+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: US Open (Tennis)

FORT Fogey
    I think that disliking Justine is kind of like disliking Roger ... it's not only becoming justified, but expected! Besides, any woman who can't get along with Kim Clijsters cannot be that nice of a person.

I feel somewhat sorry for Lindsay, and the way she's being hounded non-stop about whether or not this is her last Open. I don't think she KNOWS if it's her last Open. I don't think she's the kind of player who would map out a retirement like that. But even if she has decided, and it is her last Open, she couldn't really say so. If she does, then it looks like she's trying to get in on Andre's parade. So she has to continue to be hounded and hounded. It'd be even worse if she has every intent of coming back next year, and has these constant reminders that everyone thinks she's washed up!

For tonight, I am happy .
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

I have to say I was happy for Sharepova. She's a fairly classy lady. Hasn't embarassed herself off court, or anyone else for that matter. Looks great in black...but isn't it HOT to play in under that sun?!!

Roddick was losing last I heard. What happened?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fogey
    In case you haven't gotten a recap yet, Roddick lost. All things considered, I think he played well. He just didn't overcome it when his back was against the wall as well as Federer did - no surprise there. But he should hold his head high, and make it his mission to win more sets off Federer the next time they meet. If he keeps doing that, he'll beat him sooner or later.

Sharapova only wore that dress for night matches - perhaps it being hot in the sun was a reason for that. I see both the good and the bad in Sharapova, but I have to say, I LOVED watching her win on Saturday! It's fun to see when a player wins a big tournament and really shows the joy.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    http://www.people.com/people/article...004228,00.html

Tennis Star Lindsay Davenport Pregnant
    WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 13, 2006 06:00 PM EST

There's love off the courts for tennis champ Lindsay Davenport.

The three-time major winner, 30, and her investment-banker husband, Jonathan Leach, are expecting their first child come early summer, according to a statement from her agent to the Associated Press.

The pregnancy will cause this year's 25th-ranked tennis star to miss the start of next season. The rep did not say when Davenport might resume play.

All told, the California native has won 51 titles in singles, 36 in doubles, and finished the 1998, 2001, 2004 and 2005 seasons ranked No. 1. Davenport took the U.S. Open singles title in 1998, Wimbledon in 1999 and the Australian Open in 2000, as well as an Olympic gold medal in 1996.

But despite her victories on the court, life wasn't always so easy for Davenport. When she won the '98 Open at age 22, she told Sports Illustrated that her teen years had been difficult.

"I wasn't a perfect thing at 17," she said. "I didn't have confidence. I was hunched over and real embarrassed, and I didn't want to be in the limelight. But it changed over time. The last couple of years I've gained a lot of confidence. That's the most exciting thing: how much I've had to change to win."
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Re: US Open (Tennis)

Booyah (heh)! It's that time of year, again. So, will one of the Williams sisters give Justine a run for her money? Will Maria Sharapova come through? How about James Blake, Andy Roddick, Rafa?

I love the night play and the spirit of the crowds here. And, I'm looking forward to less depressing news from the world of sports (although the FIBA Americas tourney has provided some relief).
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

FORT Fogey

I'm starting to hate the first week of each major. Each time, I let myself get my hopes up that maybe, just maybe THIS will be the tournament where Federer is knocked out in the first week, and we actually get to have a tournament. And each time, I'm left feeling dissapointed and let down. Why, oh why can't he just have one bad major?

Because Federer is a robot, just like Ivan Lendl. j/k
    I'm hoping some of the younger guys do well this year, and Blake too, I'd love to see him go far. Can't wait to see what the Williams sisters do this tournament too, I think they could both do well. I just hope there are some great matches that are close, no boring blowouts.
    Adversity reveals genius. -Horace

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;2547524;
    Booyah (heh)! It's that time of year, again. So, will one of the Williams sisters give Justine a run for her money? Will Maria Sharapova come through? How about James Blake, Andy Roddick, Rafa?

I love the night play and the spirit of the crowds here. And, I'm looking forward to less depressing news from the world of sports (although the FIBA Americas tourney has provided some relief).
    Just say no to Sharapova! I just cannot warm up to that woman... don't care for her in the least. The women's bracket doesn't have anyone lately that I could say that I would want to actively root for/support.

I am, however, still a Federer fan. He's just a machine, with more failings now than in years past. Maybe not enough yet, however, Veruka. Sorry!!! But I'm definitely rooting for Blake. Hopefully he'll have a great showing for the hometown crowd, just like last year.

FORT Fogey

Sharapova has actually won me over. I used to dislike her quite a bit, and blamed her for Andy Roddick falling apart. But last year, he really started to win me over. The whole "I feel pretty" campaign must have brainwashed me, because I really do like that she's a tough competitor on the courts, but also a girly girl. I LOVE the fact that she's an example of a woman being very feminine AND a great athlete.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast