500 record. The tightness of the match last night proves that the gap is not THAT wide.

All in all with the American men, I'd agree with your asessment. The current generation of American men is nowhere near the level that the generation prior to them was in their prime. But I do think you have to question there whether the prior generation (Agassi, Sampras, Courrier, Martin, Chang) was the oddity that we were fooled into always expecting, or if its reasonableto expect another generation like that. Dent and Gimelstob were screwed by bad injuries too early in their careers. Ginepri and Fish have pissed away the talent that they have more interested in going to the right bars to meet groupies than in success on the court. Blake is a late bloomer who has allowed unrealistic expectations to get the better of his mental game. But i would not put Roddick in the same category as those guys. He's been the "leader" of that group for a reason. Right after his Open win, I think he fell into letting their influence throw him off track. But a couple of losses too early in tournaments caught his attention and confirmed in his mind that he's NOT the second coming. They humbled him, and I think that if you look at what he's done in the past year, his re-commitment is evident.

On the Williams sisters -- when attitude is mentioned with them, I tend to think of the attitude they used to give off that they expected and were owed each championship more so than a commitment to the game attitude issue. On that front, I think they've both dramatically improved and I give them a lot of credit for it. When they win these days, they seem to really appreciate it and enjoy the accomplishment. In all honesty, as much as he's earned the right to it, I really wish Roger Federer would learn a thing or two about humility from them!

FORT Fogey

In all honesty, as much as he's earned the right to it, I really wish Roger Federer would learn a thing or two about humility from them
    wow, he is one of the most humble player out there. you have to look behind what the "american" media shows and we know the american media is a very bias media

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;2561648;
    wow, he is one of the most humble player out there. you have to look behind what the "american" media shows and we know the american media is a very bias media
    I disagree. I am well versed in tennis media - not in any way shape or form limited to the American coverage. Yes, the guy is the greatest player on earth right now, and one of the greatest ever. But when he's told that, he smiles, nods, and agrees rather than being thankful for the compliment. There is an attitude of entitlement that he gives off each time he wins a championship, rather than gratitude. When I look at the way he conducts himself with regards to his greatness in comparison with the way other greats conduct themselves, I think that his attitude is FAR from a humble one.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;2561648;
    No matter how many times Mary Carillo tells me he's humble, I don't believe it. Any guy that has his own cheezy white blazer made to show he owns the All England Tennis Club and who additionally has his own logo isn't humble.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

FORT Fogey

Don't forget the gold shoes from a couple of years ago!

Don't get me wrong -- in the locker room, I'm willing to bet the guy is incredibly kind and cordial. In that regard, I can see where people would say he's humble, because he wants to be one of the guys. But the way he conducts himself publicly with regards to his play, he's arrogant and it makes it next to impossible for me to cheer his success.

FORT Fogey

i definetely see your point veruka, but i realised that that's how most the europeens athletes reacts expecially those form western europe. I think they are just misunderstood in the states.

by the way, venus lost. somehow i feel bad for her, but she should be proud of herself, hopefully the media won't be too hard on her

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;2561817;
    No matter how many times Mary Carillo tells me he's humble, I don't believe it.
    My guess is that at least some of his presumed bragging is attempts at humor. Other times it's the language barrier. If Fed was an American, I would be a huge fan of his and unable to listen to a word against him. But even thought he isn't an American and I'm not a huge fan, I'm still having a hard time accepting this as fair criticism of him.

At what point is humility viewed as false modesty. He is great and I see nothing wrong with him acknowledging that as long as he isn't insufferable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast