+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: US Open (Tennis)

FORT Fogey

Re: US Open (Tennis)

roddick need to get back with mandy moore. He was winning when he was with her.

FORT Fogey

You've got a point there. I LOVED watching him and Justin Gimelstob play last night. It aws so entertaining. The challenge to the non-let call on Justin's serve that they both made was great. Andy's cockiness on a couple of his challenges was amusing. And the interviews after the match were classic!

I know Federer is favored to win Saturday and even win the U.S. Open for that matter, but I must cheer for our hometown man "John Isner!" He graduated from the same High School as me, and my father knows his father very well and has contact with him in day to day business.

Go John Go... we're so proud of you!!

"Isner earns spot vs. Federer" : News-Record.com : Greensboro, North Carolina

Isner earns spot vs. Federer
    By Matt Rybaitowski
    Special to the News & Record
    Thursday, Aug. 30, 2007 3:00 am

WHO'S UP NEXT?
    What: Unseeded John Isner will face top-seeded Roger Federer in the third round
    When: Saturday (tentative)

NEW YORK -- During his post-match news conference Monday at the U.S. Open, John Isner demonstrated his newness on the tennis tour by saying he hadn't even heard of his next opponent -- Rik de Voest.

"It's not that he isn't a good player, but I just don't know anybody," said Isner, a first-year pro from Greensboro.

One player he does know about is three-time defending champion Roger Federer, an 11-time grand slam winner. After disposing of unranked de Voest 6-3, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4) in the second round Wednesday night, Isner will face Federer.

A possible Isner-Federer showdown has been the most anticipated match at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center since Isner upset No. 26 seed Jarkko Nieminen three days ago. The matchup, tentatively scheduled for Saturday afternoon, will pit a 22-year-old recent graduate of Georgia against a player poised to shatter Pete Sampras' record of 14 career grand slam titles.

"I haven't seen him play much, but he's doing well, so it's going to be a tough test," Federer said of Isner.

After his victory over de Voest, Isner made it seem like he didn't know much about Federer, either.

"I haven't really heard anything about him," Isner joked. "Is he any good?"

Later, Isner said of the match against Federer: "I'm going to believe. I'm not saying I'm going to win, but I'm going to believe. That's what I have to do."

Isner, 6-feet-9, made quick work of de Voest, winning the first two sets in less than an hour. Then in the third-set tiebreaker, he raced out to a 5-0 lead, gave up four straight points to de Voest and finished the match with two points on his serve.

He had 14 aces in the match, compared to the 34 he served up against Nieminen.

De Voest was adept at getting Isner's serve back into play -- something Nieminen struggled with in the first round. The South African surprised Isner with his returning ability early in the match.

"He really cranked his serve up," de Voest said. "I think he got it up to 139 miles per hour. The thing about it is that it really comes up high, so I just tried to step up and take it on an angle. I think that's why I didn't give up that many aces."

Isner broke de Voest in the seventh game of the first set and picked up his game from there. In the second set, Isner took a 5-1 lead. He exhibited more control with his ground strokes and showed a nice touch with his drop shot. He was broken by de Voest in the seventh game of the set, the first time he lost his serve in the tournament, but still finished the set two games later.

Isner cut down his unforced errors from Monday. After making 70 unforced errors in four sets in his first match, Isner had 21 in three sets Wednesday.

The third-round match against Federer won't be the first time Isner has faced an opponent ranked in the top five. He lost to Andy Roddick at the Legg Mason Classic in Washington earlier this month. During his match Wednesday night against Paul Capdeville, Federer glanced at the scoreboard to see Isner's victory.

"The reality of what he is facing was a temporary downer," said television commentator John McEnroe.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wish Agassi would come back, but I know he won't, he was my favoite tennis player.

More than likely, Federer is going to win this, but it'd be nice to see Andy Roddick win it.

What a great match. So happy for James Blake
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

FORT Fogey

He had my nerves a little frayed there in the fifth, but I was very happy to see James pull that one out. I LOVED watching him turn to his coach and brother and "pull the monkey off his back".

I about died in the fourth set... thinking he was going to just fall apart. And there were quite a few scary moments early in the fifth as well. *sigh* I have no fingernails left.

This Sharapova/Radwanska match is great. Radwanska is up two breaks in the third set. I really didn't expect an upset on the women's side this early.

ETA: And Radwanska pulls it off.
    Last edited by Mariner; 09-01-2007 at 02:27 PM.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;2554960;
    This Sharapova/Radwanska match is great. Radwanska is up two breaks in the third set. I really didn't expect an upset on the women's side this early.

ETA: And Radwanska pulls it off.
    My problem with Sharapova is the obnoxious noise she makes EVERY time she hits the ball. I rarely can sit through one of her matches for this reason, but after she lost the first set, I had to watch hoping for the upset. Loved the 18 year old (30 seed) beating her butt. The only thing that would have been better is if Aggy was an American, but she was wearing red, white, and blue!

I always want an American to win the Open for both the women and the men, but, if I can't have that, I want the best (most interesting) player to win. Isner holds promise and I'm looking forward to watching him play. I like Andy, but he is very awkward rather than smooth.

The James Blake match was fabulous. It was so enjoyable that I stayed up until the end and hoped for a 5 set match. Even though I wanted James to ultimately win (only because he is an American), I was rooting for the other guy through most of the match. Note to James - lay off the strength training, put away the guns and concentrate on cardio and slim down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast